Skip to main content

Viktoria Komova - I will be ready for the Rio Olympic Games. Interview with the Russian WAG team.

Aliya shows off the team#s patriotic manicure!  Picture courtesy of the RGF
Veronika has kindly translated two TV interviews with the Russian WAG team in Baku.  At the moment, the videos aren't available in the UK as they have been geoblocked, but I have provided the links below.

Now read on ...


Interview with Dmitry Zanin (correspondent).

A couple of years ago an interview with Aliya was a difficult test for a journalist, but now everything is quite different. 

- So was your job simply to win and nothing else?  Or just to compete with all your strength and show everything that you can do?

Aliya - Not at all, you can't set a target to win or to take first place - the task was the same for everyone.  We had to compete our programmes, perform well enough and then the result will follow. 

- How is your health, how much of your programme is ready, do you have pain?

Vika - No trouble or pain, I am about 70% ready.  It is hard to compete in an international arena after such a long time, unsettling, especially on beam.  My floor landings were not very confident.  I hope I will become more confident in future.

-  Many viewers will be surprised that you are already twenty years old - what do you think?

Vika - Well it seems only recently that I was a 15 year old at the YOG in Singapore, then 16 years old at the Olympic Games.  Time flies by very quickly. 

-  You had a difficult three years - injury, illness

Vika - Yes, it was very difficult.  I have recovered, but I did have injuries time and again.  I had to take two breaks over these three years. 

-  This year you missed the Russian Championships, the European Championships, and the preparation for these competitions.  Your long break from competition must have affected your performances - maybe you were overexcited!

Aliya - In my life I have experienced a long break from competition (my knee) so it isn't difficult for me now.  The hardest thing was vault.  I just raised my hand, made the vault, and everything became easier. 

-  You're very satisfied?

Vika - satisfied
Vika - I am satisfied that I have made my return to international competition.  Not everything turned out right, but I need to practice more, and get into better shape.

-  What are your plans for next year's Olympic Games?

Vika -  I will be ready.

-  You want to compete, do you have the strength?

Vika -  That's the reason I came back.

-  Your routines here - will they be your programme for Rio?

Aliya - I'll be doing different things on different apparatus - beam more or less the same, uneven bars I will add a little bit, vault, I will try the Amanar or learn something new.  My floor also will be better.

About Rio (second video)

Aliya - I really want to prepare and perform, I want to compete in Rio.  But after Rio, we will see; it depends on my health, my motivation.  After so many years in the sport, it's difficult. 

-  Lots of foreign journalists want to talk to you, will you learn English?

Aliya - No, not yet (laughs).  After training all I really want to do is sleep, I don't want to learn English.

-  How tall were you at the Olympics?

Vika - 150 cm

- and now?

Vika -  162 cm

-  How can you continue to do gymnastics when you have grown twelve centimetres? 

Vika - It's very difficult and painful.  I've had to redo all of my combinations all over again, especially on the bars.  That is a little bit difficult.  It's necessary to go back to the start again, but everything is very exciting for me, as usual. 

Seda Tutkhalyan with her gold medal on Monday.  You can just about see the manicure!

-  One of the smallest athletes is 142 cms.  So, let's talk about your manicure.

Seda - My mum suggested the manicure, it matches our leotards and the colour of the flag. 

-  Did you want that?

Seda  -  I didn't think about it, my mother suggested it (smile).

-  Were you nervous to be in the company of Olympic champions, at your first senior competition?

Seda -  Yesterday I was a little bit more worried, but I am used to it now.



Sportbox video link

Rossiya 2 video link

Hopefully, the videos will be posted on Youtube some time soon, so that we can view them as well as read Veronika's fab translations.

THANK YOU VERONIKA! 

Comments

  1. such a great pleasure to see Vika's phenomenal comeback:) Her fighting spirit especially on beam shows significant improvement from London! Go Vika:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

USSR is a mighty sports power!

Once upon a time sportsmen were heros and role models, a shining moral example for all of society as to the values of a strong work ethic and a healthy body. USSR is a might sports power!  B. Reshetnikov, 1962  Picture courtesy of A Soviet Poster a Day I love these Soviet era posters and the way they capture the spirit of the time, something special about the purity of the collective sporting effort.  Of course today, sport is about different things.  The political and behavioural symbolic value of sport has been replaced by sport as a commodity.  Sports stars exist as brand heroes in our shopping centres and glossy magazines, the sometimes lurid details of their everyday lives trumpeted on the pages of such magazines as Hello! and the gossip pages of the internet. Compare photographs of Olympians Svetlana Khorkina (1996, 2000 and 2004) and Ludmilla Tourischeva (1972, 1976): Khorkina is in all her glamour shot, sexually charged splendour; Svetlana Khorkina, undated Tou

UPDATE 23/9 - Russian WAG team for Nanning confirmed

Daria Spiridonova will compete at her first World Championships this autumn.  Picture : RGF Natalia Kalugina has confirmed the Russian team for Nanning : Aliya Mustafina, Maria Kharenkova, Tatiana Nabieva,Ekaterina Kramarenko, Alla Sosnitskaya, Daria Spiridonova.  Reserve : Polina Fyodorova Here is a paraphrased translation of a comment by Natalia Kalugina on her Facebook page : 'Aliya has confidence in competition and she is, kind of, a coach to this team.  In Europe she succeeded in this role and she has told the coaches that she even liked it. The main fighting force will be Kharenkova, Sosnitskaya and Spiridonova.  Accordingly, the strongest apparatus will be beam (Marina Bulashenko With God!).  The Chinese women, of course, have been known to win that apparatus, but if one falls, they all fall.   Alla Sosnitskaya could compete in the vault final, and - in theory - on the floor. On bars, of course, Russia will probably lose to the Chinese women, but they should be able to hold

Russian Nationals 2024 : Part 2 WAG Team Finals and Individual Qualifiers

Injury was a main concern for the Russian women at this competition.  Of the Olympians, only Gerasimova competed at full strength.  Both Listunova and Melnikova were suffering with pain; you could see this on their faces and in their movement, by the end of the day's competition.  For Listunova, foot and back pain were problems, while Melnikova had severe achilles pain.  Melnikova is booked in for an MRI as soon as she returns to Moscow after a short break in Sochi, where she is staying with David Belyavski and his family.   Slava Urazova didn't make the competition at all after injuring her knee in training.  Ilyankova has retired.  Both Diana Kustova and Alena Glotova are still recovering from chest infections and Kustova did not compete at all.  Up and coming gymnasts worth watching include Lyudmilla Roschina, Leila Vasileeva (a favourite of mine) and Maria Agafanova.  The standard of execution was generally good, although there were lots of mistakes, especially on beam.  On

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more