Skip to main content

Seda Tutkhalyan : My goal is to become an Olympic Champion!

Seda Tutkhalyan in the first day of the team competition at the European Games, 2015, her first major senior competition
Seda Tutkhalyan in conversation with Oksana Tonkacheva.


'I'm learning to cope with the excitement. Unfortunately, I often get nervous before the competition. Even though the coach and the girls try to calm me down, I still cannot forget about everything, laugh, talk, as some can.  ...  I try to smile when on the floor, but I can't always - because what if something doesn't work, how will I be able to smile then?  It should always be a sincere smile.  


Lena Zamolodchikova is my idol in the gym.  She was able to do everything - combinations with a smile, she was able to communicate with the audience.  ... 

My whole family - mother, father and two older brothers, are my most loyal fans.  When I won the all around at the Youth Olympics, my brothers wrote to me, 'Well done!  We are very proud of you!'.  Vaik - the eldest, he is 24, he is also an athlete, a European and World Champion in Sambo.  My middle brother used to do wrestling, but now he is studying economics. ...

I spend most of my life in the gym.  Movies?  Friends?  Yes - I go with friends to the movies, go for a walk in the park.  I live in Moscow, close to the 'Ulitsa 1905' metro - there is a park nearby, Krasnopresnensky Park, where you can have a nice walk in the good weather.  

Seda was expressive on floor in Baku
My Dad first took me to CSKA - he took me and my brothers there, really to make sure we had good physical development ... I liked it there.  I was almost seven years old when I joined the gym, which is very late.  I used to cry a lot, get very tired, but I wanted to do it, more than anything else.  Dad said 'be patient, Seda, then you will understand that it has been worth the tears'.  Mum always helped me ... I'm most like my Dad. ...

We have inherited Dad's character for sport, I think.  Now I really want to get to the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro and I will try very hard.  I hope that the coaches will help me.  I know that I still need to work hard to upgrade all my routines and to learn to perform the elements cleanly.

My favourite apparatus is beam, but I don't know why.  Perhaps because I can learn the elements quickly.  I only have problems if I put on weight.  In general, my goal is to become an Olympic champion!  And overtake my Dad's achievements in sport.  ... There is still a lot to do, but if I succeed at the Olympics, then I will immediately overtake him.

My Dad helps me all the time, for example gives me advice on nutrition. 
Outside the gym, I enjoy drawing.  My mother has a whole folder full of my drawings.  I draw different outfits - shorts, shirts, jackets.  Sometimes I come up with different styles, like a fashion designer.  ...


I don't forget about my earlier victories, I do remember everything, but I try not to exaggerate its importance.  I feel like it's cool to be a champion!  But then I realise that I have to go further.  ...

Comments

  1. I like the look of determination on Seda's face during the European Championships. I think she has that 'warrior' mentality like Mustafina, which is very much needed in the Russian team. I hope to see her more on the international stage in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Virtual tour of Lake Krugloye

Ksenia from Russia wrote to me as follows : 'I decided to write about a little update on this site .  Suddenly you do not know but you may be interested in "The virtual gym" where you can see the training center for gymnastics at the "Round Lake" A very interesting thing if you want to look into what's inside.' She is right - it is fascinating - with tours of both the men's and women's gyms, pictures of the coaches and gymnasts, and all the different areas, including a reception with displays of awards and the rehabilitation and recovery facilities.  Take some time to click on the arrows and try out all of the different features.  It is in Russian but the tools are reasonably intuitive and if you have a basic grasp of the Cyrillic alphabet you can make sense of the whole. Scrolling round the panorama makes me feel a little bit dizzy and also gives a slightly distorted perspective to some of the views, which I think is a characteristic...

Simone and the others - results and reflections

In the end, it was as predicted : Simone and the others, with Simone's teammate, Alexandra Raisman, providing the back up.  I do not need to point out that, by definition, the Americans are scoring significantly higher marks than the rest of the field.  Congratulations to them! Aliya Mustafina finished in third place.  The 2012 bronze medalist led the competition after vault and uneven bars, but had a very nervous outing on beam that might have taken a less experienced gymnast out of the medals.  A bravura performance on floor brought Aliya back though to confirm her third place all around.  From her senior debut in 2010 to today, Mustafina has continuously set high standards of grace.    It is the first time since 2000 that a gymnast (Amanar) has medalled in the all around at two consecutive Olympics, and  if Aliya can medal on Saturday's uneven bars final, she will once again be Russia's biggest medal winner of the women's gymnastics.  Russ...

Viktoria Komova - apology

Viktoria wrote some hasty words last night in the heat of the moment.  We all have such times, when hurt feelings lead us to behave uncharacteristically.  It is not important what she said; it is important that Vika has reflected and wants us all to read this message which she published on VK.com this morning. "Dear friends! I want to apologize for my statements about American girls, about drugs, all my words were spoken on emotions. Of course I haven't any proof and didn't really mean it and so on... I am so sorry. I want to apologize for my character to all of you". Vika, we are still with you every step of the way.

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more