Skip to main content

Nikolai Kuksenkov: 'I did not think I would be so successful'

Lupita has translated this interview with Russian lead MAG, Nikolai Kuksenkov, from Ukraine Today, dated 2nd August.

24 year old Nikolai Kuksenkov performs for Russia at the recent Universiade in Kazan


Nikolai Kuksenkov, Ukraine’s former leader and now a member of the Russian team, talks here about his golden debut under the flag of another country and the dismissal of his father and coach from the national team of Ukraine.

Nikolai, at the Universiade in Kazan you won three gold medals - team, AA and pommel horse. I am sure you are happy with your performance.

Of course, I am more than happy with my results at the Universiade. I didn’t think that after my injury my first AA competition would be so successful.

After the Universiade you went to Italy. What was the goal of your trip?

I went to rest in Porto San Giorgio. I liked it very much. It was good to go to the beach, because very soon we will start to prepare for the World Championships, and I won’t have the chance then to go to the seaside. There was a gymnastics hall where the Italian team was training. I trained with them to remain fit.

Tell me, why couldn’t you compete before for the Russian team? In principle you had to be granted your passport in the winter...
 
No, in the winter I hadn’t been granted citizenship. I was granted citizenship in April after the European Championsips. A week later, I received my Russian passport.

Do you like the city where you live - Vladimir?
 
Yes, I do. It’s smaller than Kiev and it lacks a lot of things you can find in the Ukrainian capital. But I went to Vladimir to train and compete, not to make comparisons.

The Ukrainian men’s team has a new head coach – Alexandr Gorin. The Sports Ministry didn’t renew your father’s contract.
 
I can say that the Federation has the right to hire whoever they want as head coach. Yet, in gymnastics, like in other sports, the sports principle still exists. I am not going to explain the merits of the men’s Ukrainian team over the past four years. I am convinced that my father fulfilled his duties 200%.

What do you advise your father to do: stay in the Ukraine or to go and work abroad?
 
My father is now looking for a job abroad because he is unemployed in the Ukraine. He is analyzing different work offers. Such a specialist will easily find a job abroad.

The atmosphere in the Russian team is better to achieve good results than in the Ukrainian team?
 
The most important component of the atmosphere in all teams is love for hard work.

In the Ukraine the reaction was not very good when you decided to compete in a different team. Do you follow those reactions?
 
Sometimes I receive some information, but I don’t follow it very closely...

According to you, who is the strongest gymnast of the Ukrainian team: Oleg Verniayev, Oleg Stepko or Igor Radivilov?
 
They are the three Ukrainians leaders. Each one if them has his own strengths.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simone and the others - results and reflections

In the end, it was as predicted : Simone and the others, with Simone's teammate, Alexandra Raisman, providing the back up.  I do not need to point out that, by definition, the Americans are scoring significantly higher marks than the rest of the field.  Congratulations to them! Aliya Mustafina finished in third place.  The 2012 bronze medalist led the competition after vault and uneven bars, but had a very nervous outing on beam that might have taken a less experienced gymnast out of the medals.  A bravura performance on floor brought Aliya back though to confirm her third place all around.  From her senior debut in 2010 to today, Mustafina has continuously set high standards of grace.    It is the first time since 2000 that a gymnast (Amanar) has medalled in the all around at two consecutive Olympics, and  if Aliya can medal on Saturday's uneven bars final, she will once again be Russia's biggest medal winner of the women's gymnastics.  Russ...

Virtual tour of Lake Krugloye

Ksenia from Russia wrote to me as follows : 'I decided to write about a little update on this site .  Suddenly you do not know but you may be interested in "The virtual gym" where you can see the training center for gymnastics at the "Round Lake" A very interesting thing if you want to look into what's inside.' She is right - it is fascinating - with tours of both the men's and women's gyms, pictures of the coaches and gymnasts, and all the different areas, including a reception with displays of awards and the rehabilitation and recovery facilities.  Take some time to click on the arrows and try out all of the different features.  It is in Russian but the tools are reasonably intuitive and if you have a basic grasp of the Cyrillic alphabet you can make sense of the whole. Scrolling round the panorama makes me feel a little bit dizzy and also gives a slightly distorted perspective to some of the views, which I think is a characteristic...

Viktoria Komova - apology

Viktoria wrote some hasty words last night in the heat of the moment.  We all have such times, when hurt feelings lead us to behave uncharacteristically.  It is not important what she said; it is important that Vika has reflected and wants us all to read this message which she published on VK.com this morning. "Dear friends! I want to apologize for my statements about American girls, about drugs, all my words were spoken on emotions. Of course I haven't any proof and didn't really mean it and so on... I am so sorry. I want to apologize for my character to all of you". Vika, we are still with you every step of the way.

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more