Skip to main content

Maria Paseka Superstyle! - interview



Maria Paseka and her mum.  Courtesy of Superstyle


Lupita translates an interview with 2012 Olympic silver and bronze medal winning gymnast, Maria Paseka!

Once in four years even those who are not experts talk about sport. During the Olympics everyone suffers and supports unknown athletes. Even if an athlete has grown up not far from you, you know the toll he or she had to pay - childhood, health, going to live far away from parents.  Аnna Klesheva is the mum of silver and bronze medalist Maria Paseka.  She watches all the competitions afterwards, when the results are known.

-  I am so worried about Masha that I am afraid to convey my concern. This is why I watch her vaults once the competition is over.

Anna has been working with us for six years. Маsha is the smiling girl who enjoys visiting us when she is not at training camp or competing. Anna comes to visit us after her victory at the Olympics. Maria is now a well-known athlete who grew up before our very eyes.

She intuitively knows that nothing in our relationship has changed at the editorial offices.  We simply admire her.
 

-  But many people have another kind of relationship with me - they didn’t have time for me, now they phone me.  I find it unpleasant.  As well as when, during the award ceremony, silver medalist Maroney turned aside; I had the feeling I was responsible for her bad performance.  But you could see her landing and the score...



– Masha, I congratulate you once again and I think that after severe surgery, your result is outstanding and, most importantly, promising.

- Thank you. I performed as well as I could, and I am very grateful to my coach, Marina Guanadievna Uliankova and the head coaches – Valentina Rodionenko and Andrei Rodionenko. Andrei Fiodorovich insisted on me learning a second vault for the Olympic final.

— Masha, when you competed, you had the support of many people whom you know and don’t know. And they all want to know how a child begins elite sport, how he or she grows, how he or she lives …




 - For me the most difficult thing was to learn to live without my mum. When I was 13 and I made the national team, I needed a month to adapt. It was very interesting to train for the Olympics, but it was hard after my injury..

- Аre there psychologists helping you to put up with all this?

- There aren’t any. Мy mum helps, I often call her and my “second” mum is Marina Uliankina. And my teammates, of course.

-Do you have time for teenager stuff?



- I love high heels. I buy new shoes wherever I go and I give them to my friends. I cannot wear them due to my injuries.

- Masha, is your life different from that of people of your age who don’t practice sport?

- Some of them study a lot, some do nothing … But I don’t envy them, we’ll have time. I want to read more books. I have had the opportunity to travel around the world, to meet interesting people.

- You have to study between training sessions…

- This is my mum’s favourite subject.

- Anna, could you explain this?

- We had to change schools three times because we changed clubs, аnd the school programme is the same for everyone. In the mornings, Masha went to the gym and I would go to school to deliver the homework she had had time to do.

-Are you happy now that Masha has become a student?

- It’s a shame that her childhood was over so quickly. But it’s easier for me than for other parents.

- Anna, how did Masha become involved in gymnastics?

- She chose it herself.  Once, I went into Masha’s bedroom but the child was not there. 'Mum, find me!'. She was hanging from the ceiling ... I understood that artistic gymnastics was her sport.

- Did you practice gymnastics yourself?

- Not for long. Floor choreography was always difficult for me.

- Маsha, I remember when you quit artistic gymnastics to do acrobatics...

- Yes, my relationship with my coach became difficult and it seemed to me that I didn’t like gymnastics any more. But fortunately, I understood very quickly that artistic gymnastics was my big love.

- Are you going to prepare for Rio de Janeiro?

- I’ll try to make the team and to win. Of course, I’ll have to work hard not to give any ground to the judges. Аnd later I want to open a gym and coach girls...

- Masha, you did grow up after London...

- I think a lot about the future. I’ve almost forgotten my childhood. Still, at home I have my medals, my teddy bears and my Edinorog games... 
















Comments

  1. Cool little interview. I didn't really know much about Paseka before early this year. It's great that she will continue for possibly another quad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very sweet picture..I really thought her mom was her sister!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paseka mentions her "Edinorog games" which I understand to mean "unicorn." Is this a popular thing in Russia? Does it refer to specific brand of games?
    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering last summer - Nelli Kim, her judges and Viktoria Komova

In view of Nelli Kim's recent interview , Lupita and I thought it timely to revisit the performance of some of the WTC President's judges over past competitions ... this article from 27th August 2012 is reposted here, as a reminder. You will find a link to the FIG's newly published book of results at the Olympic Games here .  This year, they have broken down the judge's execution scores so you can see exactly how each judge evaluated the gymnasts' performances.  It makes for interesting reading - if only I had more time to analyse each judge's marking.  A skim reading already highlights multiple inconsistencies in individual judges' marks and makes you wonder why they bother with the jury at all. I have taken the time to look at the reference judges' scores for the top four in the women's all around.  The FIG explains here what their role is, and how they are selected.  I even used my calculator, which is a risky thing in my hands.  M

Andrei Rodionenko explains Russia's performance at Worlds - Lupitatranslates

Rodionenko with European Champion David Belyavski  Courtesy RGF/Elena Mikhailova This is the interview that many people on the internet have already commented on, regarding Andrei Rodionenko's alleged racism.  The original, Russian language version, appears on VTB Bank's website (VTB are sponsors of Russian gymnastics).  It takes cleverer people than me to decide what is racism, what is deliberately perjorative, and what is inferred in an interviewer's question.  For now, I will not comment on this, therefore, but I would ask you to read Lupita's translation carefully before you form your own opinion.   I am providing some links below which might help you to decide where you stand. Definition of racism Definition of sexism BBC Sport article by Matthew Syed : Is it wrong to note that 100m winners are always black?            Updated 24/10 CSKA Moscow: UEFA opens racist chants case             http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24654499 Andrei

Review of Russian WAG at the 2014 World Championships

The Russians during a team talk in training for the World Championships.  Courtesy RGF Bronze all the way for Russia then.  Beyond the euphoria and surprise of this morning's competition there doesn't really seem to be much to write home about. I am delighted for Aliya personally that the efforts she has made to help the team have provided her with some tangible result, but the principal feeling at the end of the competition is that of relief.  As Vaitsekhovskaya said in her article last week, there were no moments of shock and awe from the Russians, and that's what will be needed if they are to compete for gold medals in Rio (translation available here ). Let's consider a timeline of the competition : before, during and after. BEFORE The promise of a return to the Worlds stage by Viktoria Komova gave Russia a feeling of optimism pre-Russia Cup.  However, Viktoria's performance at this important competition gave little reason for celebration.  Ye