Skip to main content

Andrei Rodionenko 'I am not looking for a replacement for Ablyazin'


Head coach Andrei Rodionenko today confirmed that, by hook or by crook, Denis Ablyazin will travel to Nanning and participate in World Championships.  Ablyazin missed key finals in last week's Russia Cup, and has been suffering severe knee pain.  He is undergoing investigations in Munich at present.  An announcement about the nature of his injury is expected in the next few days.

Rodionenko said he would be ready to take Ablyazin for his rings exercise only, where the Olympian has a realistic medal chance.  He also suggested that vault might be a possibility - 'even on one leg'.  

In a report in Pravda, Rodionenko is also reported as saying that the knee injury was 'nothing serious'.

Source : http://www.temapenza.ru/news/sports/item/7997/

Comments

  1. [sigh]

    I believe that Rodionenko must care about his athletes, but he can come across as crass and ruthless. I cannot believe Rodionenko would so cavalierly dismiss Ablyazin's severe knee pain as "nothing serious." An athlete's pain should always be taken seriously. Ablyazin took himself out of two event finals that he was certain to win. That does not mean "nothing serious." And it would be highly irresponsible to let Ablyazin vault on an injured leg at Worlds. That could be career ending for a potential Olympic gold medalist.

    I suspect that there are cultural communication differences between Americans and Russians, but I am often appalled by what Rodionenko says about his team and his athletes.

    I do hope Ablyazin is healthy to go to Nanning. Since teams have room for six athletes this year, they could use Ablyazin on rings only, if necessary to protect his knee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please, tell me there is something wrong with this translation. He can't be that crazy can he?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Virtual tour of Lake Krugloye

Ksenia from Russia wrote to me as follows : 'I decided to write about a little update on this site .  Suddenly you do not know but you may be interested in "The virtual gym" where you can see the training center for gymnastics at the "Round Lake" A very interesting thing if you want to look into what's inside.' She is right - it is fascinating - with tours of both the men's and women's gyms, pictures of the coaches and gymnasts, and all the different areas, including a reception with displays of awards and the rehabilitation and recovery facilities.  Take some time to click on the arrows and try out all of the different features.  It is in Russian but the tools are reasonably intuitive and if you have a basic grasp of the Cyrillic alphabet you can make sense of the whole. Scrolling round the panorama makes me feel a little bit dizzy and also gives a slightly distorted perspective to some of the views, which I think is a characteristic...

Simone and the others - results and reflections

In the end, it was as predicted : Simone and the others, with Simone's teammate, Alexandra Raisman, providing the back up.  I do not need to point out that, by definition, the Americans are scoring significantly higher marks than the rest of the field.  Congratulations to them! Aliya Mustafina finished in third place.  The 2012 bronze medalist led the competition after vault and uneven bars, but had a very nervous outing on beam that might have taken a less experienced gymnast out of the medals.  A bravura performance on floor brought Aliya back though to confirm her third place all around.  From her senior debut in 2010 to today, Mustafina has continuously set high standards of grace.    It is the first time since 2000 that a gymnast (Amanar) has medalled in the all around at two consecutive Olympics, and  if Aliya can medal on Saturday's uneven bars final, she will once again be Russia's biggest medal winner of the women's gymnastics.  Russ...

Viktoria Komova - apology

Viktoria wrote some hasty words last night in the heat of the moment.  We all have such times, when hurt feelings lead us to behave uncharacteristically.  It is not important what she said; it is important that Vika has reflected and wants us all to read this message which she published on VK.com this morning. "Dear friends! I want to apologize for my statements about American girls, about drugs, all my words were spoken on emotions. Of course I haven't any proof and didn't really mean it and so on... I am so sorry. I want to apologize for my character to all of you". Vika, we are still with you every step of the way.

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more