Skip to main content

No blanket ban on Russia at Rio Olympics


Blanket ban has been rejected.  Decision on individual participation to be taken by sports' governing bodies, in gymnastics' case the FIG.  No one with a prior record of doping, even if they have served their sanction, can compete.

So this looks positive for the Russian gymnasts.  I am going to take some time to digest the IOC statement and see what the FIG do, then I will post a little more.  I have a lot to say about the often simplistic and inappropriate way sections of the media have handled this.  

Russian team have been seen on BBC News channel, from much earlier this morning, at Sheremetyova.    They are currently in the air and will land in Rio at something like 11pm BST (estimated).  Valentina Rodionenko has been quoted on BBC TV! and the Russian gymnasts have been shown in training by Russia Today news.



Comments

  1. So happy we get to see our Russian beauties in Rio! Thanks for the news.

    I'd love to see the BBC clip. I must have missed it earlier

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are repeating bits of it on BBC News now - you can watch online in the UK. So nice to see them all including the reserves and some of the coaches.
    Nagorny with a big neck cushion! It is a long journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will they compete as neutrals?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brief video clip of their Russians gymnast arrival in Rio :) http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASJ7T3F29J7TUTIL00P.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Valentina Rodionenko says that the team already settled to the Olympic village and that the living conditions in the Olympic village are horrible, but is ok :) bcz main goal is to perform well under the pressure!http://rsport.ru/rio2016_gymnastics/20160725/998675113.html http://tass.ru/sport/3482536 P.S. said note look at Rodionenko manicure on the photo in 2nd article :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Manicure is always absolutely the most important thing 😻

      Delete
    2. I'm inspired. Should I have my nails painted in the colours of the Russian flag for the Olympics?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Simone and the others - results and reflections

In the end, it was as predicted : Simone and the others, with Simone's teammate, Alexandra Raisman, providing the back up.  I do not need to point out that, by definition, the Americans are scoring significantly higher marks than the rest of the field.  Congratulations to them! Aliya Mustafina finished in third place.  The 2012 bronze medalist led the competition after vault and uneven bars, but had a very nervous outing on beam that might have taken a less experienced gymnast out of the medals.  A bravura performance on floor brought Aliya back though to confirm her third place all around.  From her senior debut in 2010 to today, Mustafina has continuously set high standards of grace.    It is the first time since 2000 that a gymnast (Amanar) has medalled in the all around at two consecutive Olympics, and  if Aliya can medal on Saturday's uneven bars final, she will once again be Russia's biggest medal winner of the women's gymnastics.  Russ...

Virtual tour of Lake Krugloye

Ksenia from Russia wrote to me as follows : 'I decided to write about a little update on this site .  Suddenly you do not know but you may be interested in "The virtual gym" where you can see the training center for gymnastics at the "Round Lake" A very interesting thing if you want to look into what's inside.' She is right - it is fascinating - with tours of both the men's and women's gyms, pictures of the coaches and gymnasts, and all the different areas, including a reception with displays of awards and the rehabilitation and recovery facilities.  Take some time to click on the arrows and try out all of the different features.  It is in Russian but the tools are reasonably intuitive and if you have a basic grasp of the Cyrillic alphabet you can make sense of the whole. Scrolling round the panorama makes me feel a little bit dizzy and also gives a slightly distorted perspective to some of the views, which I think is a characteristic...

Viktoria Komova - apology

Viktoria wrote some hasty words last night in the heat of the moment.  We all have such times, when hurt feelings lead us to behave uncharacteristically.  It is not important what she said; it is important that Vika has reflected and wants us all to read this message which she published on VK.com this morning. "Dear friends! I want to apologize for my statements about American girls, about drugs, all my words were spoken on emotions. Of course I haven't any proof and didn't really mean it and so on... I am so sorry. I want to apologize for my character to all of you". Vika, we are still with you every step of the way.

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more