Skip to main content

Russia announces teams for Universiade

Tatiana Nabieva will compete on vault and bars

Russian teams for the Universiade (gymnastics competitions take place 7th to 10th July) have been announced. Team format is 5-4-3 :

MAG : David Belyavski, Nikolai Kuksenkov, Denis Ablyazin, Emin Garibov, Mattei Petrov. Substitute - Nikita Ignatiev.

Women: Aliya Mustafina, Ksenia Afanasyeva, Tatiana Nabieva, Anna Dementieva, Maria Paseka

Kuksenkov has only just gained eligibility to compete for Russia and this will be his first international appearance for his new team.


Mustafina and Afanasyeva will compete all around. Nabieva has recovered from her injury and regained form and will be able to contribute on bars and vault, although she does not at present have a second vault.  If they want to win a medal on vault, they will have to take Maria Paseka. 

There is an interview with Valentina Rodionenko about the selection here.  It is clear that there is still some final decision making left to do before the teams travel to Kazan.

With thanks to Lifje for providing the information and link.

Comments

  1. I wonder whose decision it was for Aliya to compete all four events...Hers, coaches, Rodionenkos...After seeing her clearly not 100% at Euros, I wonder if this is the best move. I feel like she barely had a chance to comeback fully after her last injury, and now they are back to working her into the ground...Fingers crossed she has an injury free rest of her career!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In all interviews, I've seen, Aliya showed here great interest in competing in Kazan.

      Delete
    2. Yea I don't doubt that. It is the biggest competition for Russia, I know id wanna compete no matter what. But is it the best decision for her? I mean who knows, she could be fully recovered from euros...hopefully!

      Delete
  2. Rodionenko still insists, that Xenia will show her Amanar in Kazan. That should be very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excited to see Anna Dementyeva on the roster

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Virtual tour of Lake Krugloye

Ksenia from Russia wrote to me as follows : 'I decided to write about a little update on this site .  Suddenly you do not know but you may be interested in "The virtual gym" where you can see the training center for gymnastics at the "Round Lake" A very interesting thing if you want to look into what's inside.' She is right - it is fascinating - with tours of both the men's and women's gyms, pictures of the coaches and gymnasts, and all the different areas, including a reception with displays of awards and the rehabilitation and recovery facilities.  Take some time to click on the arrows and try out all of the different features.  It is in Russian but the tools are reasonably intuitive and if you have a basic grasp of the Cyrillic alphabet you can make sense of the whole. Scrolling round the panorama makes me feel a little bit dizzy and also gives a slightly distorted perspective to some of the views, which I think is a characteristic...

Simone and the others - results and reflections

In the end, it was as predicted : Simone and the others, with Simone's teammate, Alexandra Raisman, providing the back up.  I do not need to point out that, by definition, the Americans are scoring significantly higher marks than the rest of the field.  Congratulations to them! Aliya Mustafina finished in third place.  The 2012 bronze medalist led the competition after vault and uneven bars, but had a very nervous outing on beam that might have taken a less experienced gymnast out of the medals.  A bravura performance on floor brought Aliya back though to confirm her third place all around.  From her senior debut in 2010 to today, Mustafina has continuously set high standards of grace.    It is the first time since 2000 that a gymnast (Amanar) has medalled in the all around at two consecutive Olympics, and  if Aliya can medal on Saturday's uneven bars final, she will once again be Russia's biggest medal winner of the women's gymnastics.  Russ...

Viktoria Komova - apology

Viktoria wrote some hasty words last night in the heat of the moment.  We all have such times, when hurt feelings lead us to behave uncharacteristically.  It is not important what she said; it is important that Vika has reflected and wants us all to read this message which she published on VK.com this morning. "Dear friends! I want to apologize for my statements about American girls, about drugs, all my words were spoken on emotions. Of course I haven't any proof and didn't really mean it and so on... I am so sorry. I want to apologize for my character to all of you". Vika, we are still with you every step of the way.

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more