Skip to main content

Emperor Grandi's New Clothes Revisited – Or – He’s so deaf, he can’t hear the laughing

The first thing that I saw when I linked to Bruno Grandi’s latest address to his adoring public was this :

‘I am grateful to have fellow authorities who were willing to follow me at a time when others would sow doubt and dissonance in the hearts of a wounded and writhing people, afflicted with the tragic events that wracked Japan.’

And the first thing I thought was,

‘At last! Finally he understands how distraught we all are at the mess he has made of the sport’.

Then I got things into context a little, and realised he was referring to a different disaster. It is important to keep gymnastics in perspective. But this honestly is a snapshot of my immediate reaction to this part of his address.

I must confess I read the next part of Our President’s letter with growing incredulity. In fact, I do wonder if he isn’t being rather sarcastic, here :

‘Never before, and I speak from no small amount of experience, have the scores given by judges so accurately reflected athlete performances. With few exceptions, easily identifiable cases that were swiftly corrected, judging today is of a rare calibre. This result is the fruit of our judges’ labour, and for that they have my utmost respect. Because of their commitment the product gymnastics has to offer has been enhanced and perfected.’

Surely, even President Grandi can’t be serious?  I've heard of spin, but this is ridiculous.

And the thing is, what does Mr Grandi actually do, apart from write deluded letters and messages to his public? I would quite like it, if only for comedic purposes, if the FIG would issue one of those fly-on-the-wall documentaries on its Youtube site. They could shadow our President Bruno over a period of a month or so, depicting him heroically leading meetings and conferences, potently taking important decisions about the future of gymnastics. Attending (even participitating in) big girls gymnastics-for-all displays in the mountains and lakes of Switzerland, home of the FIG. Practicing yodelling with the locals in an attempt to bring his sporting messages to the world.

Perhaps I am departing somewhat from reality here, but no more or less than President Bruno himself, and I am least comforted to understand that someone else in the world of gymnastics shares my over developed sense of fantasy and imagination.

What do you think of his statement?

Grandi is the voice of the FIG as much as anything. He is a politician. Quite obviously he has done a bit of PR training, and read a book by Alastair Campbell, the notorious UK government ‘spin doctor’. He has, therefore, learned that if you are the President, anything can be true if you only have the bare-faced cheek to say it. Only a few weeks ago, the Code was a ‘timebomb’, but now the sport it codifies is ‘enhanced and perfected’. Bravo, Emperor Bruno! You have taken spin to a new level! Time to invite Mr Campbell to Lausanne for a masterclass in wilful obfuscation! If only you had been Prime Minister, and not Tony Blair, we’d be having an exhibition of Iraqi WMD in the Tate Modern by now. Probably made of papier mache.

Emperor Grandi is standing proudly beside his exhibit, stark bollock naked.  He even has a copy of The Complete Tales of Hans Christian Andersen in one hand, a gift from a kind passer-by.  People are laughing, and pointing, like the boy in the Emperor’s New Clothes. But still the Emperor can't hear their uproarious, clamorous outbursts.

Comments

  1. Clearly Grandi is the next Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf. You've got to be deaf and blind when you say that the judging in Tokyo was accurate.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Virtual tour of Lake Krugloye

Ksenia from Russia wrote to me as follows : 'I decided to write about a little update on this site .  Suddenly you do not know but you may be interested in "The virtual gym" where you can see the training center for gymnastics at the "Round Lake" A very interesting thing if you want to look into what's inside.' She is right - it is fascinating - with tours of both the men's and women's gyms, pictures of the coaches and gymnasts, and all the different areas, including a reception with displays of awards and the rehabilitation and recovery facilities.  Take some time to click on the arrows and try out all of the different features.  It is in Russian but the tools are reasonably intuitive and if you have a basic grasp of the Cyrillic alphabet you can make sense of the whole. Scrolling round the panorama makes me feel a little bit dizzy and also gives a slightly distorted perspective to some of the views, which I think is a characteristic...

Mustafina, Melnikova and Afanasyeva - Russia’s three divas train together to the tunes of Michael Jackson

M elnikova, Mustafina and Afanasyeva take creative control at Round Lake.     You can see the video on Angelina Melnikova’s YouTube channel. They are discussing a new floor routine for Angelina; she wants to dance to Michael Jackson. Afanasyeva, 2012 Olympic medalist and a world champion on the floor, has been a choreographer for the national team for a few years now.    She says, ‘Gel, first we need to understand the plan—what we’re actually doing.’ They discuss how many tumbles Angelina will perform, and where the tumbles will come in the routine.    Angelina says, she likes ‘Billie Jean’, it’s her favourite … But Afanasyeva has other ideas, linking into the dance shapes she has seen in a video: ‘Thriller . Start with  Thriller . It begins with that image, right from the beginning when it starts.’    She shows us the dance. ‘I suggest taking a 1.5-minute or 1-minute segment of the dance directly.’ They promise to be in touch by email. ...

Andrei Rodionenko explains Russia's performance at Worlds - Lupitatranslates

Rodionenko with European Champion David Belyavski  Courtesy RGF/Elena Mikhailova This is the interview that many people on the internet have already commented on, regarding Andrei Rodionenko's alleged racism.  The original, Russian language version, appears on VTB Bank's website (VTB are sponsors of Russian gymnastics).  It takes cleverer people than me to decide what is racism, what is deliberately perjorative, and what is inferred in an interviewer's question.  For now, I will not comment on this, therefore, but I would ask you to read Lupita's translation carefully before you form your own opinion.   I am providing some links below which might help you to decide where you stand. Definition of racism Definition of sexism BBC Sport article by Matthew Syed : Is it wrong to note that 100m winners are always black?            Updated 24/10 CSKA Moscow: UEFA opens racist chants case         ...

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more