Skip to main content

MAG AA summary results


Such a good final - just so special, so many amazing routines.  David didn't medal this time but I think with time and hindsight he and we should be proud of his achievement.  4th is the hardest position, but he has apparatus finals to come and, beyond that, plenty more energy in him for more competitions.

Congratulations to all who competed, I have never seen such a close final before.  Special congratulations to the medalists, including my compatriot Max who won GB's first AA medal for over a century.  And love to the Russian team, especially David and Kolya, who worked so hard today and in training to prepare to give such an extraordinary fight.

Comments

  1. I feel bad for David but so much respect for the medalists! Congrats! They all worked so hard to show us what they have got. Such close fights between positions 1 and 2, and 3 and 4.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt bad for David too but he gave it his all on high bar and made the race for bronze exciting. Salut!!

      Delete
  2. Oleg was so close to a major upset..

    Congrats to all.

    Todd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whitlock was overscored on rings. 6.0 start value and 8.733 execution score with a big step in the landing. Compare that to Kohei 6.2 start value, stuck landing and 8.533 execution score. Even the NBC's commentators felt whitlock's rings was at best 14.2 but oh well :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. from the balancebeamsituation:
      Max Withlock on Rings - He actually does some of the best rings I’ve seen from him – very smooth holding those handstands – double double step back. 14.733. Horton tells us it will be a 14.1-14.2. Uh oh.

      Delete
    2. oh excuse me Kohei didn't stick that landing, he had a tiny hop and a tiny step which could add up to Max 1 step

      Delete
  4. I couldn't watch the whole thing, I fell asleep somewhere between 2nd and 3rd rotation but I witnessed Nikolai getting stuck on a flare and falling off pommels, that was sad
    I heard Oleg Vernaiev had higher overall difficulty than Kohei, I wonder what Belyavskiy total difficulty was, he's a technician with great execution everywhere but only recently started making event finals,

    MAG is tricky because for example the best on rings are hardly ever all-arounders, in fact the best on rings are specialists like Arthur Zanetti and Eleftherios Petrounias, or some like Samir Ait Said, Radivilov and Ablyazin are also strong vaulters, well Denis is also a star on floor ...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Simone and the others - results and reflections

In the end, it was as predicted : Simone and the others, with Simone's teammate, Alexandra Raisman, providing the back up.  I do not need to point out that, by definition, the Americans are scoring significantly higher marks than the rest of the field.  Congratulations to them! Aliya Mustafina finished in third place.  The 2012 bronze medalist led the competition after vault and uneven bars, but had a very nervous outing on beam that might have taken a less experienced gymnast out of the medals.  A bravura performance on floor brought Aliya back though to confirm her third place all around.  From her senior debut in 2010 to today, Mustafina has continuously set high standards of grace.    It is the first time since 2000 that a gymnast (Amanar) has medalled in the all around at two consecutive Olympics, and  if Aliya can medal on Saturday's uneven bars final, she will once again be Russia's biggest medal winner of the women's gymnastics.  Russ...

Viktoria Komova - apology

Viktoria wrote some hasty words last night in the heat of the moment.  We all have such times, when hurt feelings lead us to behave uncharacteristically.  It is not important what she said; it is important that Vika has reflected and wants us all to read this message which she published on VK.com this morning. "Dear friends! I want to apologize for my statements about American girls, about drugs, all my words were spoken on emotions. Of course I haven't any proof and didn't really mean it and so on... I am so sorry. I want to apologize for my character to all of you". Vika, we are still with you every step of the way.

Russia defend team silver medal in Rio

It was an emotional performance and an emotional reaction at the end - but Russia is now second in the world in both MAG and WAG! The team did well, exploiting its strengths on bars and vault, and holding its own on beam.  Seda Tutkhalyan really showed her maturity and mettle with an almost perfect showing on beam and a solid, if not faultless, display on floor.  Maria Paseka did her best ever Amanar vault.  Aliya Mustafina ... was Mustafina.  Taking her fifth Olympic medal here, she scored over 60 in the AA.   The best work did come from the 2012 veterans, although Seda on beam and Daria on bars do have that special mark of Russian innovation and skill.  Angelina Melnikova looked perhaps a little overwhelmed at times - though I personally love her emotion - but this was only her first Olympics and I am certain she will be back for more.  Should she have had her personal coach on the floor with her?  It might have given her more assurance.  I...

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more