Skip to main content

Aliya, Vika and Seda - three 'great team mates' speak about the first day of the European Games

Courtesy of the RGF

Interviews with each of the Russian gymnasts at this week's European Games - Aliya Mustafina, Viktoria Komova and Seda Tutkhalyan - have appeared in the Russian press.  Here are excerpts.


Victoria Komova: this is my first competition after my break - I hope that things will only get better.

Today, June 14, at the first European Games in Baku (Azerbaijan) the gymnastics tournament began.  For the women there were qualifying competitions on the vault and uneven bars. Russia's Viktoria Komova vault score was 14.566, and on uneven bars - 14.866. Mark Skoda of Allsport reports.

- Right before my performances, I had goose pimples all over my body, said Viktoria Komova. - A lot of spectators, great excitement. They all clapped and generally very actively supported us. I have not performed at many major events recently, so was a little excited.

- How did it go in the vault and on the uneven bars?

- On bars I don't think I will get to the final. It's 100 per cent certain that Aliya Mustafina has made it.   She scored 15.2 points, I - 14.8. I, as always, touched the lower bar, and because of that I had half a point deduction.  Because of this, I'm upset. Not everything worked out the way I wanted. I repeat: this is my first start after the break. I hope that things will only get better. The main thing is that now, thank God, there is no pain.

- Why didn't you try a second vault?

- We decided that at the beginning.  I made only one attempt - to be selected to finals, you need to do two. So, today I didn't qualify to either final. In the team tournament, we are in first position, tomorrow's a different competition, with two more apparatus. But I think that we can maintain our position (smiles).

Source - http://www.allsportinfo.ru/index.php?id=93662


Aliya Mustafina: Vika Komova and Seda Tutkhalyan are great team mates.   I like the way we work as a team.

2012 Olympic champion Aliya Mustafina received 15.133 points on the vault, and on uneven bars - 15.200.  Mark Skoda reports.

- I am happy with today's performance, -  said Aliya Mustafina. - Things turned out even better than I expected. But we must understand that there have only been two rounds, and tomorrow we expect the floor exercise and beam.  The beam is known to be unpredictable (the direct translation of the words Aliya uses are 'fond of kicking') (smiles).  I did not qualify to the vault final as I only performed one vault. I'm still restoring my programme after injury and did not set maximal targets for all apparatus.   I have qualified to the uneven bars final.  Vika Komova and Seda Tutkhakyan are great team mates.  I like the way we work as a team.  What is important is that my health is all right. 

Source - http://www.allsportinfo.ru/index.php?id=93664


Seda Tutkhalyan: I have a chance to reach the vault final

Russia's Seda Tutkhalyan received 14.966 points for vault and on uneven bars - 14.166.  Mark Skoda. reports.

- The European Games are my first serious start in adult sports, - said Seda Tutkhalyan. - I'm very nervous, especially not to let the team down. Because it is a big responsibility.  I really like Baku, it's a nice and friendly town.

- Are you satisfied with your performance?

-  I could perform the second vault better, but I went over the line on the carpet and got a penalty.  On the bars it is the first time I have received such a high score, I'm glad. But the score on the bars is still lower than that of our other girls, as they had higher difficulty. So I haven't qualified to this apparatus final.  Aliya Mustafina and Vika Komova only tried one vault and so can't qualify to the final there. Therefore, I have a chance to qualify.

Source - http://www.allsportinfo.ru/index.php?id=93663

Comments

  1. Glad that Komova finally has done a competition after so long out. It's a test for them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vika without the 0.5 deduction, would be in the first place :/ ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vika and Musty look great. Vika would have been in first without that mistake. Her vault looked really good. I am happy to see both look in great shape. I am excited to see what they do on beam and floor tomorrow.

    Russiafan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mustafina had her problems on bars ... But let's see how things go on beam and floor. As Aliya says that's likely to be even more difficult.
    I think she is very relieved to have two such strong team mates. And I am impressed at Vika's comeback so far - can anyone think of another gymnast who has returned so strongly after such a long, injury-strewn break

    ReplyDelete
  5. > (the direct translation of the words Aliya uses are 'fond of kicking')

    Actually she said, "fond of bucking," like a horse trying to throw off a rider. Which is an excellent description of the unpredictability of the beam.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had faith that Vika is going to comeback, in spite of being subjected to many skepticism and denigration of her mental and psychological toughness...
    she is a beautiful gymnast and I love watching her exquisite style.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Aliya's new floor routine is to My Way by Frank Sinatra. So fitting.

      Jen

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Virtual tour of Lake Krugloye

Ksenia from Russia wrote to me as follows : 'I decided to write about a little update on this site .  Suddenly you do not know but you may be interested in "The virtual gym" where you can see the training center for gymnastics at the "Round Lake" A very interesting thing if you want to look into what's inside.' She is right - it is fascinating - with tours of both the men's and women's gyms, pictures of the coaches and gymnasts, and all the different areas, including a reception with displays of awards and the rehabilitation and recovery facilities.  Take some time to click on the arrows and try out all of the different features.  It is in Russian but the tools are reasonably intuitive and if you have a basic grasp of the Cyrillic alphabet you can make sense of the whole. Scrolling round the panorama makes me feel a little bit dizzy and also gives a slightly distorted perspective to some of the views, which I think is a characteristic...

Simone and the others - results and reflections

In the end, it was as predicted : Simone and the others, with Simone's teammate, Alexandra Raisman, providing the back up.  I do not need to point out that, by definition, the Americans are scoring significantly higher marks than the rest of the field.  Congratulations to them! Aliya Mustafina finished in third place.  The 2012 bronze medalist led the competition after vault and uneven bars, but had a very nervous outing on beam that might have taken a less experienced gymnast out of the medals.  A bravura performance on floor brought Aliya back though to confirm her third place all around.  From her senior debut in 2010 to today, Mustafina has continuously set high standards of grace.    It is the first time since 2000 that a gymnast (Amanar) has medalled in the all around at two consecutive Olympics, and  if Aliya can medal on Saturday's uneven bars final, she will once again be Russia's biggest medal winner of the women's gymnastics.  Russ...

Viktoria Komova - apology

Viktoria wrote some hasty words last night in the heat of the moment.  We all have such times, when hurt feelings lead us to behave uncharacteristically.  It is not important what she said; it is important that Vika has reflected and wants us all to read this message which she published on VK.com this morning. "Dear friends! I want to apologize for my statements about American girls, about drugs, all my words were spoken on emotions. Of course I haven't any proof and didn't really mean it and so on... I am so sorry. I want to apologize for my character to all of you". Vika, we are still with you every step of the way.

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more