Skip to main content

Interview with David Belyavski

Tokyo 2020 Olympic champion in team all-around David Belyavsky told RG about his love for artistic gymnastics, his attitude towards the Paris Olympics and his mood for the BRICS Games in Kazan.


❓How did you like the first day at the BRICS Games?

💬David Belyavsky: I immediately remember the 2013 Universiade, in which I took part (I won gold in the team, silver on the uneven bars and two bronzes - in the individual all-around and floor exercises - RG note). Kazan, the Universiade village, where we live - everything is great, you can feel the atmosphere of a sports festival. They greeted us very well - with dancing. It's a pity there was no chak-chak, I would have eaten it with pleasure.


❓And what about the regime, diet?

David Belyavsky: I never limit myself much, I don't hold back. Moreover, I don’t plan to eat a kilogram, I just want to try.


❓By the way, how did the test go?

💬David Belyavsky: The first training session went well. We came to the gym, warmed up. With new equipment, as it happens at international competitions, we had to work a little to get it in working order.


❓Russian gymnasts in neutral status decided not to go to the Olympics in Paris. Will you watch the tournament?

💬David Belyavsky: Yes, of course.


❓With what feeling? Regret?

💬David Belyavsky: You know, maybe at first there really was regret. But two years have passed. We live in these realities. Although I have had three Olympics, I stood on the podium everywhere. I am sure it is easier for me to judge than for young athletes.


❓And what is their attitude?

💬David Belyavskiy: The guys are training, trying to complicate their combinations, but still strive for international starts. For some, the BRICS Games are their first such tournament. For example, Daniil Marinov, who has already become the absolute champion of the country twice, beat absolute world champions Nagorny and Dalaloyan in the all-around.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Virtual tour of Lake Krugloye

Ksenia from Russia wrote to me as follows : 'I decided to write about a little update on this site .  Suddenly you do not know but you may be interested in "The virtual gym" where you can see the training center for gymnastics at the "Round Lake" A very interesting thing if you want to look into what's inside.' She is right - it is fascinating - with tours of both the men's and women's gyms, pictures of the coaches and gymnasts, and all the different areas, including a reception with displays of awards and the rehabilitation and recovery facilities.  Take some time to click on the arrows and try out all of the different features.  It is in Russian but the tools are reasonably intuitive and if you have a basic grasp of the Cyrillic alphabet you can make sense of the whole. Scrolling round the panorama makes me feel a little bit dizzy and also gives a slightly distorted perspective to some of the views, which I think is a characteristic...

Mustafina, Melnikova and Afanasyeva - Russia’s three divas train together to the tunes of Michael Jackson

M elnikova, Mustafina and Afanasyeva take creative control at Round Lake.     You can see the video on Angelina Melnikova’s YouTube channel. They are discussing a new floor routine for Angelina; she wants to dance to Michael Jackson. Afanasyeva, 2012 Olympic medalist and a world champion on the floor, has been a choreographer for the national team for a few years now.    She says, ‘Gel, first we need to understand the plan—what we’re actually doing.’ They discuss how many tumbles Angelina will perform, and where the tumbles will come in the routine.    Angelina says, she likes ‘Billie Jean’, it’s her favourite … But Afanasyeva has other ideas, linking into the dance shapes she has seen in a video: ‘Thriller . Start with  Thriller . It begins with that image, right from the beginning when it starts.’    She shows us the dance. ‘I suggest taking a 1.5-minute or 1-minute segment of the dance directly.’ They promise to be in touch by email. ...

Andrei Rodionenko explains Russia's performance at Worlds - Lupitatranslates

Rodionenko with European Champion David Belyavski  Courtesy RGF/Elena Mikhailova This is the interview that many people on the internet have already commented on, regarding Andrei Rodionenko's alleged racism.  The original, Russian language version, appears on VTB Bank's website (VTB are sponsors of Russian gymnastics).  It takes cleverer people than me to decide what is racism, what is deliberately perjorative, and what is inferred in an interviewer's question.  For now, I will not comment on this, therefore, but I would ask you to read Lupita's translation carefully before you form your own opinion.   I am providing some links below which might help you to decide where you stand. Definition of racism Definition of sexism BBC Sport article by Matthew Syed : Is it wrong to note that 100m winners are always black?            Updated 24/10 CSKA Moscow: UEFA opens racist chants case         ...

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more