Skip to main content

Lupita translates ... Mustafina



Lupita translates Elena Vaitsekhovskaya's interview with the World Beam Champion.


'I am very happy about how it all went' said Mustafina in the mixed zone. 'I won silver at the 2010 European Championships, but this was three years ago.'

In Antwerp you performed three times on beam. Could you describe your impressions during the Championships?

I felt more and more confident all along. Although I was more tired, everything went better. In qualifications I started on beam and was very nervous. It’s always difficult when you start a competition on beam.

When you performed beam in the all around, you showed less difficult elements than you had foreseen. 

 In fact I decided to downgrade my routine to make fewer mistakes, to be more confident.

Svetlana Boginskaya said that it’s very good to perform first on beam.

She is absolutely right. I like competing first on beam. You don’t have time to watch the other gymnasts’ performances.

By the way, in the all around final when all your rivals competing for bronze fell, did you feel lucky?

Sure, in a way. But at the same time I felt that I had been underscored.

If, before the championships, someone had told you that you would be the champion on beam, would you have believed it?

I think that if I had thought of it, I would not have won any medal on this apparatus.

During your performance were you aware that everything was going extremely fine?

The first thing I remember is when I watched the time before my dismount. I realized I had time; there was no need to rush before the round-off. And that everything was fine.

Why did you have to challenge the score?

We thought that it would be possible to improve the D score. After Rotterdam Worlds, where our vault inquiry was not taken because it was submitted too late, our coaches always carry filled forms with them, ready to submit. In Rotterdam we were not ready to do it in the 4 minute time limit.  It is true that here the inquiry was not accepted.

Who among the rivals was more dangerous?

Of course, Iordache, who had the best score in qualifications. In fact, I hadn’t thought about it because I didn’t expect much from my performance on beam. Even after the score was posted on the board, I didn’t venture to think about a medal. I only felt satisfied internally. I thought that I had done everything fine and that I could not reproach myself at all. 


Congratulations Queen Aliya ... Maladyets!




Comments

  1. Awww I knew she would just have wanted to go out there and do her best without the thought of a medal just like in Olympics floor final. Both times she had a long shot at medalling and yet she didn't just medal here she got gold! Kudos to Aliya for a job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once Aliya finished her beam routine, I knew that could be good enough for the gold depending on what Larissa from Romania did.

    Awesome job Aliya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can anyone here give me a link for the full event broadcast? I really want to watch it but can't find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BBC broadcast http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px-U4jcjBAI

      Delete
    2. Thanks! BBC is always the best :)

      Delete
    3. Aliya a true champion no matter what the score, in my eyes her performance on beam (and all apparatus) in such a way which leaves me in awe of her beauty, grace, and agility's muscle memory is something to behold, making her the champion that she is. Spasiba Aliya for delighting us and bring smiles to all around the world that absolutely adore you! ...and for those that missed it the full Beam Balance Event Final can be found here--> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px-U4jcjBAI&feature=share&list=PL95shzdpgCTs5aT5_j21dIGRG1180laJN or at my youtube account under Full Competitions -Gymnastics which includes Uneven Bars and All-Around both BBC & Arena and others (MAG&WAG), also Victory Ceremonies playlist is available. Need more info on Aliya, please check out my tumbr iloveteamrussiawag!

      Delete
  4. Congrats Aliya, she qualified in the last spot on BB but ended up in the first place with GOLD, that's the champion material ... well done girl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who could predict this podium? It's very pleasant surprise.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

UPDATE 23/9 - Russian WAG team for Nanning confirmed

Daria Spiridonova will compete at her first World Championships this autumn.  Picture : RGF Natalia Kalugina has confirmed the Russian team for Nanning : Aliya Mustafina, Maria Kharenkova, Tatiana Nabieva,Ekaterina Kramarenko, Alla Sosnitskaya, Daria Spiridonova.  Reserve : Polina Fyodorova Here is a paraphrased translation of a comment by Natalia Kalugina on her Facebook page : 'Aliya has confidence in competition and she is, kind of, a coach to this team.  In Europe she succeeded in this role and she has told the coaches that she even liked it. The main fighting force will be Kharenkova, Sosnitskaya and Spiridonova.  Accordingly, the strongest apparatus will be beam (Marina Bulashenko With God!).  The Chinese women, of course, have been known to win that apparatus, but if one falls, they all fall.   Alla Sosnitskaya could compete in the vault final, and - in theory - on the floor. On bars, of course, Russia will probably lose to the Chinese women, but they should be able to hold

Who really won the WAG All Around?

You will find a link to the FIG's newly published book of results at the Olympic Games here .  This year, they have broken down the judge's execution scores so you can see exactly how each judge evaluated the gymnasts' performances.  It makes for interesting reading - if only I had more time to analyse each judge's marking.  A skim reading already highlights multiple inconsistencies in individual judges' marks and makes you wonder why they bother with the jury at all. I have taken the time to look at the reference judges' scores for the top four in the women's all around.  The FIG explains here what their role is, and how they are selected.  I even used my calculator, which is a risky thing in my hands.  My, how I wish we could have seen a similar document for the Tokyo World Championships. I wonder if anyone can explain how, if the FIG's Code of Points is so objective and fair, it is possible to come up with two different results using two differ

Nominative registrations, WAG European Championships

Sadly, Komova is out of the competition, replaced by Kramarenko.  We have to wait for official notification from the Federation, or from Viktoria herself, of the reason. http://www.ueg.org/images/event/114/Nominative%20entry%20ECh%20WAG%20Sofia%202014.pdf Mustafina Kharenkova Spiridinova Sosnitskaya Kramarenko Juniors Maria Bondareva Anastasia Dmitrueva Seda Tutkhalyan Angelina Melnikova Daria Skrypnik

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more