Skip to main content

Nikolai Andrianov, Olympic Hero

For many years, Collet's socialist bookshop on Tottenham Court Road, London was somewhere I went to find little treasures of Soviet gymnastics.  It was a subject that was sparsely, often very cynically treated by the British press, and it is hard to explain how ridiculously valuable every last jewel of information seemed.  I read more than I could buy, but remember the thrill of finding my first copies of Sport in the USSR.  And there were, occasionally, books and booklets, too. 

I stumbled across this little biography of Nikolai Andrianov when sorting through some books and papers recently.  I love the look of it, the use of black and white photography, the presentation of Andrianov as a man of the people, the arty farty shots of the chalked up hands, the Olympic champion exhausted in a pile of foam.  It was 95p, not much then or now, but worth a whole lot more to me, always. 

I have a new camera, ready for my trip to Moscow later this spring, and tried it out, taking a few photographs of the book.  I'm not a very good photographer, but I did want to share my moment of nostalgia.  'Sports are, first and foremost, competition.  But this doesn't mean all means are good to beat your rivals.  Soviet sportsmen live by fair play' reads a comment on the back cover, reminding me that this publication is, fundamentally, a tool of promotion for the Soviet state.  But, then again, Andrianov was the perfect role model.

Published by Raduga,1979
He reminds me a little bit of Denis Ablyazin in this cheeky shot.
Hands, chalk, grips, gold medals

Just a small proportion of the Andrianov medal booty



Hard at work with coach Nikolai Tolkachev

With the love of his life, Liubov Burda-Andrianova


Just an ordinary man : preparing salad for dinner

Future talent - with the future World Champion, Yuri Korolev, right


Comments

  1. The last second picture... the awkward moment when boys are more elegant than certain girls hahaha! LOL now I'm just trolling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the bookshop well, and also this particular series of booklets on the gymnasts. I still have the one on Nelli Kim! The shop also supplied me with "Soviet Gymnastics Stars" by Vladimir Golubev (1979); an excellent book. Furthermore, they kept sending me, for years and years, copies of "Soviet Weekly", until sometime in the Gorbachev era it dawned on them that I had never paid a subscription, and the supply stopped!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a copy of Soviet Gymnastics Stars too; but purchased from Ebay recently - it was too much for my pocket back in the 1980s. But I remember seeing it on the shelf in Collets. There was just the one copy; perhaps the same one that you have now?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Virtual tour of Lake Krugloye

Ksenia from Russia wrote to me as follows : 'I decided to write about a little update on this site .  Suddenly you do not know but you may be interested in "The virtual gym" where you can see the training center for gymnastics at the "Round Lake" A very interesting thing if you want to look into what's inside.' She is right - it is fascinating - with tours of both the men's and women's gyms, pictures of the coaches and gymnasts, and all the different areas, including a reception with displays of awards and the rehabilitation and recovery facilities.  Take some time to click on the arrows and try out all of the different features.  It is in Russian but the tools are reasonably intuitive and if you have a basic grasp of the Cyrillic alphabet you can make sense of the whole. Scrolling round the panorama makes me feel a little bit dizzy and also gives a slightly distorted perspective to some of the views, which I think is a characteristic...

Simone and the others - results and reflections

In the end, it was as predicted : Simone and the others, with Simone's teammate, Alexandra Raisman, providing the back up.  I do not need to point out that, by definition, the Americans are scoring significantly higher marks than the rest of the field.  Congratulations to them! Aliya Mustafina finished in third place.  The 2012 bronze medalist led the competition after vault and uneven bars, but had a very nervous outing on beam that might have taken a less experienced gymnast out of the medals.  A bravura performance on floor brought Aliya back though to confirm her third place all around.  From her senior debut in 2010 to today, Mustafina has continuously set high standards of grace.    It is the first time since 2000 that a gymnast (Amanar) has medalled in the all around at two consecutive Olympics, and  if Aliya can medal on Saturday's uneven bars final, she will once again be Russia's biggest medal winner of the women's gymnastics.  Russ...

Viktoria Komova - apology

Viktoria wrote some hasty words last night in the heat of the moment.  We all have such times, when hurt feelings lead us to behave uncharacteristically.  It is not important what she said; it is important that Vika has reflected and wants us all to read this message which she published on VK.com this morning. "Dear friends! I want to apologize for my statements about American girls, about drugs, all my words were spoken on emotions. Of course I haven't any proof and didn't really mean it and so on... I am so sorry. I want to apologize for my character to all of you". Vika, we are still with you every step of the way.

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more