Skip to main content

Angelina Melnikova - Tsaritsa of Russian Gymnastics



An interview with the new Russian leader Angelina Melnikova.  She sounds like such a nice, level-headed, serious girl.  I can't wait to see her compete at Europeans.  

Angelina Melnikova from Voronezh has won three top awards in the Russian Championships - in the all-around, exercise, balance beam and floor exercise. After a successful debut at the senior level the 15-year-old gymnast has been included in the national team for the European Championships, which will take place from 26 May to 5 June in Switzerland. In conversation with 'Stadion' correspondent, Alexander Barmina, the athlete shared her impressions from the competition:

- Of course, I am very happy that the competition went so well for me.  I was worried - in fact this is my first "adult" Championship. On Sunday, when the event medals were contested on the balance beam and floor, I was drawn to go first. For me, this is always easier, because when there is a wait, it is very scary, and the excitement builds. When you are first, you don't think about the possibility of falling, you just warm up and go and do everything you can do.   I had a slight error in one of my connecting elements, but otherwise everything else was done properly.

On the floor exercise it was a little bit hard - there was accumulated fatigue - especially in my legs. One of my turns was not ideal. I had to do it as if on "someone else's" leg. Many of them work in training, but it can be difficult to avoid mistakes.

I am considered an expert in the all-around, so that I don't have a favourite apparatus.  I probably don't have a weaker apparatus, either.  However, I don't yet have a second vault.  It is necessary for me to increase my values there, and improve my performance. On the other apparatus, I have simply to "clean up." On uneven bars, maybe I will add some difficulty, "connect" something. This is when it comes to preparing for the Olympics - of course, competing there is my dream.

My grandmother brought me to the gym ten years ago when I was six years old. Immediately I liked everything. When we were young, we all admired Vika Komova. When she came to us in the gym, we would always have photographs. Today I have no idols in the gym.

Source - http://stadium.ru/news/10-04-2016-angelina-melnikova-schitayus-spetsialistom-po-mnogoboryu-lyubimih-vidov-u-menya-net-otstayuschih-toje

Comments

  1. Is she hinting at a vault upgrade �� it seems difficult to do in the remaining 3 months but that would help Russias team performance greatly. And speaking of vault upgrades, any news as to whether or not Afan is bringing back her amanar? Seems like she totally wasted it in 2013, it would be so valuable now. The only solid amanar the US has right now is Biles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing with Afan's Amanar is that she doesn't really *have* an Amanar - she's landed it twice, both times in competition, and that's awesome, but it's not like she has an Amanar that she can do whenever she feels like. In training she barely hits it, which is why she keeps it just for event finals (no point in taking the risk in qualifications or TFs, but in EFs she'll either medal or nothing).

      Delete
    2. It is better to have a gymnast who doesn't hit in training but hits in competition than vice versa. I know Afans amanar hasn't been seen since 2013 which is why I was asking if there was any news at to whether or not she was training it. She would be most valuable with a strong vault and strong floor. At this point it would seem only worth it for her to do it during team finals because a vault medal is highly unlikely with her shaky execution and lesser second vault.

      Delete
    3. ^Afan did her Amanar in 2015.....and it was pretty good

      Delete
  2. "I know Afans amanar hasn't been seen since 2013"
    excuse me? 2015 euros?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the one I was thinking of but for some reason thought it was 2013 oops gymnastics occurs too infrequently seems like years has passed! Thanks for the correction.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Virtual tour of Lake Krugloye

Ksenia from Russia wrote to me as follows : 'I decided to write about a little update on this site .  Suddenly you do not know but you may be interested in "The virtual gym" where you can see the training center for gymnastics at the "Round Lake" A very interesting thing if you want to look into what's inside.' She is right - it is fascinating - with tours of both the men's and women's gyms, pictures of the coaches and gymnasts, and all the different areas, including a reception with displays of awards and the rehabilitation and recovery facilities.  Take some time to click on the arrows and try out all of the different features.  It is in Russian but the tools are reasonably intuitive and if you have a basic grasp of the Cyrillic alphabet you can make sense of the whole. Scrolling round the panorama makes me feel a little bit dizzy and also gives a slightly distorted perspective to some of the views, which I think is a characteristic...

Simone and the others - results and reflections

In the end, it was as predicted : Simone and the others, with Simone's teammate, Alexandra Raisman, providing the back up.  I do not need to point out that, by definition, the Americans are scoring significantly higher marks than the rest of the field.  Congratulations to them! Aliya Mustafina finished in third place.  The 2012 bronze medalist led the competition after vault and uneven bars, but had a very nervous outing on beam that might have taken a less experienced gymnast out of the medals.  A bravura performance on floor brought Aliya back though to confirm her third place all around.  From her senior debut in 2010 to today, Mustafina has continuously set high standards of grace.    It is the first time since 2000 that a gymnast (Amanar) has medalled in the all around at two consecutive Olympics, and  if Aliya can medal on Saturday's uneven bars final, she will once again be Russia's biggest medal winner of the women's gymnastics.  Russ...

Mustafina, Melnikova and Afanasyeva - Russia’s three divas train together to the tunes of Michael Jackson

M elnikova, Mustafina and Afanasyeva take creative control at Round Lake.     You can see the video on Angelina Melnikova’s YouTube channel. They are discussing a new floor routine for Angelina; she wants to dance to Michael Jackson. Afanasyeva, 2012 Olympic medalist and a world champion on the floor, has been a choreographer for the national team for a few years now.    She says, ‘Gel, first we need to understand the plan—what we’re actually doing.’ They discuss how many tumbles Angelina will perform, and where the tumbles will come in the routine.    Angelina says, she likes ‘Billie Jean’, it’s her favourite … But Afanasyeva has other ideas, linking into the dance shapes she has seen in a video: ‘Thriller . Start with  Thriller . It begins with that image, right from the beginning when it starts.’    She shows us the dance. ‘I suggest taking a 1.5-minute or 1-minute segment of the dance directly.’ They promise to be in touch by email. ...

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more