Skip to main content

Olympic hopes of the legendary CSKA - video

Sadly, the video I posted a link to a few days ago - of 1986 training in Moscow - has been deleted.

In searching for an alternative, I found this August news piece from Russia 2 which may interest those of you who are concerned about Russia's preparation for next year's Olympics.  The video features Aliya Mustafina and Anastasia Grishina.



Thanks to Queensblade 2011 on whose channel this appears.

ScarletStilleto has kindly posted a translation in the comments section, which reads as follows :

Anastasiya: It was not my plan to join a gymnastics team, because I was after figure skating school. But I met a gymnastics coach who invited me to the school of gymnastics. So my mom enrolled me in to the gymnastics school.
Reporter: So it was your mum who brought here. But why this particular club (CSKA)?
Anastasiya: It was the closest to our house.
Reporter: But what differs this school from others?
Anastasiya: I have no idea, because I have never been to the other clubs.

Aliya: I was 6 years old when my father enrolled me in to this gymnastics school (called CSKA). The thing is, my father is a sportsman too and used to train here as well.
Reporter: Why is that? Did he explain why he did this?
Aliya: No, he did not. But I guess it was because he still trains in here and has a lot of friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Virtual tour of Lake Krugloye

Ksenia from Russia wrote to me as follows : 'I decided to write about a little update on this site .  Suddenly you do not know but you may be interested in "The virtual gym" where you can see the training center for gymnastics at the "Round Lake" A very interesting thing if you want to look into what's inside.' She is right - it is fascinating - with tours of both the men's and women's gyms, pictures of the coaches and gymnasts, and all the different areas, including a reception with displays of awards and the rehabilitation and recovery facilities.  Take some time to click on the arrows and try out all of the different features.  It is in Russian but the tools are reasonably intuitive and if you have a basic grasp of the Cyrillic alphabet you can make sense of the whole. Scrolling round the panorama makes me feel a little bit dizzy and also gives a slightly distorted perspective to some of the views, which I think is a characteristic...

Simone and the others - results and reflections

In the end, it was as predicted : Simone and the others, with Simone's teammate, Alexandra Raisman, providing the back up.  I do not need to point out that, by definition, the Americans are scoring significantly higher marks than the rest of the field.  Congratulations to them! Aliya Mustafina finished in third place.  The 2012 bronze medalist led the competition after vault and uneven bars, but had a very nervous outing on beam that might have taken a less experienced gymnast out of the medals.  A bravura performance on floor brought Aliya back though to confirm her third place all around.  From her senior debut in 2010 to today, Mustafina has continuously set high standards of grace.    It is the first time since 2000 that a gymnast (Amanar) has medalled in the all around at two consecutive Olympics, and  if Aliya can medal on Saturday's uneven bars final, she will once again be Russia's biggest medal winner of the women's gymnastics.  Russ...

Mustafina, Melnikova and Afanasyeva - Russia’s three divas train together to the tunes of Michael Jackson

M elnikova, Mustafina and Afanasyeva take creative control at Round Lake.     You can see the video on Angelina Melnikova’s YouTube channel. They are discussing a new floor routine for Angelina; she wants to dance to Michael Jackson. Afanasyeva, 2012 Olympic medalist and a world champion on the floor, has been a choreographer for the national team for a few years now.    She says, ‘Gel, first we need to understand the plan—what we’re actually doing.’ They discuss how many tumbles Angelina will perform, and where the tumbles will come in the routine.    Angelina says, she likes ‘Billie Jean’, it’s her favourite … But Afanasyeva has other ideas, linking into the dance shapes she has seen in a video: ‘Thriller . Start with  Thriller . It begins with that image, right from the beginning when it starts.’    She shows us the dance. ‘I suggest taking a 1.5-minute or 1-minute segment of the dance directly.’ They promise to be in touch by email. ...

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more