Skip to main content

Developing this blog

Cor.  When I began this blog, only a couple of months ago, I never realised quite how much goes on in the constantly evolving world of Russian gymnastics.  I started out by wanting to look back to try to make some sense of what might be happening now and in the future.  As it turns out, current events are enough to keep me occupied, although I expect - jolly well hope - there will be some fallow weeks and months when I will get the chance to be more reflective again.

The internet has opened up gymnastics amazingly.  I can remember when every speck of information I could gain about the Soviet gymnasts was precious.  We had to wait months for the results of even the largest competitions.  I remember, for example, tuning into the BBC World Service at midnight to hear the results of the women's all around at the 1985 World Championships, only to disbelieve the report I had heard (Shushunova tied Omelianchik) and to have to wait another few days for highlights to appear on the TV.  I would spend hours in Collet's bookshop on Tottenham Court Road scouring the books and magazines for even the shortest mention of my heroes.  Today, I have a loft full of ancient copies of Sovietski Sport (I can't even speak Russian and still don't know what the majority of them say) and the English language, Soviet produced Sport in the USSR.  It probably won't be long, relatively speaking, before I acquire a scanner and, allowing for appropriate copyright attribution, post some of the more intriguing pieces here.  They still give me a thrill when I see them, the touched up pictures with added eyeliner (you might know what I mean if you have ever seen a Soviet era newspaper picture of a politician, sportsman or astronaut) and the mysterious, flowery, emotional language of Soviet sports.

Of course, my perception of this time is being challenged by my writing of this blog, which inevitably involves closer reading of contemporary issues as well as the past.  Rodienenko recently said: there is no Soviet gymnastics training, only good gymnastics training.  This made me stop and think.  I am not the only one who has labelled a particular kind of gymnastics 'Soviet', but I am now beginning to question whether this attribution of political, cultural and temporal characteristics to a particular type of gymnastics is not flawed.  Perhaps all I have been thinking of is a time when gymnastics was much BETTER.  Perhaps it will get better again ... ???  (Edited 21/11: Then again, what was it that made them so much better ...)

Now, of course, we have everything to hand, immediately, and you become aware of how constantly active gymnasts are.  No sooner have I posted the results of local competitions in Russia than I find the details of another international junior competition in France.  This can be wonderful, but I think we all suffer from information overload from time to time, and trying to keep track of the multiple sources of data can be exhausting.  My aim for blog now is to provide a central point of access to as much of the Russian gymnastics-focussed primary information as I can manage, in addition to an outlet for my voice and reflections on past and contemporary issues.  I trust this is considered a useful addition to the excellent work others are doing, both on the internet and in print.  I am inevitably drawing prompts from other blogs and forums, in particular the excellent All Around Forum.  A list of the key blogs I refer to are provided and I continue to try to provide attribution wherever I can.

I am considering adding new pages to this blog to locate the bibliography, video links and other similar listings which I think probably go unnoticed and unused otherwise.  The librarian in me also wants to add an index to names, dates and competitions to facilitate research.  Whether I can do this or not depends on the availability of time, but also my ability to find an appropriate technical solution.  I had better get down to thinking about this relatively soon, so that the task does not become overwhelming.

I briefly closed comments on this blog after a particularly nasty, profanity-filled remark made by an anonymous poster.  But I have re-opened them again today, and trust this will encourage appropriate discussion.  If you have any thoughts on how this blog could continue to be useful, I would be very happy to hear them.  Please keep reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Russia Cup - the road to Nanning!

The Russian MAG and WAG teams take their preparation for World Championships in Nanning one step further this week, as key players compete in the annual Russia Cup in Penza.  There will be team, all around and event finals. The WAG team Last year the gymnasts were rather depleted and suffering the effects of injury; this year the national squad is still short of some of its top members, but has greater diversity and experience up and coming into the ranks, so it will be an interesting time.  Last year saw St Petersburg gymnast and fan favourite Tatiana Nabiyeva lead the all around, ahead of Alla Sosnitskaya, Anna Pavlova, Anna Rodionova, Ekaterina Kramarenko and Polina Fyodorova.  With the individual-only World Championships up coming in Antwerp, I remember writing that Russia might well decide to send a team of only three gymnasts, such was the paucity of available talent.  The final reckoning saw Russia fare a little better than this, although performance lacked depth and re

Andrei Rodionenko explains Russia's performance at Worlds - Lupitatranslates

Rodionenko with European Champion David Belyavski  Courtesy RGF/Elena Mikhailova This is the interview that many people on the internet have already commented on, regarding Andrei Rodionenko's alleged racism.  The original, Russian language version, appears on VTB Bank's website (VTB are sponsors of Russian gymnastics).  It takes cleverer people than me to decide what is racism, what is deliberately perjorative, and what is inferred in an interviewer's question.  For now, I will not comment on this, therefore, but I would ask you to read Lupita's translation carefully before you form your own opinion.   I am providing some links below which might help you to decide where you stand. Definition of racism Definition of sexism BBC Sport article by Matthew Syed : Is it wrong to note that 100m winners are always black?            Updated 24/10 CSKA Moscow: UEFA opens racist chants case             http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24654499 Andrei

Komova, Grishina, Afanasyeva, Kuksenkov on roster for Voronin Cup, 15-17 December

2012 Olympians Viktoria Komova, Anastasia Grishina, Ksenia Afanasyeva, and Nikolai Kuksenkov will compete in the Voronin Cup, Moscow, 15-17 December.   Aliya Mustafina, Emin Garibov, Denis Ablyazin and Alexander Balandin are out with injury or in recovery - expect them back next spring. http://itar-tass.com/sport/1629215

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more