Skip to main content

Grace Under Fire — Ukrainian Gymnastics Amid War


A Quiet Moment on the Podium

Sofiia Krainska is a young Ukrainian gymnast who won a silver medal at the 2026 European Championships. Instead of celebrating, she covered her face with her hands while standing on the podium. The photo shows a calm, private reaction rather than a public celebration. A Russian gymnast had won the gold medal, and Sofia had to listen to the Russian anthem, and watch the Russian flag rise as she stood in front of the audience.

The competition is the European Championships of Rhythmic Gymnastics, both junior and senior, and it's the first time that the Russian anthem has been played in a gymnastics arena since the beginning of Russia's war with Ukraine.  Ukraine is expected to continue to protest against the raising of the Russian flag, and playing of the Russian anthem, in forthcoming competitions.  Ukraine want a a peace agreement and for Russia to stop bombing their homes.

Sport and the Wider World

For some athletes, competitions are affected by events at home. The Ukrainian Gymnastics Federation explained that young gymnasts were participating in competitions, and had to listen to the Russian national anthem while worrying about their families and towns, which are under attack from the Russian military. Many people see the return of Russian athletes with their flag and anthem as a sensitive issue. These facts show how international sport can reflect wider tensions.

What the Image Suggests

Krainska’s posture — bowed head and trembling hands — can be read in different ways. Some see it as sadness or worry. Others see it as quiet strength. The silver medal remains a sign of athletic skill, while the moment on the podium points to the athlete's complicated feelings.

A Reminder of Context

These photographs by Mariya Muzychenko capture more than a competition result. They show an athlete performing under difficult circumstances and remind viewers that sport often exists alongside real-world events. The image of Krainska on the podium is a simple, clear example of how personal achievement and outside pressures can affect athletes.

Echoes of the Past

At the 1968 Mexico Olympics, Czech gymnast Vera Caslavska faced a similar situation. Her home city of Prague had been invaded by the Soviet army at the same time as she was preparing for the Games. Caslavska won gold medals - but also had to share the podium with Soviet gymnasts. She turned her head away during the playing of the Soviet anthem, to show her distress and protest for her country's freedom.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who really won the WAG All Around?

You will find a link to the FIG's newly published book of results at the Olympic Games here .  This year, they have broken down the judge's execution scores so you can see exactly how each judge evaluated the gymnasts' performances.  It makes for interesting reading - if only I had more time to analyse each judge's marking.  A skim reading already highlights multiple inconsistencies in individual judges' marks and makes you wonder why they bother with the jury at all. I have taken the time to look at the reference judges' scores for the top four in the women's all around.  The FIG explains here what their role is, and how they are selected.  I even used my calculator, which is a risky thing in my hands.  My, how I wish we could have seen a similar document for the Tokyo World Championships. I wonder if anyone can explain how, if the FIG's Code of Points is so objective and fair, it is possible to come up with two different results using two differ...

Viktoria Komova - back pain has forced me to step down

I awoke this morning to a very simple statement from Viktoria Komova, on her vk.com site, which Papa Liukin has translated (via the IG forum): 'Dear friends, fans, and gymnastics lovers. Unfortunately back pain isn't allowing me to train to my full potential and get ready for competitions. I've made the very difficult decision to stop training and take care of my health. I want to thank everyone for their support! Without your love and warmth it would've been more difficult to go all the way. Thanks everyone and see you soon! Love and kisses.' Well, first of all, good wishes and best of luck to Viktoria, who has struggled since 2012 to re-establish herself fully as a competitive gymnast, whose talent was so great that she secured gold on bars at two different World Championships, four years apart, whose career was littered with controversy, who must be allowed to live her life as she wishes.   I know that the 'gymternet' will now be overflowing...

Aliya Mustafina - 'each medal is very special'

'I'm very happy that everything turned out well today  ... Each medal is very special.  The UK team made mistakes, so there was a wide margin [of victory]... But naturally, [what I did] is not enough for the Olympics.  I prepared well for beam and bars but I am not ready for floor, I stepped up to help the team. ... To be honest, I did not look at the scores [when asked how the team reacted to the 6.5 gap before the final apparatus].  Gelya (Melnikova) is a good girl, she did everything and did not falter ... Seda fell on quite a complex element.  There is more work to do, but everything else went well.' [About a protest taken by the coaches on her beam score]. 'I am used to my protests being rejected, everything is normal!' Via vk.com I n other news , the UEG has confirmed that Spiridonova will replace Melnikova in tomorrow's bars final. No reason is given, but it is generally considered that Dasha has a better chance of gold.  This decision also means tha...

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more