Skip to main content

'Aliya has a complete set - I only have silver and bronze' - Interview with Rio-bound gymnast Maria Paseka

Maria Paseka, courtesy of the RGF

Interview by Mikhail Chesalin

I have a dream - an Olympic gold medal

- Maria, you missed the European Championships, because the coaching staff decided to give you a rest.  What was the problem and is everything OK now?

- At Russian Championships, I hurt my back, so during Europeans I had to go to hospital to relieve the pain.  But now everything is in order.

- You were unhappy with your result in the Russia Cup?

- Because I fell on the vault. You already know that even at Europeans, I can't win with a fall.  At Russia Cup I won because of my D score advantage, but I was unhappy with my execution.

- What went wrong?

- I'm just not yet in optimal shape. I'm in good shape, but not in the way you have to be before Worlds, Olympics or Europe. But for Rio, everything will be all right.

- Four years ago, you went to your first Olympics as almost a novice with hardly any titles to your name.  Now you are one of the leaders of the Russian national team - is this a pressure?

-  To be honest, nothing has changed.  I feel about the same.

- Your pre-Olympic emotions and expectations are no different from those that you experienced in 2012?

- I do not really remember. I was so euphoric after my successful performances that I probably only woke up again in 2014 (smiles).

- Last year you won Worlds, European Championships, the Universiade. Do you feel that you are making progress?

- Yes, I do. But that was 2015. Well done, I have taken my congratulations and now that's all over. Next year, next season - that's quite another matter. Now you need to think as though you have nothing, start all over again from scratch.

- In the world championship Russian team finished fourth in the team competition. Why did it happen and what to do to get into the top three?
I remember that the first time she was all pale, and I Ksenia Afanasyeva bother. Olympics do not compare with the world championships and Evropy.- We must not fall, that's all. We had a fall on the uneven bars and balance beam - that rob us of a place in the top three. You just need to perform at their level, then we are in the top three.

- What can you advise a friend on the team, who go to the Olympics for the first time?
- The main thing - do not worry when you exit the platform. I remember the very first time was all pale and I Ksenia Afanasyeva bother. Olympics do not compare with the world and European championships - it is something special. When the audience shout, there is impossible to hear something. We need only listen to themselves. And no need to worry.

http://www.championat.com/other/article-251602-gimnastka-marija-paseka--ob-ozhidanijah-ot-olimpiady-2016.html

- You're at the Olympic Games and Universiade more than once were part of one big team of Russia. Do keep in touch with the representatives of other sports?
- We talk, for example, girls who are engaged in artistic gymnastics. But they base elsewhere. Someone have friends from swimming. But mostly we communicate with our boys. At the Universiade talked with the brother of Seda, which is engaged in combat sports. We have long been friends, he knows us all. We have not seen each other, walk up together. He came, rooting for us. But again, we talked and dispersed - such that all the time, no.

- In Brazil, a lot of problems: favela, Zika virus - not afraid to fly?
I, like any athlete has a dream - a gold medal of the Olympics. Aliya here is a complete set, and yet I have only silver and bronza.- Honestly, I'm afraid. More bite someone ... is terrible. I do not understand, why spend the Olympics in such countries. What if something really happens? It would be better spent in Moscow. Or in Sochi again (smiles).

- Your preparation before the Olympics somehow change?
- No, the preparation practically unchanged. The only thing - a greater emphasis placed on the fact that we do not fall. If we fall, you can either continue or stop, but if coordination is not considered. We try to work so that it was no fall, no misfires, no errors. At the Olympics because all can solve one hundredth.

- What do expect from yourself at the Olympics in Brazil?
- I do not want to think. I do not know. I, like any athlete has a dream - a gold medal of the Olympics. Aliya here has a complete set (laughs), I do not only silver and bronze. I would like to gold, of course. But it all they want. So I will train hard, and then we'll see what happens.
Source: "Cup" version of Report an error
Evaluate the work of the journalist with 4 votes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering last summer - Nelli Kim, her judges and Viktoria Komova

In view of Nelli Kim's recent interview , Lupita and I thought it timely to revisit the performance of some of the WTC President's judges over past competitions ... this article from 27th August 2012 is reposted here, as a reminder. You will find a link to the FIG's newly published book of results at the Olympic Games here .  This year, they have broken down the judge's execution scores so you can see exactly how each judge evaluated the gymnasts' performances.  It makes for interesting reading - if only I had more time to analyse each judge's marking.  A skim reading already highlights multiple inconsistencies in individual judges' marks and makes you wonder why they bother with the jury at all. I have taken the time to look at the reference judges' scores for the top four in the women's all around.  The FIG explains here what their role is, and how they are selected.  I even used my calculator, which is a risky thing in my hands.  M

Andrei Rodionenko explains Russia's performance at Worlds - Lupitatranslates

Rodionenko with European Champion David Belyavski  Courtesy RGF/Elena Mikhailova This is the interview that many people on the internet have already commented on, regarding Andrei Rodionenko's alleged racism.  The original, Russian language version, appears on VTB Bank's website (VTB are sponsors of Russian gymnastics).  It takes cleverer people than me to decide what is racism, what is deliberately perjorative, and what is inferred in an interviewer's question.  For now, I will not comment on this, therefore, but I would ask you to read Lupita's translation carefully before you form your own opinion.   I am providing some links below which might help you to decide where you stand. Definition of racism Definition of sexism BBC Sport article by Matthew Syed : Is it wrong to note that 100m winners are always black?            Updated 24/10 CSKA Moscow: UEFA opens racist chants case             http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24654499 Andrei

Review of Russian WAG at the 2014 World Championships

The Russians during a team talk in training for the World Championships.  Courtesy RGF Bronze all the way for Russia then.  Beyond the euphoria and surprise of this morning's competition there doesn't really seem to be much to write home about. I am delighted for Aliya personally that the efforts she has made to help the team have provided her with some tangible result, but the principal feeling at the end of the competition is that of relief.  As Vaitsekhovskaya said in her article last week, there were no moments of shock and awe from the Russians, and that's what will be needed if they are to compete for gold medals in Rio (translation available here ). Let's consider a timeline of the competition : before, during and after. BEFORE The promise of a return to the Worlds stage by Viktoria Komova gave Russia a feeling of optimism pre-Russia Cup.  However, Viktoria's performance at this important competition gave little reason for celebration.  Ye

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more