Skip to main content

Mustafina: I like to help the team


Olympic champion in the 2012 Games in London Aliya Mustafina Russian woman shared her impressions of the team competition at the World Championships Gymnastics in Nanning (China), in which the Russian team won the bronze medal.

"We were frightened of repeating the guys' result of yesterday.  We tried to imagine that there were no marks and results, just to finish our job, to complete our performances beautifully. ... Competition is always very exciting and scary. But today I tried to do everything with confidence ... But competing a whole-around for the second time at this World Championships, I can tell you one thing: I'm tired. Well, there is a day to recover.

I was afraid that the team may be frightened, and may waver. So I tried to help them. Dasha Spiridinova and Masha Kharenkova told me that they really like it when I talk to them during the execution of the exercises. If I am asked for help, I certainly like to help.'

Source : http://www.championat.com/other/news-1948575-mustafina-v-komandnykh-sorevnovanijakh-na-chm-staralas-vsjo-delat-uverennee.html


Comments

  1. I am so proud of Mustafina; she did a great job for the team. The team as a whole did better than expected. There were some mistakes, but no disaster today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to the Russian women. They fought to the end. Molodyets!!

    I find it interesting how Russia treats its new seniors compared to how the US treats its new seniors. Russian coaches and gymnasts tend to speak of the new girls as if they are fragile flowers in danger of wilting. In comparison, the US expects steeliness and resilience. Aside from Simone and Kyla, the US team is very inexperienced. However, no one makes any excuses for them due to their youth and inexperience. They are held to the highest standards, just as the veterans are.

    I wonder if Russia is doing its (very talented) new seniors any favors by constantly mentioning their inexperience and youth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The US has much more depth. It's similar to how the Soviet teams were when new seniors started competing. Just by making it on the team, the athletes had already proven their competitive mettle. The strong survived. Russia does not have the depth that the US currently does, so they need to work with the athletes that they have who are capable of performing the level of difficulty necessary for international elite competitions. These athletes may or may not be strong competitors. For the athletes who aren't a natural born competitor like Mustafina (because I don't remember anyone making excuses for her lack of experience her first year as a senior!), they require some nurturing and seasoning. They need to learn to compete as seniors and can't be counted on for results until they have gained that experience and know-how.

      Delete
    2. We have to take in considerations the difference between being too overprotecting and just being maternal. Mustafina is looked as a motherly figure by the younger girls and the veterans have a long connection between them. I some times see them as sisters looking up for each other. The coaches in the other hand I think they don't have much of choice because of what TrishaG said.

      Delete
  3. I haven't gotten a chance to see it as yet. However, I am happy they got the bronze medal. The guys of course were disappointing at another major event, they need to work on it.

    Congrats to the girls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hearing that she is tired when she pretty much has to compete all around 2x more (4 events in AA and 3 events in EF) makes me feel worried.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Virtual tour of Lake Krugloye

Ksenia from Russia wrote to me as follows : 'I decided to write about a little update on this site .  Suddenly you do not know but you may be interested in "The virtual gym" where you can see the training center for gymnastics at the "Round Lake" A very interesting thing if you want to look into what's inside.' She is right - it is fascinating - with tours of both the men's and women's gyms, pictures of the coaches and gymnasts, and all the different areas, including a reception with displays of awards and the rehabilitation and recovery facilities.  Take some time to click on the arrows and try out all of the different features.  It is in Russian but the tools are reasonably intuitive and if you have a basic grasp of the Cyrillic alphabet you can make sense of the whole. Scrolling round the panorama makes me feel a little bit dizzy and also gives a slightly distorted perspective to some of the views, which I think is a characteristic...

Mustafina, Melnikova and Afanasyeva - Russia’s three divas train together to the tunes of Michael Jackson

M elnikova, Mustafina and Afanasyeva take creative control at Round Lake.     You can see the video on Angelina Melnikova’s YouTube channel. They are discussing a new floor routine for Angelina; she wants to dance to Michael Jackson. Afanasyeva, 2012 Olympic medalist and a world champion on the floor, has been a choreographer for the national team for a few years now.    She says, ‘Gel, first we need to understand the plan—what we’re actually doing.’ They discuss how many tumbles Angelina will perform, and where the tumbles will come in the routine.    Angelina says, she likes ‘Billie Jean’, it’s her favourite … But Afanasyeva has other ideas, linking into the dance shapes she has seen in a video: ‘Thriller . Start with  Thriller . It begins with that image, right from the beginning when it starts.’    She shows us the dance. ‘I suggest taking a 1.5-minute or 1-minute segment of the dance directly.’ They promise to be in touch by email. ...

Andrei Rodionenko explains Russia's performance at Worlds - Lupitatranslates

Rodionenko with European Champion David Belyavski  Courtesy RGF/Elena Mikhailova This is the interview that many people on the internet have already commented on, regarding Andrei Rodionenko's alleged racism.  The original, Russian language version, appears on VTB Bank's website (VTB are sponsors of Russian gymnastics).  It takes cleverer people than me to decide what is racism, what is deliberately perjorative, and what is inferred in an interviewer's question.  For now, I will not comment on this, therefore, but I would ask you to read Lupita's translation carefully before you form your own opinion.   I am providing some links below which might help you to decide where you stand. Definition of racism Definition of sexism BBC Sport article by Matthew Syed : Is it wrong to note that 100m winners are always black?            Updated 24/10 CSKA Moscow: UEFA opens racist chants case         ...

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more