Skip to main content

Russia win silver in the senior team event

Coaches and gymnasts of Russia enjoy their silver medal at yesterday's European Championships.  The gymnasts are, left to right : Alexander Balandin, Anton Golotsutskov, Emin Garibov, David Belyavski, Denis Ablyazin.  Picture courtesy of the RGF.

Russia's men yesterday consolidated their recent improvements with a second place in the senior team event that emphasised their strength as individual apparatus specialists.  The team had to carry weak third scores on certain events : in particular, pommels and high bar, where Golotsutskov was surely a compromise selection.  Had they eliminated just one of the four falls they suffered during the course of the competition, silver could have become gold.

It wasn't a bad result then, for the Russians, and we still have today's event finals to look forward to.  I hope the gymnasts' experiences here will prepare them for a stronger performance in London in a few weeks' time, when it will really matter.  Good luck to them all!

The full results can be found at the UEG website, or you can view the image below.


Comments

  1. I am happy for them thought they fight for first place !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I agree with your assessment that they can put up 2 good scores but the 3rd score is pretty low for most of the events

    I am curious how they will pick the team members for the Olys whether focusing on EF specialists (i.e Anton) or maximizing team score potential

    However, Anton's spot is becoming questionable having failed to medal on VT at Euros plus while Ablyazin medaled on VT (and he placed 3rd on SR as well!, plus he has a good FX routine). Or maybe Anton just hasn't peaked yet but I guess we will see in the coming weeks!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Virtual tour of Lake Krugloye

Ksenia from Russia wrote to me as follows : 'I decided to write about a little update on this site .  Suddenly you do not know but you may be interested in "The virtual gym" where you can see the training center for gymnastics at the "Round Lake" A very interesting thing if you want to look into what's inside.' She is right - it is fascinating - with tours of both the men's and women's gyms, pictures of the coaches and gymnasts, and all the different areas, including a reception with displays of awards and the rehabilitation and recovery facilities.  Take some time to click on the arrows and try out all of the different features.  It is in Russian but the tools are reasonably intuitive and if you have a basic grasp of the Cyrillic alphabet you can make sense of the whole. Scrolling round the panorama makes me feel a little bit dizzy and also gives a slightly distorted perspective to some of the views, which I think is a characteristic...

Simone and the others - results and reflections

In the end, it was as predicted : Simone and the others, with Simone's teammate, Alexandra Raisman, providing the back up.  I do not need to point out that, by definition, the Americans are scoring significantly higher marks than the rest of the field.  Congratulations to them! Aliya Mustafina finished in third place.  The 2012 bronze medalist led the competition after vault and uneven bars, but had a very nervous outing on beam that might have taken a less experienced gymnast out of the medals.  A bravura performance on floor brought Aliya back though to confirm her third place all around.  From her senior debut in 2010 to today, Mustafina has continuously set high standards of grace.    It is the first time since 2000 that a gymnast (Amanar) has medalled in the all around at two consecutive Olympics, and  if Aliya can medal on Saturday's uneven bars final, she will once again be Russia's biggest medal winner of the women's gymnastics.  Russ...

Viktoria Komova - apology

Viktoria wrote some hasty words last night in the heat of the moment.  We all have such times, when hurt feelings lead us to behave uncharacteristically.  It is not important what she said; it is important that Vika has reflected and wants us all to read this message which she published on VK.com this morning. "Dear friends! I want to apologize for my statements about American girls, about drugs, all my words were spoken on emotions. Of course I haven't any proof and didn't really mean it and so on... I am so sorry. I want to apologize for my character to all of you". Vika, we are still with you every step of the way.

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more