Skip to main content

Anastasia Grishina : 'My strength is my ability to concentrate'

Lupita provides a great translation of an interview with Anastasia Grishina, from the VTB's sports page.

Anastasia Grishina on beam at the recent European Championships.

 Anastasia Grishina (16)
In spite of her young age, Anastasia is not shy when she talks to journalists: “I’m often surrounded by people older than me. I have three older brothers. The oldest is a Master of Sport in boxing, the second one used to practice football and the youngest played chess. I also played chess. Our parents took us to gymnastics for our development. My brothers don’t do gymnastics any more and they even tried to convince my mum not to take me to the club. Yet, I liked it very much. I wanted to prove that I was able to do something”.
Anastasia Grishina’s route in sport was not a bed of roses from the start: “First, my parents took me to skating, but the coach said I was too old. I didn’t know if they would take me in any sporting discipline at all. I was lucky. Olga Sikkoro, my first coach, saw me and said: “Fine, let’s try. We might achieve something”.
At the European Championships



The problems that Nastia faces are not usual for a teenager. Recently her father suffered a myocardial infarction, her mother doesn’t work. Nastia states confidently: “It’s not true that I provide for my family. My brothers help”. 
Her serious approach to the sport allows her to avoid making mistakes that young athletes make: “Мy strength is my ability to concentrate. In fact, every gymnast is afraid of herself. A lack of confidence and fear are our worst enemies. And there’s another danger: growing taller. You can’t help it”. 
Grishina is not afraid of her rivals at the London Olympics. She is convinced she’ll go to London: “I don’t feel I’ve been chosen personally, I feel a huge responsibility towards my country. It may sound too solemn but a sportsperson’s goal is to defend his/her country’s honour. It’s very important for all your dreams, all your efforts to come to fruition. 










 Many thanks, Lupita

Pictures courtesy of the RGF.

Comments

  1. I adore this gymnast! I really do!!! Unless Komova and Mustafina hit in qualifications, there is a high chance Grishina may be in that AA final - well we can only hope. And there is TF! I wonder if she has her amanar yet? I remember interviews where she was adamant that the 6.5 start value vault was her only chance for the top rankings. She is a classical, beautiful gymnast in every sense of the word! Wishing her all the best in London!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I don't' think many of us realize that some of these gymnasts have a hard life at times. Her dad had a heart attack and her mom doesn't work. It isn't easy for her, fortunately she has siblings as well.

    I hope she recovers from whatever injury she has and is able to help Russia fight for the gold medal if possible.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Virtual tour of Lake Krugloye

Ksenia from Russia wrote to me as follows : 'I decided to write about a little update on this site .  Suddenly you do not know but you may be interested in "The virtual gym" where you can see the training center for gymnastics at the "Round Lake" A very interesting thing if you want to look into what's inside.' She is right - it is fascinating - with tours of both the men's and women's gyms, pictures of the coaches and gymnasts, and all the different areas, including a reception with displays of awards and the rehabilitation and recovery facilities.  Take some time to click on the arrows and try out all of the different features.  It is in Russian but the tools are reasonably intuitive and if you have a basic grasp of the Cyrillic alphabet you can make sense of the whole. Scrolling round the panorama makes me feel a little bit dizzy and also gives a slightly distorted perspective to some of the views, which I think is a characteristic...

Simone and the others - results and reflections

In the end, it was as predicted : Simone and the others, with Simone's teammate, Alexandra Raisman, providing the back up.  I do not need to point out that, by definition, the Americans are scoring significantly higher marks than the rest of the field.  Congratulations to them! Aliya Mustafina finished in third place.  The 2012 bronze medalist led the competition after vault and uneven bars, but had a very nervous outing on beam that might have taken a less experienced gymnast out of the medals.  A bravura performance on floor brought Aliya back though to confirm her third place all around.  From her senior debut in 2010 to today, Mustafina has continuously set high standards of grace.    It is the first time since 2000 that a gymnast (Amanar) has medalled in the all around at two consecutive Olympics, and  if Aliya can medal on Saturday's uneven bars final, she will once again be Russia's biggest medal winner of the women's gymnastics.  Russ...

Viktoria Komova - apology

Viktoria wrote some hasty words last night in the heat of the moment.  We all have such times, when hurt feelings lead us to behave uncharacteristically.  It is not important what she said; it is important that Vika has reflected and wants us all to read this message which she published on VK.com this morning. "Dear friends! I want to apologize for my statements about American girls, about drugs, all my words were spoken on emotions. Of course I haven't any proof and didn't really mean it and so on... I am so sorry. I want to apologize for my character to all of you". Vika, we are still with you every step of the way.

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more