Skip to main content

Russian Cup - online streaming coverage

Find a link here to online streaming coverage of the Russian Cup.

The list of events gives a local starting time of 17.00 hours tomorrow (18th August) - which is the women's all around competition.   I don't think, therefore, that they are planning to provide coverage of qualifications.

Fingers crossed that this link will work for everyone - I doubt we will get to see video of the competition as I believe cameras are banned from the arena.  It may only be a static camera - we will just have to hope for the best.

There is an online world clock available here so you can work out at what unearthly time you will need to be up.  Give yourself time to make a cup of coffee if you need it, and to download the viewer.

There is a short photo reportage here of the opening ceremony of the Cup.  Gymnasts who can be seen (using your best eagle eye) include Afanasyeva, Semenova, Musina, Kurbatova and Grishina; no start lists as yet and I suppose we'll probably have to wait for the Federation to upload full results before we know who has competed.

This is an important competition, reported to be the principle selection for the forthcoming Tokyo World Championships.



Comments

  1. Wouldn't connect for me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not connecting for me either :-(
    I suppose one day these technical glitches will be cleared ...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Simone and the others - results and reflections

In the end, it was as predicted : Simone and the others, with Simone's teammate, Alexandra Raisman, providing the back up.  I do not need to point out that, by definition, the Americans are scoring significantly higher marks than the rest of the field.  Congratulations to them! Aliya Mustafina finished in third place.  The 2012 bronze medalist led the competition after vault and uneven bars, but had a very nervous outing on beam that might have taken a less experienced gymnast out of the medals.  A bravura performance on floor brought Aliya back though to confirm her third place all around.  From her senior debut in 2010 to today, Mustafina has continuously set high standards of grace.    It is the first time since 2000 that a gymnast (Amanar) has medalled in the all around at two consecutive Olympics, and  if Aliya can medal on Saturday's uneven bars final, she will once again be Russia's biggest medal winner of the women's gymnastics.  Russ...

Viktoria Komova - apology

Viktoria wrote some hasty words last night in the heat of the moment.  We all have such times, when hurt feelings lead us to behave uncharacteristically.  It is not important what she said; it is important that Vika has reflected and wants us all to read this message which she published on VK.com this morning. "Dear friends! I want to apologize for my statements about American girls, about drugs, all my words were spoken on emotions. Of course I haven't any proof and didn't really mean it and so on... I am so sorry. I want to apologize for my character to all of you". Vika, we are still with you every step of the way.

Who really won the WAG All Around?

You will find a link to the FIG's newly published book of results at the Olympic Games here .  This year, they have broken down the judge's execution scores so you can see exactly how each judge evaluated the gymnasts' performances.  It makes for interesting reading - if only I had more time to analyse each judge's marking.  A skim reading already highlights multiple inconsistencies in individual judges' marks and makes you wonder why they bother with the jury at all. I have taken the time to look at the reference judges' scores for the top four in the women's all around.  The FIG explains here what their role is, and how they are selected.  I even used my calculator, which is a risky thing in my hands.  My, how I wish we could have seen a similar document for the Tokyo World Championships. I wonder if anyone can explain how, if the FIG's Code of Points is so objective and fair, it is possible to come up with two different results using two differ...

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more