Skip to main content

Gymnastika - new issue out

The Russian Gymnastics Federation has published a new issue of its magazine.

Every time I look at these, I wish I had stuck at my Russian classes ... as things stand, they are a wonderful visual recorder of Russian successes and histories, but I would love to be able to engage more with the deeper things presented here.  This issue has a stunning picture of Mustafina on the cover, and inside it a gem ... a piece on Bruno Grandi entitled 'Bruno Grandi : Russian gymnastics is very beautiful!'.   It's an interview, so the man speaks for himself.  I'd love to know what it says and if I do manage to get into a Google translation or find a translation anywhere that the author doesn't mind me using, I promise to post the findings here.  

You will also find an amazing, Facebook-page-worthy picture of the Russian team, all fitted out in best fashion wear, and serving as the topping for a 2011 calendar.

The magazine also includes a feature on Mustafina along with comments from Alexandrov, a look at the life of the doctors on the Russian coaching team (seems to emphasise the relationship between doctors and coaches and how the doctors work hard to get the coaches to follow their advice), and a feature on Evegenyi Podgornyi.  Podgornyi, incidentally, comments ruefully that 'no one does the triple back any more'.

Worthy of more than the momentary scan I've been able to give it, and perhaps grappling with the Google translate will reveal more ... I'll let you know once I've finished this huge pile of marking.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mustafina, Melnikova and Afanasyeva - Russia’s three divas train together to the tunes of Michael Jackson

M elnikova, Mustafina and Afanasyeva take creative control at Round Lake.     You can see the video on Angelina Melnikova’s YouTube channel. They are discussing a new floor routine for Angelina; she wants to dance to Michael Jackson. Afanasyeva, 2012 Olympic medalist and a world champion on the floor, has been a choreographer for the national team for a few years now.    She says, ‘Gel, first we need to understand the plan—what we’re actually doing.’ They discuss how many tumbles Angelina will perform, and where the tumbles will come in the routine.    Angelina says, she likes ‘Billie Jean’, it’s her favourite … But Afanasyeva has other ideas, linking into the dance shapes she has seen in a video: ‘Thriller . Start with  Thriller . It begins with that image, right from the beginning when it starts.’    She shows us the dance. ‘I suggest taking a 1.5-minute or 1-minute segment of the dance directly.’ They promise to be in touch by email. ...

Andrei Rodionenko explains Russia's performance at Worlds - Lupitatranslates

Rodionenko with European Champion David Belyavski  Courtesy RGF/Elena Mikhailova This is the interview that many people on the internet have already commented on, regarding Andrei Rodionenko's alleged racism.  The original, Russian language version, appears on VTB Bank's website (VTB are sponsors of Russian gymnastics).  It takes cleverer people than me to decide what is racism, what is deliberately perjorative, and what is inferred in an interviewer's question.  For now, I will not comment on this, therefore, but I would ask you to read Lupita's translation carefully before you form your own opinion.   I am providing some links below which might help you to decide where you stand. Definition of racism Definition of sexism BBC Sport article by Matthew Syed : Is it wrong to note that 100m winners are always black?            Updated 24/10 CSKA Moscow: UEFA opens racist chants case         ...

Simone and the others - results and reflections

In the end, it was as predicted : Simone and the others, with Simone's teammate, Alexandra Raisman, providing the back up.  I do not need to point out that, by definition, the Americans are scoring significantly higher marks than the rest of the field.  Congratulations to them! Aliya Mustafina finished in third place.  The 2012 bronze medalist led the competition after vault and uneven bars, but had a very nervous outing on beam that might have taken a less experienced gymnast out of the medals.  A bravura performance on floor brought Aliya back though to confirm her third place all around.  From her senior debut in 2010 to today, Mustafina has continuously set high standards of grace.    It is the first time since 2000 that a gymnast (Amanar) has medalled in the all around at two consecutive Olympics, and  if Aliya can medal on Saturday's uneven bars final, she will once again be Russia's biggest medal winner of the women's gymnastics.  Russ...

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more