Skip to main content

Denis Ablyazin : Again, into battle

Denis Ablyazin has qualified to three of today's event finals.  Courtesy RGF


Event finals begin today at 10 am local time with the juniors, and 3 pm local time for the seniors.  Lots of interesting gymnastics on the way.  The big question will be, can the gymnasts recover quickly from yesterday's emotional and physical exertions and compete once more at full strength today?  Both Russia and Britain had good days yesterday, can they repeat their form today?  Will the talented Ukrainians win gold?  Which new faces will emerge?

Russia's leading gymnast at this event-focussed European Championships has been talking.

'It was a very tough day, the fight was difficult between all eight teams ... Today, the competition took away a lot of physical strength and nerves. And we were able to win by a confident performance on each of the events - we made hardly any mistakes ... Fewer than predicted.

... Tomorrow we will compete - and then there will be a little time to exhale.  Finals start at 15.00. So we will quietly get some sleep, rejuvenate - and then again back to battle.'

http://www.championat.com/other/news-1841248-gimnast-abljazin-posle-pobedy-v-komandakh-vosstanovim-sily--i-snova-v-boj.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who really won the WAG All Around?

You will find a link to the FIG's newly published book of results at the Olympic Games here .  This year, they have broken down the judge's execution scores so you can see exactly how each judge evaluated the gymnasts' performances.  It makes for interesting reading - if only I had more time to analyse each judge's marking.  A skim reading already highlights multiple inconsistencies in individual judges' marks and makes you wonder why they bother with the jury at all. I have taken the time to look at the reference judges' scores for the top four in the women's all around.  The FIG explains here what their role is, and how they are selected.  I even used my calculator, which is a risky thing in my hands.  My, how I wish we could have seen a similar document for the Tokyo World Championships. I wonder if anyone can explain how, if the FIG's Code of Points is so objective and fair, it is possible to come up with two different results using two differ...

Aliya Mustafina - 'each medal is very special'

'I'm very happy that everything turned out well today  ... Each medal is very special.  The UK team made mistakes, so there was a wide margin [of victory]... But naturally, [what I did] is not enough for the Olympics.  I prepared well for beam and bars but I am not ready for floor, I stepped up to help the team. ... To be honest, I did not look at the scores [when asked how the team reacted to the 6.5 gap before the final apparatus].  Gelya (Melnikova) is a good girl, she did everything and did not falter ... Seda fell on quite a complex element.  There is more work to do, but everything else went well.' [About a protest taken by the coaches on her beam score]. 'I am used to my protests being rejected, everything is normal!' Via vk.com I n other news , the UEG has confirmed that Spiridonova will replace Melnikova in tomorrow's bars final. No reason is given, but it is generally considered that Dasha has a better chance of gold.  This decision also means tha...

Mustering up that musty magic

Moments after qualifying for the team, AA and UB finals, Aliya gave a short interview to Elena Vaitsekhovskaya for Sports Express.  The accompanying pictures tell as much as the words. Asked about her fall from beam, Aliya said, 'I have forgotten about it already.  There is no point in remembering it.' 'It was very hard waiting for the competition to begin; I could only just bear it.  Every morning, I wake up with the same thought, wanting it all to be over as quickly as possible,' said Aliya. Asked about her bars performance, where she scored the highest of all to date, Aliya said, 'Can I tell you a secret?  It was me who did it!'      Team captain, consoling a disappointed Angelina Melnikova     The life of a champion is essentially a solitary one, when it comes to the hard moments of competition.     Seda Tutkhalyan is the top Russian qualifier in the AA Source - Sports Express.ru

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more