Skip to main content

Mustafina, Grishina, Paseka, Afanasyeva - four for Moscow

Anastasia Grishina at the Russian Championships in Penza earlier this month.  Picture courtesy of RGF
Nominative registrations are now out for the upcoming European Championships in Moscow.

Women : Aliya Mustafina, Anastasia Grishina, Maria Paseka, Ksenia Afanasyeva

I'm delighted to see Afanasyeva on the team - to me, she is the natural selection over the still developing Evgeniya Shelgunova, whose selection could really only be justified on developmental grounds - and perhaps this could be seen as rather indulgent given the current competitive climate in world gymnastics.  Afanasyeva really adds clout to what is a mature and classy Russian team.  She was also looking on good acrobatic form at the French International recently - perhaps less focussed on her dance, but then since when did this really matter to the scores?

Aliya Mustafina is reportedly competing at the Stella Zakharova Cup in Ukraine this weekend so we shall have a chance to see how her preparations are going.  Both Anastasia Grishina and Ksenia Afanasyeva have put in convincing showings at recent competitions, with Grishina looking much stronger and more confident than in London, in my opinion a legitimate contender for the all around gold, and Afanasyeva hopefully able to fight for a European floor gold to add to her World medal from 2011.

But remember what happened last time Europeans were staged in Moscow - 1987?  There the graceful young Daniela Silivas came in and stole the all around title from young pretender, Alleftina Priakhina, leaving veteran Elena Shushunova with a bronze medal.  I would love to see Romanian Larissa Iordache make a similar impact at this competition and compete closely for a medal in the all around.  European gymnastics needs and deserves a higher profile than it gets and a beautiful podium of Grishina, Mustafina and Iordache would really emphasise the classical artistry that is still so much a characteristic of the sport in these parts of the world.

The Russian men's team includes Denis Ablyazin, David Belyavski, Alexander Balandin, Emin Garibov, newcomer Matvei Petrov and Nikita Ignatyev.    Belyavski and Ignatyeva are going for the all around.

Enjoy Anastasia Grishina's gold medal winning beam routine from last weekend's Cottbus Cup.



Appreciate Ksenia Afanasyeva's floor routine from the French International of two weeks ago:




Comments

  1. Really pleased with Grishina this weekend! While during the Olympics cycle I liked her, I wanted Komova and Mustafina in the AA. But now, I would really like to see Grishina develop into a consistent performer and shake things up in Russia. Haha, as much as I like her I will have a hard time rooting for her to beat Komova or Mustafina this cycle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was obvious that Afan would get picked.

    Europeans will be interesting. Hopefully everyone can hit,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grishina looks good! A little lack of difficulty tho, but that can be added later for important competitions. No point in getting hurt now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw Grishina's performance in Cottbus, I think she's getting along with her new coach and more confident than before... but I think she penalized severely on UB Final, I mean 8.275 E-score for that routine is just unfair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted Nabs to be selected. I don't know how she is doing now, but why hadn't she made it? Did they just don't need her or was she not good enough?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too believe that Tanya should be selected for every national team on grounds of her entertainment value.

      However, I think she is in training for this summer's Universiade rather than in contention for the first team for major competitions. Valentina R has reported that she is training hard with this goal in mind.

      Tatiana is eligible for the Universiade as she attends the Lesgaft Institute. The age restrictions make such gymnasts as Komova and Grishina ineligible, meaning that competition to reach the team is less fierce than for competitions such as Worlds and Euros. I guess that the Universiade may be Nabieva's last major competition, if she makes it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Virtual tour of Lake Krugloye

Ksenia from Russia wrote to me as follows : 'I decided to write about a little update on this site .  Suddenly you do not know but you may be interested in "The virtual gym" where you can see the training center for gymnastics at the "Round Lake" A very interesting thing if you want to look into what's inside.' She is right - it is fascinating - with tours of both the men's and women's gyms, pictures of the coaches and gymnasts, and all the different areas, including a reception with displays of awards and the rehabilitation and recovery facilities.  Take some time to click on the arrows and try out all of the different features.  It is in Russian but the tools are reasonably intuitive and if you have a basic grasp of the Cyrillic alphabet you can make sense of the whole. Scrolling round the panorama makes me feel a little bit dizzy and also gives a slightly distorted perspective to some of the views, which I think is a characteristic...

Simone and the others - results and reflections

In the end, it was as predicted : Simone and the others, with Simone's teammate, Alexandra Raisman, providing the back up.  I do not need to point out that, by definition, the Americans are scoring significantly higher marks than the rest of the field.  Congratulations to them! Aliya Mustafina finished in third place.  The 2012 bronze medalist led the competition after vault and uneven bars, but had a very nervous outing on beam that might have taken a less experienced gymnast out of the medals.  A bravura performance on floor brought Aliya back though to confirm her third place all around.  From her senior debut in 2010 to today, Mustafina has continuously set high standards of grace.    It is the first time since 2000 that a gymnast (Amanar) has medalled in the all around at two consecutive Olympics, and  if Aliya can medal on Saturday's uneven bars final, she will once again be Russia's biggest medal winner of the women's gymnastics.  Russ...

Mustafina, Melnikova and Afanasyeva - Russia’s three divas train together to the tunes of Michael Jackson

M elnikova, Mustafina and Afanasyeva take creative control at Round Lake.     You can see the video on Angelina Melnikova’s YouTube channel. They are discussing a new floor routine for Angelina; she wants to dance to Michael Jackson. Afanasyeva, 2012 Olympic medalist and a world champion on the floor, has been a choreographer for the national team for a few years now.    She says, ‘Gel, first we need to understand the plan—what we’re actually doing.’ They discuss how many tumbles Angelina will perform, and where the tumbles will come in the routine.    Angelina says, she likes ‘Billie Jean’, it’s her favourite … But Afanasyeva has other ideas, linking into the dance shapes she has seen in a video: ‘Thriller . Start with  Thriller . It begins with that image, right from the beginning when it starts.’    She shows us the dance. ‘I suggest taking a 1.5-minute or 1-minute segment of the dance directly.’ They promise to be in touch by email. ...

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more