Skip to main content

Grebyonkin: Aliya succeeded in spite of knee pain


In an interview with Albert Starobutsev of ITAR-TASS, Russian WAG team coach, Evgeny Grebyonkin, spoke of Aliya Mustafina's performance in the all around yesterday.  'We are very happy with the performance of Aliya', he said, 'she completed her task, pulled herself together and managed to win a bronze medal, even though she had hurt her knee.  This explains why her bars dismount was not perfectly landed.  On beam, I liked how Aliya performed'.

Aliya herself has also spoken of the impact of her health on her performance at these Worlds.  'It is a joy' she said of the bronze medal she won, 'especially as just before the World Championships I suffered a virus, which left me with almost no physical strength, and even worse, sapped my morale'. 

Aliya added another bronze medal to her collection in today's uneven bars final, while in the men's competition Alexander Balandin secured a silver in rings.  You can find full results of these competitions here.

Congratulations to all the gymnasts, and good luck to Aliya again, and to young Anna Rodionova, who compete in the beam final together tomorrow afternoon.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Simone and the others - results and reflections

In the end, it was as predicted : Simone and the others, with Simone's teammate, Alexandra Raisman, providing the back up.  I do not need to point out that, by definition, the Americans are scoring significantly higher marks than the rest of the field.  Congratulations to them! Aliya Mustafina finished in third place.  The 2012 bronze medalist led the competition after vault and uneven bars, but had a very nervous outing on beam that might have taken a less experienced gymnast out of the medals.  A bravura performance on floor brought Aliya back though to confirm her third place all around.  From her senior debut in 2010 to today, Mustafina has continuously set high standards of grace.    It is the first time since 2000 that a gymnast (Amanar) has medalled in the all around at two consecutive Olympics, and  if Aliya can medal on Saturday's uneven bars final, she will once again be Russia's biggest medal winner of the women's gymnastics.  Russ...

Who really won the WAG All Around?

You will find a link to the FIG's newly published book of results at the Olympic Games here .  This year, they have broken down the judge's execution scores so you can see exactly how each judge evaluated the gymnasts' performances.  It makes for interesting reading - if only I had more time to analyse each judge's marking.  A skim reading already highlights multiple inconsistencies in individual judges' marks and makes you wonder why they bother with the jury at all. I have taken the time to look at the reference judges' scores for the top four in the women's all around.  The FIG explains here what their role is, and how they are selected.  I even used my calculator, which is a risky thing in my hands.  My, how I wish we could have seen a similar document for the Tokyo World Championships. I wonder if anyone can explain how, if the FIG's Code of Points is so objective and fair, it is possible to come up with two different results using two differ...

Viktoria Komova - apology

Viktoria wrote some hasty words last night in the heat of the moment.  We all have such times, when hurt feelings lead us to behave uncharacteristically.  It is not important what she said; it is important that Vika has reflected and wants us all to read this message which she published on VK.com this morning. "Dear friends! I want to apologize for my statements about American girls, about drugs, all my words were spoken on emotions. Of course I haven't any proof and didn't really mean it and so on... I am so sorry. I want to apologize for my character to all of you". Vika, we are still with you every step of the way.

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more