Skip to main content

Interview with vault bronze medallist Maria Paseka

Maria smiles as she learns she has won a well deserved bronze medal.  (Left) silver medallist Maroney reflects.  RGF
Lupita translates a short interview with Olympic bronze medalist on the vault, Maria Paseka

The judges at the vault Olympic final could have given McKayla Maroney a lower score and not the silver medal, said to Ru-Sport bronze medallist Maria Paseka.
 
In this event the Olympic champion was the Romanian Sandra Isbasa, who, after two vaults, got a score of 15,191. The silver medal went to Maroney  (15.083) and the bronze to Paseka (15.050).
"I expected to be one of the medallists because I tried very hard. At the beginning, independently of Maroney’s fall I thought I would win bronze. Later, when I watched the video, I thought I could have been second. But the judges decide everything. Nobody wins crashing his or her vault, and even less a medal", told Paseka in an interview organized in the framework of the BTV project at The Bosco Club.
Paseka won an individual bronze and the silver medal in the team final.
"I could have performed my vault better in the final. Nastia Grishina and Ksiusha Afanassieva made mistakes.  We didn’t perform very well on vault and floor. Without those mistakes, we could have won gold", said Paseka.
The gymnast added that, according to their calculations, with an ideal performance in the team final, they could have lost one point to the Americans. “It’s a pity that we didn’t win gold, but I think that silver at the Olympics tells something. Although we want gold, we always want to be first. It means that we have to work to be first because nothing is easy”.
 
 

Comments

  1. Happy for Paseka, at least she won an individual medal, it shoudl give her confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to Paseka for winning the individual bronze. I think it's obvious she should have won the silver, especially since Maroney hardly landed on her heals.. It's not fair that someone elses reputation - not performance - beat Maria. But nonetheless, her performance in the individual vault should instill some confidence moving forward. GOOD LUCK, MARIA!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Virtual tour of Lake Krugloye

Ksenia from Russia wrote to me as follows : 'I decided to write about a little update on this site .  Suddenly you do not know but you may be interested in "The virtual gym" where you can see the training center for gymnastics at the "Round Lake" A very interesting thing if you want to look into what's inside.' She is right - it is fascinating - with tours of both the men's and women's gyms, pictures of the coaches and gymnasts, and all the different areas, including a reception with displays of awards and the rehabilitation and recovery facilities.  Take some time to click on the arrows and try out all of the different features.  It is in Russian but the tools are reasonably intuitive and if you have a basic grasp of the Cyrillic alphabet you can make sense of the whole. Scrolling round the panorama makes me feel a little bit dizzy and also gives a slightly distorted perspective to some of the views, which I think is a characteristic...

Simone and the others - results and reflections

In the end, it was as predicted : Simone and the others, with Simone's teammate, Alexandra Raisman, providing the back up.  I do not need to point out that, by definition, the Americans are scoring significantly higher marks than the rest of the field.  Congratulations to them! Aliya Mustafina finished in third place.  The 2012 bronze medalist led the competition after vault and uneven bars, but had a very nervous outing on beam that might have taken a less experienced gymnast out of the medals.  A bravura performance on floor brought Aliya back though to confirm her third place all around.  From her senior debut in 2010 to today, Mustafina has continuously set high standards of grace.    It is the first time since 2000 that a gymnast (Amanar) has medalled in the all around at two consecutive Olympics, and  if Aliya can medal on Saturday's uneven bars final, she will once again be Russia's biggest medal winner of the women's gymnastics.  Russ...

Mustafina, Melnikova and Afanasyeva - Russia’s three divas train together to the tunes of Michael Jackson

M elnikova, Mustafina and Afanasyeva take creative control at Round Lake.     You can see the video on Angelina Melnikova’s YouTube channel. They are discussing a new floor routine for Angelina; she wants to dance to Michael Jackson. Afanasyeva, 2012 Olympic medalist and a world champion on the floor, has been a choreographer for the national team for a few years now.    She says, ‘Gel, first we need to understand the plan—what we’re actually doing.’ They discuss how many tumbles Angelina will perform, and where the tumbles will come in the routine.    Angelina says, she likes ‘Billie Jean’, it’s her favourite … But Afanasyeva has other ideas, linking into the dance shapes she has seen in a video: ‘Thriller . Start with  Thriller . It begins with that image, right from the beginning when it starts.’    She shows us the dance. ‘I suggest taking a 1.5-minute or 1-minute segment of the dance directly.’ They promise to be in touch by email. ...

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more