Skip to main content
Aliya Mustafina, "I will act only under the flag of Russia"

Article from the newspaper: The weekly "Arguments and Facts" number 30, 27/07/2016
 All materials of the plot situation surrounding the admission of Russian athletes at the Olympics-2016
One of the best gymnasts of the world in an interview with "AIF" tells the story of those who chose the Olympics, on the limit of moral strength and the price of any coin.

 "Fear me not!", - Says Aliya Mustafina.
"Fear me not!", - Says Aliya Mustafina. © / Maxim Blinov / RIA Novosti
2
1
- In section I, 6-year-old, I brought Dad (father Alija - Farhat Mustafin - Greco-Roman style, bronze medalist of the Olympic Games 1976 - Ed.).. He believed that children should be in the sport, and chose as a general developmental gymnastics discipline. Any special purposes nobody put: "Well, just work out." Just - it did not work.

She's only 16 years old, and she was the absolute world champion (2010). And then - a serious leg injury in the European championship. Doctors ascertained cruciate ligament rupture of the knee. After that go back to the gym - in itself a feat. Alia came back and won four medals at the London Olympics.

dossier
Aliya Mustafina. Born in 1994 in Egorievsk. Champion, two-time silver and bronze medalist of the 2012 Olympics. Three-time world champion, three-time European champion. In 2012, recognized as Athlete of the Year in Russia.
Aliya Mustafina: That trauma ... I do not know, somehow I felt ashamed - so many people looked at me, and I can not go. And the parents! They all saw it on TV! (The platform Alia left in the hands of the trainers - Ed.). Of course, I always be aware: anything can happen in the gym. But for some reason I believed that elude me trouble. It turned out, no.

Roman Ivanov, "AIF": You have been told: "Everything will have to tie with the sport?"

- Just like that - no. No one would have dared. (Laughs.) While talking about the fact that after such injuries, few able to recover were. On them I was not paying attention. I set a goal to return to their level and went to her.

- The fear that it might happen again, is there?

- Nope.

- Why?

- Well, if you lived through once, and the second will survive. If you are constantly afraid of injuries, to dwell on them, to no good it will not.

 
 
 
 
Russia's Aliya Mustafina won first place in the uneven bars during the final competition in artistic gymnastics women at the XXX Olympic Games 2012 in London, at the awards ceremony.
Russia's Aliya Mustafina won first place in the uneven bars during the final competition in artistic gymnastics women at the XXX Olympic Games 2012 in London, at the awards ceremony. Photo: RIA Novosti / Alexey Filippov
- It seems no coincidence that say about you, "Mustafina - iron."

- I normal. From the same test as all people. But, honestly, I do not really like talking about myself.

- You used to just avoid talking to journalists ...

- How would you explain. I am a very shy person. I do not like when I ask some personal questions. The only thing I have learned over the years, more quietly respond to them.

- How do different Aliya Mustafina, who won medals in London 2012, from the one that prepares for Rio 2016?

- That Alie was only 17 years old. And as they say: "Everything is easy and simple short stature children." The older you get, the harder - physically. On the other hand, the years - an experience. He gives a lot.

 Fast filtering. From the Russian Olympic team was expelled 113 people
Tablets and judges

- It is hard to prepare for the Olympics, given the atmosphere in which the entire Russian team lately?

- I try not to read the news, do not open the Internet. My task - to work to the last, to do their job, and there too ...

- Athletes, unlike you, on the Olympic Games in Rio will not have to act.

- What happens to our sport - it's awful. Yes, probably, themselves somewhere gave rise. But why is because individuals have to suffer those who are in no way involved? Just imagine that now people feel that honestly preparing for the Olympics ?!

- You said that you will not act under the white flag of the IOC in the case of the removal of Russia from the Olympic Games. Right?

- Yes, I want to speak only under the flag of Russia. It's my choice, someone he could be different, but the blame for this, I think, not quite right.

- In the gym there is a problem with the use of illegal drugs?

- Personally, I have never encountered.

- Even the sensational mildronat did not use?

- When I was 10 years old, gave his all. Then they stopped. Honestly, I still do not know what kind of pills: Do they help in something or not.

 Members of the Russian Olympic team. "It's sad to tears." Who are the Russians will not be allowed to the Olympics 2016? I can only say that in our team all the medications the doctor assigns. He sees to it that they do not contain any prohibited substances. It's his job - in charge of drugs, and I trust him.
- Another ugly side of sport - biased refereeing. Since it had to face?

- We have a sport that all depends on the judges, especially when we are talking about hundredths of a point. It happens that in the database (the content of the exercise, its complexity -. Ed.) Short-change. It's a shame, of course, but did not cry though. Just do not do so they had an excuse.

"I want to be a mother ..."

- You called the leader of the team. You think you are alone?

- We have a strong line-up, nobody should drag, drag. All themselves know what to do. So the leader, we hardly needed.

- What you need? What would you like to change in the gym?

- The greatest problem - little children bring to our sport. It was not from whom to choose. Other countries reserve more. Here is something to think.

 
 
 
 
Aliya Mustafina at the European Championships in artistic gymnastics in Bern. 2016.
Aliya Mustafina at the European Championships in artistic gymnastics in Bern. 2016. Photo: www.globallookpress.com
- What do you think your results, you are required to work longer or genes?

- It is a combination. Good natural data, the desire to achieve something, and work, work, work ...

- How much time do you spend in the gym?

- On average, 7.5 hours per day. And still not enough. For 5 years, I actually live in the "Round Lake". (Sports harbor in the suburbs, training center for national teams -. Ed.) Selects the home to Moscow only on weekends - to see my parents, take a walk with her younger sister, somehow unwind. While there, I get tired so that forces even on this trip remains.

 "Where will the coin, if malyshnёy not do?" To be or to be called. Whether Russia will remain a sports power?
- "How do I tired of all this!" - Surely had such thoughts?

- There was a time a couple of years ago. I just had to stay without exercise, listen to yourself, to understand what I want really, and what do not. Fatigue kopilas more with the London Olympics. I almost did not rest. We've How? We rested only when sick. And we very rarely get sick. In general, there has come a limit - not even the physical and moral strength. Somewhere half months did not go to the gym. Studied, I was at home with his family. Just live. And it was easier. I went back to "round".

- That is not gymnastics life can not imagine?

- Why? It even imagine. But just a little later.

- However you choose to receive education sport.

- After school I attended this year at the University of Oil and Gas at the Faculty of Economics and Management, but realized that it is combining education with training I can not. I had to transfer to RGUFK (University of Physical Education and Sports, Youth and Tourism -. Ed.). It is easier. I study at the coach. But for myself I have not yet decided whether it will become a profession. I'm not sure until the end, it's mine. I think it will be necessary to obtain a second higher education later.

- So who do you still want to become in the future?

- Mom. (Smiles.)

- Would you give your daughter to gymnastics?

- No. I'll give it to an art. That's very beautiful. And then in gymnastics I have. (Laughs.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering last summer - Nelli Kim, her judges and Viktoria Komova

In view of Nelli Kim's recent interview , Lupita and I thought it timely to revisit the performance of some of the WTC President's judges over past competitions ... this article from 27th August 2012 is reposted here, as a reminder. You will find a link to the FIG's newly published book of results at the Olympic Games here .  This year, they have broken down the judge's execution scores so you can see exactly how each judge evaluated the gymnasts' performances.  It makes for interesting reading - if only I had more time to analyse each judge's marking.  A skim reading already highlights multiple inconsistencies in individual judges' marks and makes you wonder why they bother with the jury at all. I have taken the time to look at the reference judges' scores for the top four in the women's all around.  The FIG explains here what their role is, and how they are selected.  I even used my calculator, which is a risky thing in my hands.  M

Andrei Rodionenko explains Russia's performance at Worlds - Lupitatranslates

Rodionenko with European Champion David Belyavski  Courtesy RGF/Elena Mikhailova This is the interview that many people on the internet have already commented on, regarding Andrei Rodionenko's alleged racism.  The original, Russian language version, appears on VTB Bank's website (VTB are sponsors of Russian gymnastics).  It takes cleverer people than me to decide what is racism, what is deliberately perjorative, and what is inferred in an interviewer's question.  For now, I will not comment on this, therefore, but I would ask you to read Lupita's translation carefully before you form your own opinion.   I am providing some links below which might help you to decide where you stand. Definition of racism Definition of sexism BBC Sport article by Matthew Syed : Is it wrong to note that 100m winners are always black?            Updated 24/10 CSKA Moscow: UEFA opens racist chants case             http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24654499 Andrei

Review of Russian WAG at the 2014 World Championships

The Russians during a team talk in training for the World Championships.  Courtesy RGF Bronze all the way for Russia then.  Beyond the euphoria and surprise of this morning's competition there doesn't really seem to be much to write home about. I am delighted for Aliya personally that the efforts she has made to help the team have provided her with some tangible result, but the principal feeling at the end of the competition is that of relief.  As Vaitsekhovskaya said in her article last week, there were no moments of shock and awe from the Russians, and that's what will be needed if they are to compete for gold medals in Rio (translation available here ). Let's consider a timeline of the competition : before, during and after. BEFORE The promise of a return to the Worlds stage by Viktoria Komova gave Russia a feeling of optimism pre-Russia Cup.  However, Viktoria's performance at this important competition gave little reason for celebration.  Ye

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more