Skip to main content

Aliya Mustafina interview - 'I want to get back as soon as I can' - media link

An English language translation of a Moscow News interview with Olga Yemolina appears on the Russian Federation's website.

Aliya Mustafina is fantastically positive and herself suggests she may compete bars and possibly beam at the forthcoming World Championships. This may merely be good PR designed to keep people guessing. More likely, I think, is that Mustafina wants to achieve these goals - it's certainly good psychology for such a driven character.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simone and the others - results and reflections

In the end, it was as predicted : Simone and the others, with Simone's teammate, Alexandra Raisman, providing the back up.  I do not need to point out that, by definition, the Americans are scoring significantly higher marks than the rest of the field.  Congratulations to them! Aliya Mustafina finished in third place.  The 2012 bronze medalist led the competition after vault and uneven bars, but had a very nervous outing on beam that might have taken a less experienced gymnast out of the medals.  A bravura performance on floor brought Aliya back though to confirm her third place all around.  From her senior debut in 2010 to today, Mustafina has continuously set high standards of grace.    It is the first time since 2000 that a gymnast (Amanar) has medalled in the all around at two consecutive Olympics, and  if Aliya can medal on Saturday's uneven bars final, she will once again be Russia's biggest medal winner of the women's gymnastics.  Russ...

Viktoria Komova - apology

Viktoria wrote some hasty words last night in the heat of the moment.  We all have such times, when hurt feelings lead us to behave uncharacteristically.  It is not important what she said; it is important that Vika has reflected and wants us all to read this message which she published on VK.com this morning. "Dear friends! I want to apologize for my statements about American girls, about drugs, all my words were spoken on emotions. Of course I haven't any proof and didn't really mean it and so on... I am so sorry. I want to apologize for my character to all of you". Vika, we are still with you every step of the way.

Russia defend team silver medal in Rio

It was an emotional performance and an emotional reaction at the end - but Russia is now second in the world in both MAG and WAG! The team did well, exploiting its strengths on bars and vault, and holding its own on beam.  Seda Tutkhalyan really showed her maturity and mettle with an almost perfect showing on beam and a solid, if not faultless, display on floor.  Maria Paseka did her best ever Amanar vault.  Aliya Mustafina ... was Mustafina.  Taking her fifth Olympic medal here, she scored over 60 in the AA.   The best work did come from the 2012 veterans, although Seda on beam and Daria on bars do have that special mark of Russian innovation and skill.  Angelina Melnikova looked perhaps a little overwhelmed at times - though I personally love her emotion - but this was only her first Olympics and I am certain she will be back for more.  Should she have had her personal coach on the floor with her?  It might have given her more assurance.  I...

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more