Skip to main content

Two interviews with Angelina Melnikova

First of all, TASS have been discussing Angelina’s plans for the year.  She wants to have a corgi dog, but for now can’t as she’s busy with gymnastics.

https://tass.ru/interviews/26678443

Gymnast Angelina Melnikova: I want a dog, but so far I only have a cactus


In an interview with TASS at the "Forum in the Big City," Olympic gymnastics champion Angelina Melnikova discussed why she loves International Women's Day, her favorite flowers, traveling, her athletic plans, and shared the secret to her perfect figure.


We're talking on the eve of March 8th, which is associated, among other things, with flowers. So, my first questions are about them. Which flowers do you like the most, and which don't you?

— I love peonies. I think they're the most beautiful. But on March 8th, I think tulips seem even more beautiful on this day. Which flowers don't I like? How can you not love flowers? I think I love them all, all beautiful.

— Maybe you don't like cacti?

— By the way, I have cacti at home. I love cacti. I don't have any that I don't like.

— After competing at the Olympic Games, World and European Championships, and Russian Championships and Cups, as a winner or runner-up of these competitions, you've been presented with bouquets on the podium dozens, if not hundreds, of times. Which bouquet was the most memorable?

— Someone said the questions would be simple, but these are the hardest ones (laughs). Let's put it this way: big bouquets are the most memorable.


How do you usually celebrate March 8th? Any thoughts on how you'll celebrate the upcoming International Women's Day?

— I usually celebrate by working out, naturally (laughs). But this year it's Sunday, so I hope I'll be able to celebrate quietly.

—- Can this holiday be compared to a birthday or New Year's?

— I love March 8th. I'm always in a good mood on this day, with lots of little treats. I seem to remember last year on this day, I got into a taxi, and the driver gave me a tulip.

— It's impossible to imagine any big holiday without a festive table, which is why some people leave with extra pounds. What's usually on your festive table?

— I always eat a lot. So I'm quite fit in that regard. But generally, I love coming home to my mom cooking something delicious and home-cooked. She bakes chicken or makes borscht. I really love potato pancakes.

— How have you managed to stay in such great shape for so many years? Do you have a secret diet?

— I don't have any special diet. I just constantly watch my diet.

— What advice would you give to people who want to lose weight but can't?

— Eating less at night is the best advice.

— You competed in Italy at the end of February. Do you like that country? If so, why?

— I really like Italy. It's delicious, exciting, vibrant, and loud. It's incredibly warm there now. I'm heading back there in a week for the second stage of Serie A.

— Tell me about some of the coolest places you've visited in Italy?

— I was in Modena, a small town. But Italian provincial towns are distinguished by their special coziness and food. Each province has its own unique character.

— Are there any other countries you'd like to return to again and again?

— I'd like to return to Switzerland. I always love returning to Italy.

— You founded your own artistic gymnastics school in your native Voronezh several years ago. Is it still functioning? They say you've had to face quite a few challenges. Please share them.

— The school is still functioning. I have many questions about development. I've often said that I want to develop, but that's not possible right now—I chose sport, and I don't have enough time to devote to school. So, it's just functioning like this for now.

— Do you have pets?

— I don't have pets, and that's very sad. I really want a dog. But I have a cactus (laughs).

— What breed?

— The cactus? Just a small cactus. I like a corgi—I would choose one.

— You remain an active athlete, the leader of the Russian women's artistic gymnastics team. What are your plans for this season and this Olympic cycle in general?

— I have one more stage in Italy ahead of me, then the Russian Cup. Then the Serie A final in Italy and the Russian Championships, the European Championships, and the World Championships. That's the plan. The main goal is to qualify for the World Championships from the European Championships, and from the World Championships, for the Olympic Games. For now, we're eager to go to the European Championships—we haven't been there in a while, and we don't know whether we'll be admitted as a team or if we'll have to qualify individually. Right now, we're waiting.



You can also watch a 46 Questions interview with Angelina which gives details of her earnings, supposedly.  She gave her car from the 2016 Olympics to her parents.  


46 questions - video interview with Angelina Melnikova.  In the English, it’s dubbed so comes across as very unnatural.  


English: https://youtu.be/h4IU0o-Ewtc?si=N0TV0D5wzotikKdE

Russian : https://vkvideo.ru/video-177525068_456243637


Finally, wish Angelina ànd Arseny Dukhno all the best as they embark on their next trips to Italy for the Serie À competition.  Also Ludmilla Roschina, Milana Kaiumova, Alexander Kartsev ànd Savelli Seiitin are making their way to Antalya for the next stage of the World Cup.  Good luck to all the gymnasts.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Virtual tour of Lake Krugloye

Ksenia from Russia wrote to me as follows : 'I decided to write about a little update on this site .  Suddenly you do not know but you may be interested in "The virtual gym" where you can see the training center for gymnastics at the "Round Lake" A very interesting thing if you want to look into what's inside.' She is right - it is fascinating - with tours of both the men's and women's gyms, pictures of the coaches and gymnasts, and all the different areas, including a reception with displays of awards and the rehabilitation and recovery facilities.  Take some time to click on the arrows and try out all of the different features.  It is in Russian but the tools are reasonably intuitive and if you have a basic grasp of the Cyrillic alphabet you can make sense of the whole. Scrolling round the panorama makes me feel a little bit dizzy and also gives a slightly distorted perspective to some of the views, which I think is a characteristic...

Simone and the others - results and reflections

In the end, it was as predicted : Simone and the others, with Simone's teammate, Alexandra Raisman, providing the back up.  I do not need to point out that, by definition, the Americans are scoring significantly higher marks than the rest of the field.  Congratulations to them! Aliya Mustafina finished in third place.  The 2012 bronze medalist led the competition after vault and uneven bars, but had a very nervous outing on beam that might have taken a less experienced gymnast out of the medals.  A bravura performance on floor brought Aliya back though to confirm her third place all around.  From her senior debut in 2010 to today, Mustafina has continuously set high standards of grace.    It is the first time since 2000 that a gymnast (Amanar) has medalled in the all around at two consecutive Olympics, and  if Aliya can medal on Saturday's uneven bars final, she will once again be Russia's biggest medal winner of the women's gymnastics.  Russ...

Mustafina, Melnikova and Afanasyeva - Russia’s three divas train together to the tunes of Michael Jackson

M elnikova, Mustafina and Afanasyeva take creative control at Round Lake.     You can see the video on Angelina Melnikova’s YouTube channel. They are discussing a new floor routine for Angelina; she wants to dance to Michael Jackson. Afanasyeva, 2012 Olympic medalist and a world champion on the floor, has been a choreographer for the national team for a few years now.    She says, ‘Gel, first we need to understand the plan—what we’re actually doing.’ They discuss how many tumbles Angelina will perform, and where the tumbles will come in the routine.    Angelina says, she likes ‘Billie Jean’, it’s her favourite … But Afanasyeva has other ideas, linking into the dance shapes she has seen in a video: ‘Thriller . Start with  Thriller . It begins with that image, right from the beginning when it starts.’    She shows us the dance. ‘I suggest taking a 1.5-minute or 1-minute segment of the dance directly.’ They promise to be in touch by email. ...

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more