Skip to main content

'I never thought about another sport. I only like gymnastics' - interview with Angelina Melnikova, 15 year old rising star of Russian Gymnastics


Photographs of Gelya Melnikova courtesy of the Russian Gymnastics Federation

An interview with the soon-to-be 16 year old Angelina ('Gelya') Melnikova, by Daria Boychenko for Russian website Argumentyi y Fakti.

-  Angelina, how did you first come to gymnastics?  How many years have you been in the sport?

-  I started at 6 years old, when my grandmother brought me to the gym.  First of all, I had done Russian folk dancing, but that bored me.  Someone told us about the Shtukman Sports School. I liked it there immediately, and next day took up training.

- And what 'hooked' you on gymnastics?

- When we came to the sports school, I saw a girl do a somersault.  I was so impressed with it, I also wanted to learn how to do it, right away.

- If you hadn't done gymnastics, what other sport would you choose?

- I never thought about another sport. I only like gymnastics.

- So, are you a gym fan?

- No. I do not watch competitions, I just like to train, to do what I can.

In 2013, I had serious problems with my knee. The whole year I suffered with Osgood Schlatter [a common cause of knee pain in adolescents].   It was hard to practice and I hardly trained. Somehow, though, I endured the pain, and over time it got better by itself.

- Were there times when you wanted to quit the sport?

- Yes, this time because of the pain of a very sore, inflamed ear. Usually I'm patient, and even if something hurts, I do not often tell my coach. But I just couldn't put up with this pain. After training I went home and cried, saying that I didn't want to do it any more, because tumbling hurts. Mum asked me to put up with it just a little more.  Then, we had a competition, where I won five first places. After that, once again, I wanted to train. Now I train an average of eight hours a day.  I do not even have the strength to go for a walk, some days.

- Is it more difficult on a physical or mental level?

- Sometimes it's more a matter of morale.  Especially just before competitions, when something goes wrong. You begin to fear that at the meet you won't be able to do it. It's a bit depressing.

15 year old Angelina Melnikova from Voronezh, Russia, with her coach Sergei Denisovich.  'Gelya' trains in the same gym as 2012 Olympic medallist, Viktoria Komova
- What do you prefer: training or the end result?

- It is an interconnected process. When you train for a long time, doing the same thing time and again can be frustrating.  In competition, you check yourself.  After your performance, you try to analyze and correct errors. Then in training you work to refine the problematic elements again.
- You have the Olympics just round the corner.  The level of competition has changed and everything has become more serious.  Have you turned to a new page in your life?

- I still do not understand that I am competing at this level. I just do not notice it as a matter of course. Perhaps I began to notice when I won the Russian Championships in March-April this year. Still, I only turned senior this year.

- On July 24th, you will travel to Brazil. How are you feeling now - looking forward to victory?

- I do not ever try to guess what will happen - we'll see. I just try to do my training, and I do not make predictions.

- But isn't it terrible - what if you can't live up to the country's expectations?

- Getting ready for the Olympics is always difficult mentally.  I am more worried for my team than for the country.  I do not want to let anyone down, so I hope to perform with dignity.

Comments

  1. I absolutely love her calm, mature and composed attitude. She is a fighter and a work horse, and this is exactly the type of attitude the team needs in the new generation that will inevitably have to replace the old guard. If she keeps it up, she will go so far. I can only hope her hard work and dedication will be rewarded in Rio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If she keeps this up she will do even better in 2020. Please stay healthy. I'm glad she's not upgrading too fast. If she does her best in Rio she will still miss the AA podium unless there are falls from Americans age Chinese. However at this point in her career an AA medal is both the goal. She will help the team immensely to get bronze or even team silver.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Queen E, have you seen this yet? I'm sure everything will be just fine but what a spot of worry if God forbidding, something came of this that affected our team's participation in a few weeks.

    http://www.flogymnastics.com/article/43715-draft-letter-from-sports-leaders-ban-russia-from-olympics

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering last summer - Nelli Kim, her judges and Viktoria Komova

In view of Nelli Kim's recent interview , Lupita and I thought it timely to revisit the performance of some of the WTC President's judges over past competitions ... this article from 27th August 2012 is reposted here, as a reminder. You will find a link to the FIG's newly published book of results at the Olympic Games here .  This year, they have broken down the judge's execution scores so you can see exactly how each judge evaluated the gymnasts' performances.  It makes for interesting reading - if only I had more time to analyse each judge's marking.  A skim reading already highlights multiple inconsistencies in individual judges' marks and makes you wonder why they bother with the jury at all. I have taken the time to look at the reference judges' scores for the top four in the women's all around.  The FIG explains here what their role is, and how they are selected.  I even used my calculator, which is a risky thing in my hands.  M

Andrei Rodionenko explains Russia's performance at Worlds - Lupitatranslates

Rodionenko with European Champion David Belyavski  Courtesy RGF/Elena Mikhailova This is the interview that many people on the internet have already commented on, regarding Andrei Rodionenko's alleged racism.  The original, Russian language version, appears on VTB Bank's website (VTB are sponsors of Russian gymnastics).  It takes cleverer people than me to decide what is racism, what is deliberately perjorative, and what is inferred in an interviewer's question.  For now, I will not comment on this, therefore, but I would ask you to read Lupita's translation carefully before you form your own opinion.   I am providing some links below which might help you to decide where you stand. Definition of racism Definition of sexism BBC Sport article by Matthew Syed : Is it wrong to note that 100m winners are always black?            Updated 24/10 CSKA Moscow: UEFA opens racist chants case             http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24654499 Andrei

Review of Russian WAG at the 2014 World Championships

The Russians during a team talk in training for the World Championships.  Courtesy RGF Bronze all the way for Russia then.  Beyond the euphoria and surprise of this morning's competition there doesn't really seem to be much to write home about. I am delighted for Aliya personally that the efforts she has made to help the team have provided her with some tangible result, but the principal feeling at the end of the competition is that of relief.  As Vaitsekhovskaya said in her article last week, there were no moments of shock and awe from the Russians, and that's what will be needed if they are to compete for gold medals in Rio (translation available here ). Let's consider a timeline of the competition : before, during and after. BEFORE The promise of a return to the Worlds stage by Viktoria Komova gave Russia a feeling of optimism pre-Russia Cup.  However, Viktoria's performance at this important competition gave little reason for celebration.  Ye

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more