Skip to main content

Tatiana Nabiyeva: 'I will fight for a ticket to Rio if I do well in Penza'

Contemplating her future - Tatiana Nabiyeva

Extracts from an interview with Natalia Plekhanov of All Sport - http://www.allsportinfo.ru/index.php?id=94780

'If the Russia Cup does not work out I will finish my career and move on to coaching'

- I have not been training, until July 25, I have a little break.  Then I'll start to train in St. Petersburg. I haven't been invited to centralized training with the Russian national team at the training base,  "Round Lake".  My health is all right. Sometimes, I have back pain, but I'm used to it (laughs). I have had back problems for ten years, I put up with it.

- I did terribly at the Russian Championships in March!  After last year's World Championships in China, where we won the bronze medal in the team competition, I, unfortunately, relaxed a great deal, put on some weight. I was supposed to compete at a tournament in France, but couldn't. I stopped training, and until mid-February hardly went to the gym at all. I wanted to finish with the sport completely. But I had to represent the St Petersburg team at the Russian Championships in Penza.   ... I was not ready. Nobody could prepare properly for a competition in two weeks ... During the competition, I decided to compete only on vault and uneven bars.

- In mid-May, you were on the "Dityatin Cup." What are the goals set for this tournament?
- In mid-May, at the Dityatin Cup, I did what I could -vault - where I came first and uneven bars, where I did better than in the Russian Championships.  However, I came second to Elisabeth Seitz, whose D score was 6.6, while mine was 5.9.   ...   I really wanted to go to the Universiade, but unfortunately, after the Russian championship I was removed from the list for training. Of course, I was very upset. But I am to blame for all that has happened.

- I will participate in the Russia Cup!   I will finally decide on my routines - and whether to do the all around - a week before the competition.   I can't say what my goals will be, that will depend on my form. If I do well, I will join the team to prepare for the Olympic Games.  I will continue to train, I will fight for a ticket to Rio 2016. And if it does not work out - I will finish my career and move on to coaching.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We are satisfied - Aliya Mustafina

Photo credit: RGF An Allsport interview today with Aliya Mustafina : http://www.allsportinfo.ru/index.php?id=83075 'I think that we are to be congratulated on this bronze medal, we are more satisfied than frustrated', said Aliya Mustafina. 'We were a new team, all the girls are young, and it's their first time in such a serious competition.  I think today we performed to the best of our ability.  Yes, we have had two falls today - on the uneven bars and balance beam.' 'The young girls failed  psychologically, but  the first time you compete on the senior podium - it's not very easy.  No  one is sad.  I  am very pleased with such a performance.  Everything  was fair enough, maybe not everywhere and in all things, but overall it was quite as expected, both our rivals, and the judging.' 'I began to experience more pain in the ankle - continued Aliya Mustafina. - To do the dismounts I had to muster all my strength and clench my teeth.  The coaches have d

Kustova and Vorona have retired

TASS reports that promising junior Diana Kustova (Moscow) has retired, and taken up work as a fitness trainer.  Yana Vorona (Voronezh), a great beam worker who looked likely to achieve as a full member of the senior team, has also retired. Both gymnasts have been unable to get back to elite level after injury. No further news on Vlada Urazova (Rostov).  The only Olympians who will be present at Novosibirsk for the Russian Cup will be Angelina Melnikova and Viktoria Listunova.  Russia is almost entirely reliant now on the new generation of  2007/8 born gymnasts to carry forward their gymnastics legacy.   Here is what head coach Valentina Rodionenko has to say: Members of the Russian national artistic gymnastics team Diana Kustova and Yana Vorona have ended their careers. This was reported to TASS by the senior coach of the national team Valentina Rodionenko. 💛"Kustova ended her career in artistic gymnastics and went into fitness, according to my information, she is now working as

The loneliness of the long distance blogger

I’m the one individual who has run this blog since 2009.     Since 1972 I have followed the Soviet and Russian gymnasts through thick and thin.   This has included times when virtually no information reached our ears to times when there has been so much information that my brain has felt like it’s exploding.     There have been times when I have had to step back and slow down, others when I have felt I am arguing a vicarious debate for the gymnasts, for example in 2016 when they were threatened with an unfair Olympic ban for doping.     Sometimes I feel as though I don’t have the right to stop. These days I’m constantly questioning the rights and wrongs and trying to find a fair way forward that gives readers what they want, me and others a chance to speak our truths, reflects the reality of the sport in Russia, and is respectful towards Ukraine and its suffering.    My blog is about gymnastics, not war, but in order to be critical I need to heed the context.    At present that context

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more