Skip to main content

'They call me crazy for thinking of 2020' - Ksenia Afanasyeva

Ksenia Afanasyeva was a supportive team captain at the European Championships.  Picture courtesy of RSport on Instagram
Ksenia Afanasyeva, once the baby of the 2008 Olympics team, is preparing for her third Olympic Games.  The shy, intense teenager has become an accomplished, humourous and supportive team captain.  Sergei Smyshlyaev of R Sport took some time to catch up with Ksenia after her successful European Championships, in which she won a team gold medal, and an individual bronze on the vault.  Sections of the interview are paraphrased.

- The main question that everyone is interested in: how is your foot?

- In general, I am feeling quite well, but my foot, of course, hurts badly.

- Don't you like being the heroine of the tournament, to an extent?  Even with an injury, through the pain, you still helped the team take the gold.  Even after qualifying the coaches celebrated your grit.

- To be honest, I do not feel like a heroine. Even though there is discomfort, I feel somehow ashamed of only being able to do one apparatus, that I cannot help on my main piece, the floor exercise.

The interviewer goes on to say that he felt that the British gymnast (Ellie Downie) had been a little underscored, and Ksenia points out that the Swiss gymnast's (Giulia Steingrueber) second vault had mistakes, but a higher D value, so her win was well deserved.  

She wanted to 'go for broke' but - 'I sat down and thought.  First, the format of these competitions is a little uncomfortable - you finish the team finals one evening, then in the morning have to do event finals.  Therefore, there is no break to relax or practice.  ... Usually, I compete, then there is time to prepare my vault.  I really wanted to take the risk, but I had to think ... even with the Amanar, I would have taken second place, not the third; and I would have made my leg worse ...'

- Ahead of the Olympics, how are your spirits? Is there hope that you might heal the injury completely and reach peak form in Rio de Janeiro, to be able to perform there on the floor?

- I can not say anything ... I had originally come to Bern to perform on three apparatus.  You understand that our sport is so unpredictable, so you don't want to say anything.

- You are in the mood!

- Of course, after so many years! I do not want to retire two months before the Olympics. I will make every effort to reach the Games.

- The Russians took the gold in the team competition at Europeans for the first time in many years.  Is this medal psychologically important at the moment?

- To be honest, I'm tired, and the many emotions of Saturday have passed ... Winning is always nice, no matter what the competition, and there is always a lot of emotion.

- In Berne I heard from the athletes and coaches from the former CIS [Commonwealth of Independent States] countries, many people have real problems in equipping and financing. We do not have the same?

- In Russia, everything is perfect.  The equipment is at the highest level, thanks to everyone who helps us with it, including the sponsors.

- So the support of the general sponsor, VTB Bank, matters?

- Of course, it does. Moreover, when gymnasts from other countries come to visit they all admire our gym. They even say that we have one of the best gyms in the world.

- I'm interested in your opinion, as one of the leaders of the team, of the young girls, especially Angelina Melnikova, who first entered the senior competition here.

- She did well. Angelina to me, in general, is very pretty, and she is very good girl - outside the gym, and in the gym. God bless her that everything turns out, and I'll be rooting for her.

- How, in your opinion, could Seda Tutkhalyan cope with the psychology of her balance beam exercise? 

- Not all children are so talented that everything always turns out perfectly. [As a child my results did not always turn out, I needed experience to reach my potential ... I was 18 years before my victories began]. Maybe Seda is in the same situation. Maybe she is just still young, and lacks a little something that comes with experience.

The reporter asks whether the various non-sports discussions circulating - Zika and doping - have affected morale 

- With regard to doping - I know that I do not take anything ... But Zika virus is a bit worrying! ... I hope that everything will be all right.

- What immediate plans do you have for the Russia Cup?

- To heal my leg as quickly as possible. Of course, I will not be able to heal completely, but I would like at least to improve its condition. Because, unfortunately, at the moment I can not help the team. It's a shame to me, I cried during the first days ...

- Will you be watching the European Football Championships, which kick off this week?

- I would rather not answer this question ... (Laughs) At one time I was interested in football, but then somehow I lost interest in our players - sorry. 

- On uneven bars you helped Aliya to prepare the apparatus, and did so with such zeal and professionalism. Maybe in the future you still think about a coaching career?

- Actually, I always tell everyone, I do not want to be a coach. I have always said so. I have other plans, which have always been veterinary medicine, which to me is all very interesting. But I do not rule out that I will try out as a coach. To be honest, I just do not know if I can. That's what I'm afraid of. I'm afraid to be a good gymnast and a terrible coach (laughs)! And they will all say, "I wish she was still a gymnast, and didn't coach!"

- I think that with a personality like yours it would work.

- I do not know ... I'm afraid that it will not work and would spoil the life of the child.  In any direction in my life I always think about it a lot, I analyze all sides. I do not rule out that I will be a coach.

- Do you rule out a trip to the Olympic Games in Tokyo?

- Recently I told my coach, my mother, my boyfriend, that probably I will take a break after Rio, and then may be back for the next Games. They told me that I'm crazy (laughs). I would love it, but at the moment my spirits are drooping a little.  I'm more worried about how I will have enough for the next three months.

Read another interview with Ksenia, dating from the 2012 Olympics - 'We are strong and beautiful' - http://rewritingrussiangymnastics.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/ksenia-afanasyeva-we-are-strong-and.html

Comments

  1. I think Ksenia was very wise on her words about Seda. I'd love to see her grow and succeed in the next quad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alya was also very positive. Valentina should learn from the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From the bottom of my heart I want to see these girls stay after rio, especially Afa, aliya and vika. They have left so many great memories and beautiful routines. Just watch them, medal or not, would be fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With just 8 weeks until Rio it is very unfortunate that Ksenia is faced with this injury. Hopefully she can pull it together as she is capable of an individual medal on floor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very mature interview from Ksenia, I thought. She is obviously aware of the pressures on the Russian team, but was reflective enough to make intelligent, considered decisions about her performance at Euros. I very much like what she said about Seda as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. NOOOOOOOOOO , it seems like Vika just announced her retirement :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

UPDATE 23/9 - Russian WAG team for Nanning confirmed

Daria Spiridonova will compete at her first World Championships this autumn.  Picture : RGF Natalia Kalugina has confirmed the Russian team for Nanning : Aliya Mustafina, Maria Kharenkova, Tatiana Nabieva,Ekaterina Kramarenko, Alla Sosnitskaya, Daria Spiridonova.  Reserve : Polina Fyodorova Here is a paraphrased translation of a comment by Natalia Kalugina on her Facebook page : 'Aliya has confidence in competition and she is, kind of, a coach to this team.  In Europe she succeeded in this role and she has told the coaches that she even liked it. The main fighting force will be Kharenkova, Sosnitskaya and Spiridonova.  Accordingly, the strongest apparatus will be beam (Marina Bulashenko With God!).  The Chinese women, of course, have been known to win that apparatus, but if one falls, they all fall.   Alla Sosnitskaya could compete in the vault final, and - in theory - on the floor. On bars, of course, Russia will probably lose to the Chinese women, but they should be able to hold

Kapitanova or Tutkhalyan? The ever changing seas of Russian gymnastics

Tutkhalyan and Melnikova - gymnastics dynamite and Russia's not so secret weapon for the Rio Olympics Just as I was about to go to bed last night one of our readers posted a link to a Tass article in which Valentina Rodionenko repeats the team membership for Europeans, but with a significant change, replacing Seda Tutkhalyan with Natalia Kapitanova as a reserve.  This Allsport article , linked on the RGF website this morning, still includes Seda as reserve.  I give up; there is never a final word.  Team selections are a difficult thing and especially so with injury rates in the sport as high as they are.  Media reports are unreliable.  Or Valentina changes her mind as often as she changes her fur coats.  Only one thing is for sure.  We will know who will compete when the teams walk out into the arena on Wednesday 1st June.  Maybe. Aside from the obvious observation - how must it affect the girls to be so unsure? - I'm going to repeat again how disappointed I am with this

Who really won the WAG All Around?

You will find a link to the FIG's newly published book of results at the Olympic Games here .  This year, they have broken down the judge's execution scores so you can see exactly how each judge evaluated the gymnasts' performances.  It makes for interesting reading - if only I had more time to analyse each judge's marking.  A skim reading already highlights multiple inconsistencies in individual judges' marks and makes you wonder why they bother with the jury at all. I have taken the time to look at the reference judges' scores for the top four in the women's all around.  The FIG explains here what their role is, and how they are selected.  I even used my calculator, which is a risky thing in my hands.  My, how I wish we could have seen a similar document for the Tokyo World Championships. I wonder if anyone can explain how, if the FIG's Code of Points is so objective and fair, it is possible to come up with two different results using two differ

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more