Skip to main content

Anna Pavlova ... after all these years

Anna Pavlova, 2004.  Courtesy of Sing Lo

Anna Pavlova, 2004 and 2008 Olympian, is still competing after all these years and put in a grand showing at this weekend's (2nd November) Schiltigheim Tournament in France, placing first ahead of home favourites Amelie Pauffert, Manon Cormoreche and Johanna Cano and established internationals Krystyna Palesova and Marina Kostiuchenko.

Still competing with heavy strapping on her once gravely injured right knee, Pavlova's work has retained its languid and musical presentation but does not have the pace or difficulty of many of today's top performers.  She still manages a whip to triple twist as her first tumble on floor, and her beam shows all of that magical sense of magnetism and balance that has always been characteristic of her work.  

I do not know if Pavlova would be mentally or physically capable of the intensive training and competition undertaken by the Russian team today.  But the nature of her exile from that elite group will always be questioned while so much remains unsaid as to the state of management of the Russian team, and while she can still turn out performances like these: with thanks to Ninalfee.

Full results are available here.


Comments

  1. It's good that she is still competing if she wants to. She is doing what she loves. Does she get prize money for these meets or is it just World Cup?

    Also can she enter into a WC or does the federation get the choice of who goes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Presumably there must be some incentive for Pavlova to compete at these events, even if it is only that the organisers pay her travel and other costs.
      Gymnasts have to be training with the national team to be selected for World Cup events. While she is a sentimental favourite. I do not think there is much strategic progressive advantage for Russia to factor Pavlova onto the team at this stage of her career.
      Though she may prove me wrong :-)

      Delete
    2. Ah I see. I agree, I don't think she can factor into the national team, her difficulty is too low and I am not sure she is what she use to be. She might be sentimental favorite but I wasn't one of those people who thought she should have made the Olympic team.

      I was just wondering, since she has little chance of making the Russian team, if she is able to still be making some money doing these events despite that. I mean, I understand that she loves the sport and isn't ready to leave but life is hard,so I hope she would still be earning some money or something.

      Or they could put her on the team and just send her to a couple WC events so she can make some money :)

      Delete
  2. If I were a national team diving coach I would bring Anna aboard and begin packing for Rio. I am not sure how she would feel about an aquatic life, but her knee would probably be grateful. And who knows, maybe her finances too.

    'Russian Olympian becomes USA Diving Hopeful' is a headline she could take to the bank.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Simone and the others - results and reflections

In the end, it was as predicted : Simone and the others, with Simone's teammate, Alexandra Raisman, providing the back up.  I do not need to point out that, by definition, the Americans are scoring significantly higher marks than the rest of the field.  Congratulations to them! Aliya Mustafina finished in third place.  The 2012 bronze medalist led the competition after vault and uneven bars, but had a very nervous outing on beam that might have taken a less experienced gymnast out of the medals.  A bravura performance on floor brought Aliya back though to confirm her third place all around.  From her senior debut in 2010 to today, Mustafina has continuously set high standards of grace.    It is the first time since 2000 that a gymnast (Amanar) has medalled in the all around at two consecutive Olympics, and  if Aliya can medal on Saturday's uneven bars final, she will once again be Russia's biggest medal winner of the women's gymnastics.  Russ...

Viktoria Komova - apology

Viktoria wrote some hasty words last night in the heat of the moment.  We all have such times, when hurt feelings lead us to behave uncharacteristically.  It is not important what she said; it is important that Vika has reflected and wants us all to read this message which she published on VK.com this morning. "Dear friends! I want to apologize for my statements about American girls, about drugs, all my words were spoken on emotions. Of course I haven't any proof and didn't really mean it and so on... I am so sorry. I want to apologize for my character to all of you". Vika, we are still with you every step of the way.

Russia defend team silver medal in Rio

It was an emotional performance and an emotional reaction at the end - but Russia is now second in the world in both MAG and WAG! The team did well, exploiting its strengths on bars and vault, and holding its own on beam.  Seda Tutkhalyan really showed her maturity and mettle with an almost perfect showing on beam and a solid, if not faultless, display on floor.  Maria Paseka did her best ever Amanar vault.  Aliya Mustafina ... was Mustafina.  Taking her fifth Olympic medal here, she scored over 60 in the AA.   The best work did come from the 2012 veterans, although Seda on beam and Daria on bars do have that special mark of Russian innovation and skill.  Angelina Melnikova looked perhaps a little overwhelmed at times - though I personally love her emotion - but this was only her first Olympics and I am certain she will be back for more.  Should she have had her personal coach on the floor with her?  It might have given her more assurance.  I...

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more