Skip to main content

Congratulations, Russia!

Another gold medal for Russia's team in artistic gymnastics at the European Championships.  Russia now rules the sport in Europe, both men and women.  15 year old Angelina Melnikova scored the highest of all competitors across four apparatus; exactly as her team captain, Aliya Mustafina, did six years ago in her own major senior competitive debut.

Aliya waved her magic wand here and somehow helped the team to summon up courage to fight the effervescent British team.  Angelina was a strong start off gymnast on every piece, just what the team needs to settle them.  In her own quiet way, 'Gelya' makes as much difference to this team's fighting spirit as Nikita Nagorny does to the men.  

In the end, the working order put paid to a close fight.  Under pressure, Britain showed uncharacteristic errors and finished more than six points behind Russia.  EF tomorrow will tell a different story, I suspect.  Russia's victory was down to solid teamwork as much as individual brilliance.  Strong work on bars and beam gave the girls a cushion on the other apparatus, where there is less of a margin.  It should be noted, however, that the girls are landing their tumbles with far more confidence - this could be to do with the appointment of Sergei Zelikson as tumbling coach at the national training centre.

Congratulations to all the girls - and good luck now, as you prepare for Rio!





Comments

  1. Melnikova upped her AA score by full point, she scored more than she did in Qual. in all apparatus except VT where she repeated her qual. score, she is gaining experience and confidence rapidly, and she has put her name on the quad list for Rio.
    I'm looking for the dual fight between Melnikova and Alyia on UB and BB final tomorrow
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Who really won the WAG All Around?

You will find a link to the FIG's newly published book of results at the Olympic Games here .  This year, they have broken down the judge's execution scores so you can see exactly how each judge evaluated the gymnasts' performances.  It makes for interesting reading - if only I had more time to analyse each judge's marking.  A skim reading already highlights multiple inconsistencies in individual judges' marks and makes you wonder why they bother with the jury at all. I have taken the time to look at the reference judges' scores for the top four in the women's all around.  The FIG explains here what their role is, and how they are selected.  I even used my calculator, which is a risky thing in my hands.  My, how I wish we could have seen a similar document for the Tokyo World Championships. I wonder if anyone can explain how, if the FIG's Code of Points is so objective and fair, it is possible to come up with two different results using two differ...

Viktoria Komova - back pain has forced me to step down

I awoke this morning to a very simple statement from Viktoria Komova, on her vk.com site, which Papa Liukin has translated (via the IG forum): 'Dear friends, fans, and gymnastics lovers. Unfortunately back pain isn't allowing me to train to my full potential and get ready for competitions. I've made the very difficult decision to stop training and take care of my health. I want to thank everyone for their support! Without your love and warmth it would've been more difficult to go all the way. Thanks everyone and see you soon! Love and kisses.' Well, first of all, good wishes and best of luck to Viktoria, who has struggled since 2012 to re-establish herself fully as a competitive gymnast, whose talent was so great that she secured gold on bars at two different World Championships, four years apart, whose career was littered with controversy, who must be allowed to live her life as she wishes.   I know that the 'gymternet' will now be overflowing...

Aliya Mustafina - 'each medal is very special'

'I'm very happy that everything turned out well today  ... Each medal is very special.  The UK team made mistakes, so there was a wide margin [of victory]... But naturally, [what I did] is not enough for the Olympics.  I prepared well for beam and bars but I am not ready for floor, I stepped up to help the team. ... To be honest, I did not look at the scores [when asked how the team reacted to the 6.5 gap before the final apparatus].  Gelya (Melnikova) is a good girl, she did everything and did not falter ... Seda fell on quite a complex element.  There is more work to do, but everything else went well.' [About a protest taken by the coaches on her beam score]. 'I am used to my protests being rejected, everything is normal!' Via vk.com I n other news , the UEG has confirmed that Spiridonova will replace Melnikova in tomorrow's bars final. No reason is given, but it is generally considered that Dasha has a better chance of gold.  This decision also means tha...

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more