Skip to main content

Aliya Mustafina interview with Bolshoi Sport - and some upgrade news

Photograph of Aliya Mustafina by Platon Shilikov, courtesy of Bolshoi Sport

As I mentioned early in May, Aliya features in a special interview/photo feature in this month's edition of the Alexei Nemov backed glossy magazine Bolshoi Sport.  You can access a digital copy at http://www.bolshoisport.ru/issues (no 6 (93)) or buy hard copies at Zinio - http://ru.zinio.com/www/browse/product.jsp?rf=sch&productId=500305166 
I will be trying to buy some copies of the magazine myself in the next few days.

The interview is very interesting - I have summarised most of the key points below.

I should add to this some exciting news that Veronika heard this morning on Russian TV (from videos currently geo-blocked in the UK) - Aliya has said that for Rio she is working on upgrades on vault (the Amanar, maybe?), bars and beam.  Along with her double straight and turn combination on floor, that's a significant workload Aliya has set herself!  She is very inspirational, and this is exciting news.

Now read on - the following interview summary is courtesy of Bolshoi Sport - please be careful to credit and link them if you copy the pictures or any of the text.

About injury
Already I am training at full strength.   It still hurts, but not as much - there is nothing that can be done. The German doctors seem to have found the problem, prescribed medication and special exercises, but one can't completely get rid of the pain.  In any case, I can do the things that I need to, try something new and prepare my programme.

About the European Games in Baku
I'll be back on the podium in Baku in June. My programme won't seriously differ from the one I presented at the World Championships in China- it won't be so easy to come up with something radically new.  I will try to do some things more cleanly.  Changes in the rules have reduced the complexity of my programme on the uneven bars, and we will have to seriously alter it.

About the American women
They are not like us, they are powerful, less artistic. But in modern gymnastics a lack of femininity does not reduce the marks. Yes, there is talk that our sport must again become beautiful, but these are only words. We will try to meet the modern realities, but choreography is my big strong point ('Aliya says 'trump' as if in a card game).

About the juniors
I get on with them well, I try to support them and help.  I restrain myself, trying to be calm. One can not show that you are nervous, as the negative feeling can be passed to them.

About teammates
All the girls who spoke at the European championship are very funny.  Masha Paseka wasn't supposed to go to the European Championships, and only came in at the last minute.  Without having a chance to try out the arena and apparatus, she still managed to win. That's awesome. Dasha Spiridonova is a great person.  Masha Kharenkova, who came second in the all-around, never gives up. She often likes to say something funny in training. I'm sure she has a great future. And Ksenia Afanasyeva is the Queen of the floor. 

Then there is Vika Komova, who hasn't performed for a long time, and plans to be back on the podium in time for Baku. We often chat, discuss our return.

A new coach
I like working with Sergei Starkin. He speaks his mind and does what he says he will, always owns up to his mistakes, and thoroughly explains what we have to do and why it is necessary to do so. Sergei Valerivich made me promise that I would go to bed on time, not to drink cola. It does not bother me that my coach also works with Denis Ablyazin. From the beginning I knew that if Sergei V agreed to be my coach, he would do everything possible to share his efforts and make sure that no one is left unattended.

The end of her career
I still have time. I do not know how the rest of my life after sports will go, and I'm not thinking about it. I am concentrating on what's happening now.

About her car
I have a very ordinary car. Behind the wheel I feel pretty confident, but I'm still an inexperienced driver. But I drive carefully, and when I know the way, it's not scary. I am used to traffic jams.

About cats
In my Instagram there are photos of me with cats, but personally I do not have any. Unfortunately I can't have one because at Round Lake there is nobody to look after the cat, and at home Dad does not really want pets. 

Comments

  1. Even if her gymnastics was a little rough around the edges at European games, you definitely see the difference her new coach has made in her gymnastics, particularly on her vault technique and floor. I wouldn't be surprised if she pulled out an Amanar for next year. Her new DTY is huge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "They are not like us, they are powerful, less artistic. But in modern gymnastics a lack of femininity does not reduce the marks. Yes, there is talk that our sport must again become beautiful, but these are only words..."

    Can I frame this? lol

    I would copy and paste this all over the gymternet but the American stans are too delusional to see the reality in this sport. I'm afraid the Russians are seeing this and in the near future they will "meet the modern realities" like Aliya said. I mean they already have Seda's beam routine...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seda's lack of artistry is compared to the Americans'.
    I still think the Russians have worked a lot on conditioning.
    Yet it's sad to see Komova's and Mustafina's performances. They were so promising!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say, I was the most impressed with Seda's floor routine. Both Aliya an Vika had very disappointing choreography. Vika seemed bored during her routine; her movements lacked intention and purpose. Seda, on the other hand, was completely committed to her routine. Was it the most beautiful routine? It was certainly the most watchable.

      Delete
  4. I think it is interesting that Mustafina claims that her strong suit is her choreography. While her quality of movement is still very refined and nice, her new floor routine has little choreography or expression.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And having read her interview today, I think she would agree with you - her FX at this comp - and Komova's - is very unfinished. It was more of a general point she was making. I find it interesting that you describe her 'quality of movement' as 'very refined' - this is certainly something that stems from what the Russians describe as 'choreography' - a broader expression than applies elsewhere in the sport, that applies to basic training as much as dance content. This is fundamentally the advantage that Mustafina has, that Komova and Afanasyeva share. It is indeed their 'trump' card even if the Code doesn't recognise it, just as it's true that the US women are more powerful. Something that the Code encourages.
      Nothing controversial there.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering last summer - Nelli Kim, her judges and Viktoria Komova

In view of Nelli Kim's recent interview , Lupita and I thought it timely to revisit the performance of some of the WTC President's judges over past competitions ... this article from 27th August 2012 is reposted here, as a reminder. You will find a link to the FIG's newly published book of results at the Olympic Games here .  This year, they have broken down the judge's execution scores so you can see exactly how each judge evaluated the gymnasts' performances.  It makes for interesting reading - if only I had more time to analyse each judge's marking.  A skim reading already highlights multiple inconsistencies in individual judges' marks and makes you wonder why they bother with the jury at all. I have taken the time to look at the reference judges' scores for the top four in the women's all around.  The FIG explains here what their role is, and how they are selected.  I even used my calculator, which is a risky thing in my hands.  M

Andrei Rodionenko explains Russia's performance at Worlds - Lupitatranslates

Rodionenko with European Champion David Belyavski  Courtesy RGF/Elena Mikhailova This is the interview that many people on the internet have already commented on, regarding Andrei Rodionenko's alleged racism.  The original, Russian language version, appears on VTB Bank's website (VTB are sponsors of Russian gymnastics).  It takes cleverer people than me to decide what is racism, what is deliberately perjorative, and what is inferred in an interviewer's question.  For now, I will not comment on this, therefore, but I would ask you to read Lupita's translation carefully before you form your own opinion.   I am providing some links below which might help you to decide where you stand. Definition of racism Definition of sexism BBC Sport article by Matthew Syed : Is it wrong to note that 100m winners are always black?            Updated 24/10 CSKA Moscow: UEFA opens racist chants case             http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24654499 Andrei

Review of Russian WAG at the 2014 World Championships

The Russians during a team talk in training for the World Championships.  Courtesy RGF Bronze all the way for Russia then.  Beyond the euphoria and surprise of this morning's competition there doesn't really seem to be much to write home about. I am delighted for Aliya personally that the efforts she has made to help the team have provided her with some tangible result, but the principal feeling at the end of the competition is that of relief.  As Vaitsekhovskaya said in her article last week, there were no moments of shock and awe from the Russians, and that's what will be needed if they are to compete for gold medals in Rio (translation available here ). Let's consider a timeline of the competition : before, during and after. BEFORE The promise of a return to the Worlds stage by Viktoria Komova gave Russia a feeling of optimism pre-Russia Cup.  However, Viktoria's performance at this important competition gave little reason for celebration.  Ye

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more