Skip to main content

Russia Reacts to the Lifting of Sporting Sanctions

The decision by World Gymnastics, and European Gymnastics, to lift restrictions on Russian athletes has triggered a wave of emotion and optimism across Russia’s gymnastics community. After years of competing under neutral status, the return of the flag and anthem has been hailed as a symbolic victory—one that restores national pride and renews motivation among athletes and coaches alike.



Pride and Determination

Alexei Nemov, one of Russia’s most decorated gymnasts, expressed his joy at the restoration of national symbols:

‘I am very glad that we got back the flag ànd the anthem.  But we need to go there and reinforce this with good results on the podium.  Performing under the flag of one’s country gives confidence, but the flag ànd anthem alone will not give you medals.  The most important thing is quality preparation for international competitions by each individual gymnast.’

Nemov’s statement captures the balance between patriotism and professionalism—recognizing that success will depend on preparation, not just symbolism.


A new chapter for Russian gymnasts  

Angelina Melnikova described the moment as the start of a new era:

‘It seems to me that a new chapter is beginning in Russian gymnastics, and I am glad to be part of it.  I am having a wonderful time on holiday ànd smiling while receiving such great news.  I will return to Moscow ànd fully begin preparation for the European Championships.’

Her optimism captures the mood of rejuvenation within the federation—a sense that Russian gymnastics is ready to reclaim its place on the world stage.




                                                                        Celebration and unity   

David Belyavskiy praised European Gymnastics for what he called “the only correct decision”:

‘European Gymnastics made the only correct decision in this situation,  removing all restrictions from our athletes.  I’m confident that our team will perform excellently in Croatia, and we’ll hear the national anthem more than once, and sing it together.  We are proud of you!’

His statement radiates national pride and solidarity—not only with Russian athletes but also with Belarusian colleagues who faced similar limitations.




Renewed focus on competition   

Chief coach Dmitry Andreev highlighted the practical benefits of the decision:

‘A great event has occurred.  Very glad for the entire gymnastics community and especially our athletes.  Now we no longer have to wonder whether somebody will be given neutral status; we can consider all the athletes and decide how we will do the best with our teams.’

For Andreev, the lifting of sanctions means clarity and fairness—allowing coaches to focus purely on athletic merit rather than political constraints.


 


The collective sentiment among Russian gymnasts and coaches is clear—relief, pride, and renewed determination. The return of the flag and anthem symbolizes more than national identity; it marks a psychological turning point. As preparations begin for upcoming European competitions, Russia’s gymnastics community appears united in its goal: to prove that resilience and dedication can overcome even the toughest challenges.

With thanks to the RGF for the graphics.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who really won the WAG All Around?

You will find a link to the FIG's newly published book of results at the Olympic Games here .  This year, they have broken down the judge's execution scores so you can see exactly how each judge evaluated the gymnasts' performances.  It makes for interesting reading - if only I had more time to analyse each judge's marking.  A skim reading already highlights multiple inconsistencies in individual judges' marks and makes you wonder why they bother with the jury at all. I have taken the time to look at the reference judges' scores for the top four in the women's all around.  The FIG explains here what their role is, and how they are selected.  I even used my calculator, which is a risky thing in my hands.  My, how I wish we could have seen a similar document for the Tokyo World Championships. I wonder if anyone can explain how, if the FIG's Code of Points is so objective and fair, it is possible to come up with two different results using two differ...

Viktoria Komova - back pain has forced me to step down

I awoke this morning to a very simple statement from Viktoria Komova, on her vk.com site, which Papa Liukin has translated (via the IG forum): 'Dear friends, fans, and gymnastics lovers. Unfortunately back pain isn't allowing me to train to my full potential and get ready for competitions. I've made the very difficult decision to stop training and take care of my health. I want to thank everyone for their support! Without your love and warmth it would've been more difficult to go all the way. Thanks everyone and see you soon! Love and kisses.' Well, first of all, good wishes and best of luck to Viktoria, who has struggled since 2012 to re-establish herself fully as a competitive gymnast, whose talent was so great that she secured gold on bars at two different World Championships, four years apart, whose career was littered with controversy, who must be allowed to live her life as she wishes.   I know that the 'gymternet' will now be overflowing...

Aliya Mustafina - 'each medal is very special'

'I'm very happy that everything turned out well today  ... Each medal is very special.  The UK team made mistakes, so there was a wide margin [of victory]... But naturally, [what I did] is not enough for the Olympics.  I prepared well for beam and bars but I am not ready for floor, I stepped up to help the team. ... To be honest, I did not look at the scores [when asked how the team reacted to the 6.5 gap before the final apparatus].  Gelya (Melnikova) is a good girl, she did everything and did not falter ... Seda fell on quite a complex element.  There is more work to do, but everything else went well.' [About a protest taken by the coaches on her beam score]. 'I am used to my protests being rejected, everything is normal!' Via vk.com I n other news , the UEG has confirmed that Spiridonova will replace Melnikova in tomorrow's bars final. No reason is given, but it is generally considered that Dasha has a better chance of gold.  This decision also means tha...

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more