Skip to main content

Mustafina Interview 2 of 2 : 'I will only perform under the Russian flag'


Argumentyi i Fakti interview with Aliya Mustafina
Translated by Marina Vulis



‘I have no fear’, says Aliya Mustafina.  ‘My father [Farhat Mustafin, the bronze medallist in Greco-Roman wrestling at the 1976 Olympics] took me to my first gymnastics class.  In his opinion children need to do sports, and he saw gymnastics as useful for my general development.  He had no goals – just to let us practice.’

It did not end with ‘just practice’ – she became the World Champion at 16, but then had an ACL injury the next year (2011) at the Europeans.  Even just returning to gymnastics is a feat; then she came back to win four medals at the 2012 Olympics.

Aliya Mustafina – That injury.  I do not know why I was ashamed – so many people were watching me and I could not even walk.  My parents!  They saw everything on TV (the coach had to carry her from the podium).  Of course I was aware that anything could happen in gymnastics, but I did not believe it would happen to me.  Then it happened.

Roman Ivanov – Did they tell you that you would have to retire?

Not directly.  No one would dare.  But there were speculations that very few could come back after such an injury.  However, I paid no attention to that, set a goal of coming back, and pursued that as a goal. 

Are you afraid it could happen again?

No

Why?

If I could survive it once, then I could do the same a second time around.  It is not a good idea to be constantly afraid of injuries.  Nothing good will come of this.

So they say ‘Mustafina is made of iron’ for a reason

I am normal, made from the same stuff as others, but honestly I do not like to talk about myself.

A while ago you used to avoid the press

How would I explain this.  I am a very shy person, and do not like personal questions.  True, over the years I have learned how to react better.

How does the Aliya Mustafina who won medals in London 2012 differ from the one who is now preparing for Rio?

The other Aliya was only 17 years old.  You know the saying, ‘everything is easy and simple for small, short kids’?   As you grow older, it is physically harder; but on the other hand, age brings experience.  It means a lot.

Is it hard to prepare in the current atmosphere surrounding the entire Russian team for the Olympics?

I try to avoid the news and the internet.  My job is to work to the very end, to do my thing and whatever happens, happens. 

Unlike you, the track and field athletes will not be participating in the Olympics.

What is happening to our sports is awful.  Probably somewhere, they have given a reason for this but why do innocent people have to suffer because of a few others?  Can you imagine the feelings of the people who were honestly preparing for the Olympics?

You said that you would not perform under the white IOC flag in the case of a blanket ban, right?

Yes, I only want to perform under the Russian flag.  This is my choice, and I do not condemn the choices of others, even though I do not think it is right.

Does gymnastics have a problem with banned substances?

I personally never came across any.

You didn’t even use the ‘infamous’ meldonium?

When I was ten years old, they gave it to everyone, then they stopped.  I honestly still do not get what it is and how it helps.  In fact, our team doctor prescribes all medications for the gymnasts, and he carefully checks for forbidden ingredients.  He is responsible for all medications and I trust him.

The other unpleasant part of sport is subjective judging.  Have you come across this?

In our sport, everything depends on the judges, especially when talking about hundredths of a point.  Sometimes the Difficulty score isn’t counted in its entirety – but what are you going to do?  You won’t cry, right?  Just make sure in your performance that you will give no reason for that.

They often call you the team leader, do you consider yourself to be so?

We have a normal team, there is no need to ‘pull rank’ on anyone, everyone knows what to do and they hardly need a leader

But what is needed?  What would you like to change in gymnastics?

The biggest problem is that too few children are doing gymnastics, so there are not many gymnasts to select from.  Other countries have a bigger reserve.  We need to address this. 

Do you think that your success comes from your genes?

A combination of good genetics and a desire to succeed and work, work, work. 

How long do you spend in the gym?

At the moment on average, about seven and a half hours each day.  It’s not enough anyway.  I have been practically living at ‘Round Lake’ for the last five years.  I only visit Moscow at weekends to see my parents and my sister, to unwind.  Sometimes, I am so tired I do not have enough energy for a trip to Moscow. 

‘I’m tired of it all’.  You have probably had these thoughts

A few years ago, I realised I had to stop training for a while, listen to myself and decide what I wanted to do.  Fatigue had built up after the London Olympics.  I had practically never rested.  You know, we usually only rest when we are sick, but then we are hardly ever sick.  Finally, I reached the limit of my moral strength.  I skipped gym for about one and a half months, stayed at home with my family.  I was just living, everything became easier.  Eventually, I came back to Round Lake.

So you can’t imagine life without gymnastics?

Why not?  But a little bit later.

Nevertheless, you decided to get a sports education

After high school.  I studied economics at the Oil and Natural Gas University until I realised that I could not combine this type of education with gymnastics training.  I transferred to the University of Physical Culture, Youth and Tourism.  It is simple; for now, my major is coaching, although I have not decided if this will be my occupation.  I will probably need to take another degree.

So what would you like to do in the future?

(Smiling) Be a mum.

Would you bring your daughter to artistic gymnastics?

No, to rhythmic.  It is beautiful.  And artistic gymnastics has me (laughing).













Comments

  1. She sounds very level headed!! great role model for the team! Glad we will get to see her compete in rio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An amazingly well adjusted young woman. So much to admire in Aliya beyond her gymnastics. She is one of the greats. Champions come and go but she is one of those we will be talking about years hence.
    On another note what is the situation with Paseka and Melnikova?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doping athlete is not innocent, all led by Russian government, many Russians are not aware of the truth under Putin's lead.
    But still, Mustafina is such a great athlete, Russia doesn't really need to use doping to produce gold!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that she had such a reputation for avoiding the press when she was a teenager that it always gets brought up when she's interviewed now. It's been such a pleasure to watch her over the years! It seems like we're seeing a trend in gymnastics worldwide with more top gymnasts staying in the sport for longer, and I'm happy about it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering last summer - Nelli Kim, her judges and Viktoria Komova

In view of Nelli Kim's recent interview , Lupita and I thought it timely to revisit the performance of some of the WTC President's judges over past competitions ... this article from 27th August 2012 is reposted here, as a reminder. You will find a link to the FIG's newly published book of results at the Olympic Games here .  This year, they have broken down the judge's execution scores so you can see exactly how each judge evaluated the gymnasts' performances.  It makes for interesting reading - if only I had more time to analyse each judge's marking.  A skim reading already highlights multiple inconsistencies in individual judges' marks and makes you wonder why they bother with the jury at all. I have taken the time to look at the reference judges' scores for the top four in the women's all around.  The FIG explains here what their role is, and how they are selected.  I even used my calculator, which is a risky thing in my hands.  M

UPDATE 23/9 - Russian WAG team for Nanning confirmed

Daria Spiridonova will compete at her first World Championships this autumn.  Picture : RGF Natalia Kalugina has confirmed the Russian team for Nanning : Aliya Mustafina, Maria Kharenkova, Tatiana Nabieva,Ekaterina Kramarenko, Alla Sosnitskaya, Daria Spiridonova.  Reserve : Polina Fyodorova Here is a paraphrased translation of a comment by Natalia Kalugina on her Facebook page : 'Aliya has confidence in competition and she is, kind of, a coach to this team.  In Europe she succeeded in this role and she has told the coaches that she even liked it. The main fighting force will be Kharenkova, Sosnitskaya and Spiridonova.  Accordingly, the strongest apparatus will be beam (Marina Bulashenko With God!).  The Chinese women, of course, have been known to win that apparatus, but if one falls, they all fall.   Alla Sosnitskaya could compete in the vault final, and - in theory - on the floor. On bars, of course, Russia will probably lose to the Chinese women, but they should be able to hold

Andrei Rodionenko explains Russia's performance at Worlds - Lupitatranslates

Rodionenko with European Champion David Belyavski  Courtesy RGF/Elena Mikhailova This is the interview that many people on the internet have already commented on, regarding Andrei Rodionenko's alleged racism.  The original, Russian language version, appears on VTB Bank's website (VTB are sponsors of Russian gymnastics).  It takes cleverer people than me to decide what is racism, what is deliberately perjorative, and what is inferred in an interviewer's question.  For now, I will not comment on this, therefore, but I would ask you to read Lupita's translation carefully before you form your own opinion.   I am providing some links below which might help you to decide where you stand. Definition of racism Definition of sexism BBC Sport article by Matthew Syed : Is it wrong to note that 100m winners are always black?            Updated 24/10 CSKA Moscow: UEFA opens racist chants case             http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24654499 Andrei

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more