Skip to main content

‘I was worried about how I would be received’ - Angelina Melnikova


Highlights of an interview with Angelina Melnikova, three days after her appearance in Paris, via Vk.com.  She departs for the Russian Championships in ten days.  


Sport24 correspondent Anastasia Loginova contacted Angelina and asked her about everything that happened in Paris. 

❓When did you find out you were going to Paris?

💬Just before my vacation in China, around July 25th. I was told there was a stage and I should go. At first, I was very hesitant, because I wanted to focus on the Russian Championships and the World Championships qualifiers. It turned out that I was selected for the Paris trip. Initially, we wanted to focus on a few apparatuses, but then we decided we needed to do the all-around as one of the stages of preparation for the Russian Championships.


❓At what point did you realize what was happening wasn't a dream, but reality? When did this realization dawn on you?

💬Probably when I went to the airport. I realized that everything had finally come together and that this was a direct path to the [international] competition.


❓You usually traveled to all international competitions with a team. This time, it turned out you were completely alone—no boys or other girls. Were you nervous about that?

💬 It added an extra layer of responsibility. Especially since I realized that Russian gymnastics has probably never returned from a competition without a medal.


❓ What was it like to perform in front of 20,000 people?

— Very impressive and inspiring. I was most worried about how the crowd would receive me—due to my long absence from the international arena and the current global situation. When I stepped onto the bars and raised my hand, I heard the crowd erupt. I knew everything was fine.


❓ Could you say this led to a mistake on the bars?

💬 Actually, the mistake was very simple. I later watched videos of all the performances—they showed a bit of fuss. I guess I wanted to do everything really well.


Of course, having fewer competitions has an impact, especially with such a large crowd. It's still an additional burden, both mentally and psychologically. When you're competing in front of 20,000 people, you have to complete your routine, and there's noise, shouting, and whistling from the sidelines. I think the mistake on the uneven bars was accidental. I rushed it.


❓In the beam final, it seemed like you started getting nervous halfway through your routine. What did you feel at that moment?

💬 The competition was on Gymnova apparatus, and they have such an interesting beam—it rotates very poorly, making it difficult to turn. I was nervous before the turn in the squat: I managed to do a double in the qualifications, but in the final, I could only manage a single and a half. That's why part of my routine went a little off.

I thought the judges were going to give me a deduction for artistry, for losing my tempo in the routine. It was a very nerve-wracking moment. By the way, I wasn't the only one having problems with it; the girls were constantly falling on the turn during training, too. It turned out to be a difficult element for us.


❓ Speaking of the vault, you declared a 4.8 difficulty on the second round, but they gave you a 4.2. Do you understand what needs to be improved?

💬 Yes, of course. Overall, the vault wasn't very well prepared because my preparation was a bit rushed for this competition. I wasn't quite ready to jump a difficult vault at full strength onto a hard surface. I hope I'll be able to increase the difficulty by the World Championships.


❓ The Russian Championships are in a couple of weeks. Will you be resuming your full routine?

💬 I plan to return to my basic difficulty level on the floor and uneven bars.


❓ Are you excited about the World Championships?

💬 I haven't recovered from Paris yet to talk about such things. I'm currently focused on the Russian Championships—I'm leaving in 10 days.

I'd really like to go to the World Championships. I know I need to make the program more challenging and improve the quality. There was a World Cup stage in Paris, but the competition was definitely there. The World Championships will be highly competitive—I need to prepare thoroughly

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Virtual tour of Lake Krugloye

Ksenia from Russia wrote to me as follows : 'I decided to write about a little update on this site .  Suddenly you do not know but you may be interested in "The virtual gym" where you can see the training center for gymnastics at the "Round Lake" A very interesting thing if you want to look into what's inside.' She is right - it is fascinating - with tours of both the men's and women's gyms, pictures of the coaches and gymnasts, and all the different areas, including a reception with displays of awards and the rehabilitation and recovery facilities.  Take some time to click on the arrows and try out all of the different features.  It is in Russian but the tools are reasonably intuitive and if you have a basic grasp of the Cyrillic alphabet you can make sense of the whole. Scrolling round the panorama makes me feel a little bit dizzy and also gives a slightly distorted perspective to some of the views, which I think is a characteristic...

Simone and the others - results and reflections

In the end, it was as predicted : Simone and the others, with Simone's teammate, Alexandra Raisman, providing the back up.  I do not need to point out that, by definition, the Americans are scoring significantly higher marks than the rest of the field.  Congratulations to them! Aliya Mustafina finished in third place.  The 2012 bronze medalist led the competition after vault and uneven bars, but had a very nervous outing on beam that might have taken a less experienced gymnast out of the medals.  A bravura performance on floor brought Aliya back though to confirm her third place all around.  From her senior debut in 2010 to today, Mustafina has continuously set high standards of grace.    It is the first time since 2000 that a gymnast (Amanar) has medalled in the all around at two consecutive Olympics, and  if Aliya can medal on Saturday's uneven bars final, she will once again be Russia's biggest medal winner of the women's gymnastics.  Russ...

Mustafina, Melnikova and Afanasyeva - Russia’s three divas train together to the tunes of Michael Jackson

M elnikova, Mustafina and Afanasyeva take creative control at Round Lake.     You can see the video on Angelina Melnikova’s YouTube channel. They are discussing a new floor routine for Angelina; she wants to dance to Michael Jackson. Afanasyeva, 2012 Olympic medalist and a world champion on the floor, has been a choreographer for the national team for a few years now.    She says, ‘Gel, first we need to understand the plan—what we’re actually doing.’ They discuss how many tumbles Angelina will perform, and where the tumbles will come in the routine.    Angelina says, she likes ‘Billie Jean’, it’s her favourite … But Afanasyeva has other ideas, linking into the dance shapes she has seen in a video: ‘Thriller . Start with  Thriller . It begins with that image, right from the beginning when it starts.’    She shows us the dance. ‘I suggest taking a 1.5-minute or 1-minute segment of the dance directly.’ They promise to be in touch by email. ...

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more