Skip to main content

Russian Cup schedule

I know there has been an hiatus in coverage on this blog, thanks to a holiday in Crete followed by some fairly heavy work schedules.  During this time the senior team has also taken a holiday in Mallorca, and the juniors are due to enjoy the pleasures of Palma also from the 8th to the 21st August (thanks to Alan Owen for this information).  But Russian gymnastics never seems to stop.  Olympic Hopes competitions have taken place in Russia, and there have also been interviews with Alexandrov and some other fairly useful media coverage.  I'm working on a directory to this at the moment, but it will take some time to catch up.  It's an intriguing time as new juniors for 2013 and beyond begin to establish themselves.

On the senior front, I'm beginning to wonder now who will make the team for Fukushima.  Alexandrov has been doing a lot of talking. I'm intrigued that Semenova is back, concerned that Nabieva may not be doing well, and delighted to see Afanasyeva looking so fit and sharp.  I have hopes for Dementieva despite Alexandrov's rather short treatment of her chances at world level.  But no interview or picture will ever tell the complete story as to how the gymnasts are doing.

I guess the first and perhaps the only advance indicator will be the upcoming Russian Cup competitions, taking place in Ekaterinburg from 15th to 21st August. 

The schedule of competitions has now been published on the Russian Gymnastics Federation website, and is as follows.  All times are local :

 
16th August                                Podium training
17th August        2.00 – 4.30      Women’s qualifications
17th August        5.30 – 8.00      Men’s qualfications
18th August        5.00 -7.00       Women’s all around
19th August        5.00 -7.00        Men’s all around
20th August        4.00 - 7.00       Apparatus finals 1
21st August        2.00 -5.00        Apparatus finals 2

I'll post further updates as they become available.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Virtual tour of Lake Krugloye

Ksenia from Russia wrote to me as follows : 'I decided to write about a little update on this site .  Suddenly you do not know but you may be interested in "The virtual gym" where you can see the training center for gymnastics at the "Round Lake" A very interesting thing if you want to look into what's inside.' She is right - it is fascinating - with tours of both the men's and women's gyms, pictures of the coaches and gymnasts, and all the different areas, including a reception with displays of awards and the rehabilitation and recovery facilities.  Take some time to click on the arrows and try out all of the different features.  It is in Russian but the tools are reasonably intuitive and if you have a basic grasp of the Cyrillic alphabet you can make sense of the whole. Scrolling round the panorama makes me feel a little bit dizzy and also gives a slightly distorted perspective to some of the views, which I think is a characteristic...

Mustafina, Melnikova and Afanasyeva - Russia’s three divas train together to the tunes of Michael Jackson

M elnikova, Mustafina and Afanasyeva take creative control at Round Lake.     You can see the video on Angelina Melnikova’s YouTube channel. They are discussing a new floor routine for Angelina; she wants to dance to Michael Jackson. Afanasyeva, 2012 Olympic medalist and a world champion on the floor, has been a choreographer for the national team for a few years now.    She says, ‘Gel, first we need to understand the plan—what we’re actually doing.’ They discuss how many tumbles Angelina will perform, and where the tumbles will come in the routine.    Angelina says, she likes ‘Billie Jean’, it’s her favourite … But Afanasyeva has other ideas, linking into the dance shapes she has seen in a video: ‘Thriller . Start with  Thriller . It begins with that image, right from the beginning when it starts.’    She shows us the dance. ‘I suggest taking a 1.5-minute or 1-minute segment of the dance directly.’ They promise to be in touch by email. ...

Andrei Rodionenko explains Russia's performance at Worlds - Lupitatranslates

Rodionenko with European Champion David Belyavski  Courtesy RGF/Elena Mikhailova This is the interview that many people on the internet have already commented on, regarding Andrei Rodionenko's alleged racism.  The original, Russian language version, appears on VTB Bank's website (VTB are sponsors of Russian gymnastics).  It takes cleverer people than me to decide what is racism, what is deliberately perjorative, and what is inferred in an interviewer's question.  For now, I will not comment on this, therefore, but I would ask you to read Lupita's translation carefully before you form your own opinion.   I am providing some links below which might help you to decide where you stand. Definition of racism Definition of sexism BBC Sport article by Matthew Syed : Is it wrong to note that 100m winners are always black?            Updated 24/10 CSKA Moscow: UEFA opens racist chants case         ...

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more