Skip to main content

Aliya, Vika and Seda - three 'great team mates' speak about the first day of the European Games

Courtesy of the RGF

Interviews with each of the Russian gymnasts at this week's European Games - Aliya Mustafina, Viktoria Komova and Seda Tutkhalyan - have appeared in the Russian press.  Here are excerpts.


Victoria Komova: this is my first competition after my break - I hope that things will only get better.

Today, June 14, at the first European Games in Baku (Azerbaijan) the gymnastics tournament began.  For the women there were qualifying competitions on the vault and uneven bars. Russia's Viktoria Komova vault score was 14.566, and on uneven bars - 14.866. Mark Skoda of Allsport reports.

- Right before my performances, I had goose pimples all over my body, said Viktoria Komova. - A lot of spectators, great excitement. They all clapped and generally very actively supported us. I have not performed at many major events recently, so was a little excited.

- How did it go in the vault and on the uneven bars?

- On bars I don't think I will get to the final. It's 100 per cent certain that Aliya Mustafina has made it.   She scored 15.2 points, I - 14.8. I, as always, touched the lower bar, and because of that I had half a point deduction.  Because of this, I'm upset. Not everything worked out the way I wanted. I repeat: this is my first start after the break. I hope that things will only get better. The main thing is that now, thank God, there is no pain.

- Why didn't you try a second vault?

- We decided that at the beginning.  I made only one attempt - to be selected to finals, you need to do two. So, today I didn't qualify to either final. In the team tournament, we are in first position, tomorrow's a different competition, with two more apparatus. But I think that we can maintain our position (smiles).

Source - http://www.allsportinfo.ru/index.php?id=93662


Aliya Mustafina: Vika Komova and Seda Tutkhalyan are great team mates.   I like the way we work as a team.

2012 Olympic champion Aliya Mustafina received 15.133 points on the vault, and on uneven bars - 15.200.  Mark Skoda reports.

- I am happy with today's performance, -  said Aliya Mustafina. - Things turned out even better than I expected. But we must understand that there have only been two rounds, and tomorrow we expect the floor exercise and beam.  The beam is known to be unpredictable (the direct translation of the words Aliya uses are 'fond of kicking') (smiles).  I did not qualify to the vault final as I only performed one vault. I'm still restoring my programme after injury and did not set maximal targets for all apparatus.   I have qualified to the uneven bars final.  Vika Komova and Seda Tutkhakyan are great team mates.  I like the way we work as a team.  What is important is that my health is all right. 

Source - http://www.allsportinfo.ru/index.php?id=93664


Seda Tutkhalyan: I have a chance to reach the vault final

Russia's Seda Tutkhalyan received 14.966 points for vault and on uneven bars - 14.166.  Mark Skoda. reports.

- The European Games are my first serious start in adult sports, - said Seda Tutkhalyan. - I'm very nervous, especially not to let the team down. Because it is a big responsibility.  I really like Baku, it's a nice and friendly town.

- Are you satisfied with your performance?

-  I could perform the second vault better, but I went over the line on the carpet and got a penalty.  On the bars it is the first time I have received such a high score, I'm glad. But the score on the bars is still lower than that of our other girls, as they had higher difficulty. So I haven't qualified to this apparatus final.  Aliya Mustafina and Vika Komova only tried one vault and so can't qualify to the final there. Therefore, I have a chance to qualify.

Source - http://www.allsportinfo.ru/index.php?id=93663

Comments

  1. Glad that Komova finally has done a competition after so long out. It's a test for them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vika without the 0.5 deduction, would be in the first place :/ ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vika and Musty look great. Vika would have been in first without that mistake. Her vault looked really good. I am happy to see both look in great shape. I am excited to see what they do on beam and floor tomorrow.

    Russiafan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mustafina had her problems on bars ... But let's see how things go on beam and floor. As Aliya says that's likely to be even more difficult.
    I think she is very relieved to have two such strong team mates. And I am impressed at Vika's comeback so far - can anyone think of another gymnast who has returned so strongly after such a long, injury-strewn break

    ReplyDelete
  5. > (the direct translation of the words Aliya uses are 'fond of kicking')

    Actually she said, "fond of bucking," like a horse trying to throw off a rider. Which is an excellent description of the unpredictability of the beam.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had faith that Vika is going to comeback, in spite of being subjected to many skepticism and denigration of her mental and psychological toughness...
    she is a beautiful gymnast and I love watching her exquisite style.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Aliya's new floor routine is to My Way by Frank Sinatra. So fitting.

      Jen

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering last summer - Nelli Kim, her judges and Viktoria Komova

In view of Nelli Kim's recent interview , Lupita and I thought it timely to revisit the performance of some of the WTC President's judges over past competitions ... this article from 27th August 2012 is reposted here, as a reminder. You will find a link to the FIG's newly published book of results at the Olympic Games here .  This year, they have broken down the judge's execution scores so you can see exactly how each judge evaluated the gymnasts' performances.  It makes for interesting reading - if only I had more time to analyse each judge's marking.  A skim reading already highlights multiple inconsistencies in individual judges' marks and makes you wonder why they bother with the jury at all. I have taken the time to look at the reference judges' scores for the top four in the women's all around.  The FIG explains here what their role is, and how they are selected.  I even used my calculator, which is a risky thing in my hands.  M

Andrei Rodionenko explains Russia's performance at Worlds - Lupitatranslates

Rodionenko with European Champion David Belyavski  Courtesy RGF/Elena Mikhailova This is the interview that many people on the internet have already commented on, regarding Andrei Rodionenko's alleged racism.  The original, Russian language version, appears on VTB Bank's website (VTB are sponsors of Russian gymnastics).  It takes cleverer people than me to decide what is racism, what is deliberately perjorative, and what is inferred in an interviewer's question.  For now, I will not comment on this, therefore, but I would ask you to read Lupita's translation carefully before you form your own opinion.   I am providing some links below which might help you to decide where you stand. Definition of racism Definition of sexism BBC Sport article by Matthew Syed : Is it wrong to note that 100m winners are always black?            Updated 24/10 CSKA Moscow: UEFA opens racist chants case             http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24654499 Andrei

Review of Russian WAG at the 2014 World Championships

The Russians during a team talk in training for the World Championships.  Courtesy RGF Bronze all the way for Russia then.  Beyond the euphoria and surprise of this morning's competition there doesn't really seem to be much to write home about. I am delighted for Aliya personally that the efforts she has made to help the team have provided her with some tangible result, but the principal feeling at the end of the competition is that of relief.  As Vaitsekhovskaya said in her article last week, there were no moments of shock and awe from the Russians, and that's what will be needed if they are to compete for gold medals in Rio (translation available here ). Let's consider a timeline of the competition : before, during and after. BEFORE The promise of a return to the Worlds stage by Viktoria Komova gave Russia a feeling of optimism pre-Russia Cup.  However, Viktoria's performance at this important competition gave little reason for celebration.  Ye

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more