Skip to main content

Daniel Marinov interview, Tatar-inform.ru

Google translate, unedited but full of interest!


Daniel Marinov: "Not to participate in the Olympics under a neutral flag is the federation's decision"

Two-time Russian champion in artistic gymnastics Daniil Marinov is one of the most talented gymnasts in the country. The 19-year-old athlete will take part in the BRICS Games in Kazan.


In an interview with TI-Sport, Daniel shared his opinion on international competitions, talked about plans to participate in the Olympics, his attitude to doping and much more. 


"The BRICS Games are a landmark event not only for Tatarstan, but for all of Russia"

Daniel, you are participating in the BRICS Games, and this will be your first experience of competing at the international level. Tell us about your feelings...

I am looking forward to these competitions. This is a very landmark event not only for Tatarstan, but for all of Russia. However, the composition and the final number of participants are still unknown. I really hope that most of the countries that have applied will come. I want to immerse myself in the atmosphere of international competitions as soon as possible.

How is the preparation of the national artistic gymnastics team going?

At the moment, our team is at the sports base of Lake Krugloe in Moscow. We train here throughout the year, as well as before each competition. Our base has all the conditions for training: the best exercise machines in Russia, excellent food, and top-notch medicine. As a rule, we are here for three weeks out of the month, and for the remaining seven days we go home and train at home.

How many guys will represent the Russian national team at the BRICS Games?

According to preliminary data, six people, but these will not be team performances, as is usually the case at international tournaments, but individual ones. All because of the political situation in the world. Many countries have even withdrawn their applications, as they are afraid that their license may be revoked before the upcoming Olympic Games. Therefore, the list of participants, conditionally, changes every day.


“This is a very significant event not only on the scale of Tatarstan, but also of all of Russia”

Photo: minsport.tatarstan.ru

Is it known which of the titled athletes will most likely perform at the Games?

The participation of Olympic champions Nikita Nagorny, David Belyavsky, Artur Dalaloyan, as well as world champion Vladislav Polyashov, is not excluded. But everything depends on how strong the competitors are who come from abroad.


The day before, the senior coach of artistic gymnastics of Russia Valentina Rodionenko said that participation in the Games of Olympic champions is still in question, but you need it. Doesn't it offend you?

It doesn't offend me at all. I don't have any experience of performing at the international level yet. So I'm just glad that I'm being nominated for these competitions as a candidate.

When is your delegation scheduled to arrive in the capital of Tatarstan?

The official date of the team's arrival in Kazan is June 11. For the duration of the international competitions, we are to be accommodated in the Universiade Village. On the first day, we will try out the apparatus, this is necessary before the competition. Then we will begin preparing for the performances. We will work on the program. The training will not be as high-intensity, there will be work in a medium mode to maintain tone. And the competitions themselves will be held in the Gymnastics Center.


"I believe and hope that everything will get better soon and there will be an opportunity to represent myself at the international level as part of Russia"

Photo: minsport.tatarstan.ru

"I don't have much desire to compete for another country"

It is known that you were born in Bulgaria, but live in Russia and you have dual citizenship. However, you have repeatedly said that you want to compete only for Russia at international competitions. What if the sanctions are extended?

I am often asked about this. I will say this - I am not used to looking so far ahead. For now, everything is fine with me and I don't have much desire to compete for another country. I believe and hope that everything will get better soon and there will be an opportunity to represent myself at the international level as part of Russia.

Will you follow the Olympic Games, which will start at the end of July in Paris?

This year, I will be following these competitions especially closely, because they will be held without the participation of Russians. It will be interesting to compare our levels and imagine how we could perform at these competitions.

None of the Russian gymnasts applied to participate in the 2024 Olympics?

It was our federation's decision not to participate under a neutral flag. It's a pity, of course, that we were suspended from the competition and it was not of our own free will.

I can't help but touch on the doping story. Why do you think some athletes, knowing what the consequences may be, still resort to using banned drugs?

I don't understand why they do it. First of all, it is at least irresponsible on their part, because they can take a sample at any moment. I am against doping and personally would not do such things. I think it is unfair to those athletes who "handle" the loads at the expense of their abilities.

In January, a French foil fencer failed a doping test. But later she justified herself, saying that the banned drug got into her body through a relationship with a partner. If we compare this with the situation with Kamila Valieva, would everything be different?

To be honest, this is the first time I’ve heard about the situation with the Frenchwoman. But I think it wouldn’t work in the case of a Russian athlete. There are probably situations in which a prohibited substance can accidentally enter the body. And it’s good that in such cases there are various appeal measures. But I believe that an athlete always bears full responsibility for what he or she takes into his or her body. As for the situation with Kamila Valieva, I didn’t go into details, since there were many different versions and I still don’t know which one is true.


“My entire family and close friends will be rooting for me at the BRICS Games in Kazan”

Photo: courtesy of Daniil Marinov

“During the awards ceremony at the Russian Championships in Kazan, Nikita Nagorny shouted “losers” at us

Who is supporting you at the competition?

My entire family and close friends will be rooting for me at the BRICS Games in Kazan. I also have a girlfriend, Olya, who is also a professional gymnast. For example, at the Sirius in Sochi at the 2024 Russian Championship final, we performed together on different days and supported each other.

Does your sports career interfere with your relationship?

Not at all, quite the opposite. In fact, Olya is even more of an athlete than I am. She constantly gives advice on nutrition and the importance of maintaining a regimen. However, she is already ending her career because she decided to devote more time to her studies.

Do you keep in touch with any of the titled gymnasts?

I communicate very well with Nikita Nagorny. This is a person who has done a lot of work on himself. He often gives me very correct and necessary recommendations not only regarding sports, but also content management on social networks.

And what about rivalry?

We are one sports team. For us, for the younger generation, the advice of our older comrades can be very useful. Perhaps their tips will help us avoid some mistakes in the future and thereby raise artistic gymnastics to a new level in the country.


Were there any funny incidents during the competition?

In 2023, a funny situation happened at the Russian Championships in Kazan. During the awards ceremony, Nikita Nagorny jokingly shouted at Sergei Nadin, who was third on the podium after him, “loser”. All three of us laughed about it. Then, during the press approach, one of the journalists, after he had already turned off the recorder, asked about it. We explained that it was a joke and there was nothing offensive or hurtful about it.

A few days later, we learned that this joke was written about in the press. Then comments appeared on social networks that Nikita was mocking our generation and the like. He even made us a public apology on social networks, of course, this was also in a humorous form. In general, there was a small resonance. After which we thought that this has its advantages and such cases increase public interest in artistic gymnastics. For example, various controversial situations also periodically arise around figure skating, and this makes the sport more popular.


“This year, when I became a two-time national champion, I was awarded one of the most prestigious awards – “Sportsman of the Year”. Of course, I am very pleased”

Photo: © Vladimir Vasiliev / “Tatar-inform”

“I don’t see myself in coaching. After finishing my sports career, I would rather participate in social and sports activities”

It is known that you are going to go to college. Where and in what specialty?

I decided to enroll in the coaching specialty at the Volga Region State University of Physical Education, Sports and Tourism according to the standard. However, I don’t see myself in coaching yet. After finishing my sports career, I would rather participate in social and sports activities as a delegate of events and popularize artistic gymnastics.

By the way, you were awarded two years in a row at the ceremony of summing up the sports results of the republic within the walls of the Volga Region University. This year, you were presented with the award by Rais RT Rustam Minnikhanov. The ceremony was also attended by Sports Minister Vladimir Leonov and Olympic champion Alexey Nemov. Did you manage to talk to them?

Last year, after my first victory at the Russian Championship, I was awarded in the category "Discovery of the Year". This year, when I became a two-time national champion, I was awarded one of the most prestigious awards - "Sportsman of the Year". Of course, I am very pleased. Unfortunately, we did not have time to talk to Rustam Nurgalievich Minnikhanov after the event, but our team was at a reception at the Rais of the Republic after winning the Spartakiad of the Strongest. On the same day, we managed to talk longer with Vladimir Aleksandrovich Leonov. He talked a lot about other sports - it is interesting. Alexey Yuryevich Nemov is my childhood idol, and we are in touch with him most often. By the way, he recently had a birthday, of course, I congratulated him on this event. In addition, I participated in his theatrical sports show "Legends of Sports" several times. How often do you get to participate in such events?

If I am not mistaken, I took part in Alexey Nemov's project four times. I also had the experience of performing in Svetlana Khorkina's "Duel" show. I believe that such events are very important on the scale of our country. They contribute to the popularization of artistic gymnastics and allow ordinary people to get to know the beauty of our sport better.


In which country, in your opinion, is the level of artistic gymnastics still at its highest?

These countries have always been considered Japan, China and Russia. For many years, we competed with each other, and other countries looked up to us.


“I think the guys now have slightly different goals and motivations. They have already competed at the international level, so there is less incentive at the local competition level.”

Photo: © Maxim Bogodvid / RIA Novosti

“I have worn a cast 12 times in my sports career.”

How did you manage to beat even Olympic champions Nikita Nagorny and Artur Dalaloyan at the last two Russian championships?

I think the guys now have slightly different goals and motivations. They have already competed at the international level, so there is less incentive at the local competition level. Unlike us, younger athletes, who have a great desire to prove themselves and their skills.

When it comes to success, we cannot help but mention the coaches who have made a big contribution to this. Tell us more about who led you from children's sports to adult sports.

My very first children's coach was Gilyazetdinova Albina Faridovna. She specializes in training with the youngest gymnasts. When the time came, she handed me over to a mentor who works with older gymnasts - Maria Borisovna Sintsova. My youth years were spent under her supervision. After that, I moved on to Kurmangalin Radik Batyrshaevich, who is also her husband. Radik Batyrshaevich still oversees my training process. At the same time, Maria Borisovna is like a second mother. She always supports me during competitions and finds the right words.

Were you different from your peers in any way?

As a child, I was a boisterous child, often played pranks and stood out from the rest with my energy. Due to my agility and coordination, I was able to perform quite complex elements. At that time, of course, I did not have any technique or cleanliness in performing exercises.

What are your strengths and weaknesses?

Since childhood, my weakness has been the pommel horse. I manage to get normal marks on this apparatus due to the cleanliness of my performance. One of my strengths in the all-around is the horizontal bar. Initially, this apparatus did not particularly appeal to me, but later it became my favorite.

Do gymnasts have a period of off-season or a break for rest?

We have a vacation once a year. During this time, we have recovery camps. In recent years, our team has been traveling to Abu Dhabi. The training is not as intense as during preparation for competitions. We devote this period to learning new elements.


“Of my active hobbies, last winter I mastered snowboarding”

Photo: courtesy of Daniil Marinov

How do you like to spend your free time?

I manage social networks. I have my own YouTube channel dedicated to artistic gymnastics. I also try to devote time to reading books and learning English. I really love walking. Among my active hobbies, I learned to snowboard last winter.

Have you had any serious injuries during your sports career?

I once decided to count how many times I broke my fingers and wore plaster casts. It was exactly 12 times. Another common problem among gymnasts is the back. I have also twisted my ankles many times. At the moment, my shoulder hurts. So I am only starting to train exercises on the rings now, a week before the start, to prepare for the all-around. There was talk of surgery, but due to the tight competition schedule, I had to give it up for now. I maintain my condition through injections and restorative physiotherapy. 





More details: https://www.tatar-inform.ru/news/daniel-marinov-ne-ucastvovat-v-olimpiade-pod-neitralnym-flagom-resenie-federacii-5948925

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fact or fiction? The press, gymnastics and pregnancy doping

It was a Sunday morning.  I was drinking my coffee and contemplating the day ahead - a workout at the gym, shopping for groceries, an evening reading a book, or catching up on last night's episodes of crime thriller The Bridge .  How nice it was not to have to think about work for a day. Then I saw it - a story about the history of doping in The Observer .  Interesting reading. Of course, cheating is as old as the hills.  It is, unfortunately, human nature for some people to try to gain easy advantage in any kind of competition.  That is why we have laws, rules, ethical guidelines.  People who cheat should face justice and shouldn't complain when they are found out. But the story about pregnancy doping bothered me.  Hadn't that been found to be fictional?  The author began with Olga Kovalenko's allegations made in 1994 - but the rumours had started way back in 1991 with the documentary series More Than A Game .  The practice of pregnancy doping was dis

‘Biles turned gymnastics upside down’ - interview with Angelina Melnikova

Interview by Norik Serobyan, Sports Correspondent,    Metaratings “Foreign gymnasts write that they miss us and are waiting for us.” Melnikova - about Spartak, Olympic Games 2024 and plans Two years ago, Angelina Melnikova became one of the main stars of the Russian team at the Tokyo Olympics, where Russian gymnasts won gold. Now the leader of the Russian team competes only at domestic competitions. In an interview with Metaratings.ru, the world and Olympic champion told what she does outside of sports. From our conversation you will learn: how high is the level of competition in Russia; what is her motivation to perform without international competitions; when is he planning to retire? what he thinks about participating in the Olympics; why does he support Spartak? “In Russia the level of competition is low, there are two or three athletes who fight for the podium, this is very few” – More than a month has already passed since the Russian Cup. You probably managed to analyze your perf

Interview with Artur Dalaloyan

 Artur Dalaloyan on the competition in the national team, performing at the BRICS Games and the desire to rest ❓After performing in the all-around, Nikita Nagorny admitted that he did not devote much time to training before the BRICS Games. Accordingly, his physical fitness left much to be desired. What can you say about yourself in this regard? - I can say with absolute certainty that performing in the all-around requires 100% preparation and, accordingly, a large training volume. I did this volume, so I calmly went out on the platform, realizing that I was capable of completing the all-around. ❓Didn't you lose heart when it became known that the Friendship Games might be postponed until next year? - Of course, we expected that the Friendship Games would take place on time. They, like the BRICS Games, were quite a big additional incentive: after all, they are international competitions. Therefore, I tried to work in such a way as not to lower the level of the all-around. ❓Do you s

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more