Skip to main content

Yuri Korolev interview

Highlights from an interview with the 1981 and 1985 World Champion, from the RGF’s magazine ‘Gymnastika’.  Yuri died suddenly in April 2023.


Are you a children's coach, or do you prefer elite (‘champion coach’).


I like working with adults more. It’s easier with them.  After all, this is my level in gymnastics and it’s easier for me to convey it. You are a nanny with children, all the time you are fighting with yourself: it seems that you have already brought your best to the international platform, but you are busy with “cartwheels” and somersaults.


Would you have won the AA at the 1984 Olympics?


I'm 90 percent sure that I would have won it. It’s impossible to say one hundred percent in sports, but there is no doubt that I could have fought for first place.


On his gymnastics home, the Nikolai Tolkachev School of Gymnastics in Vladimir


They say that on any platform you can immediately recognize gymnasts from the Vladimir school... This is the technique, cleanliness, choreography that has been going on since Tolkachev's time... We are working in the same way now.


On working abroad and being at home


I worked in France and after a while realized: I can’t do it anymore, I want to go home. It had been hard for me for a long time without family, without acquaintances, without friends. There you are alone, absolutely no one needs you, no new friends, nothing. Therefore, I returned and stayed at my native school in Vladimir. We lived close together, as they say, but no one complained, although my wife (a doctor) didn’t even work at the time, and we were raising two children …


-Are you a home person?


Y-a-a-a... I love being at home, especially at the dacha. I always find something to do there: I dig beds, plan, nail... I just like spending time with my family. My favorite time is summer: picking mushrooms, fishing, drinking tea on the terrace on a warm evening ... I wouldn’t even go to Moscow …



Yuri’s honours


Yuri was a Komsomol (Young Communist League) leader for two terms (c 2-3 years) and was captain of the Soviet MAG team.  He competed at senior level from 1981 to 1988.


He won 13 World Championships medals, 13 European, and 12 World Cup (at a time when Worlds and Euros took place once every two years, and the World Cup once every four). (As a comparison, Dmitri Bilozerchev won 12 World Championship medals and 11 at Europeans.)


The Soviet team did not take part in the 1984 Olympics.  First, in 1980, the USA boycotted the Moscow Olympics; then in 1984, the USSR boycotted the LA Olympics.  This is why so many brilliant Soviet athletes of that era (Yurchenko, Mostepanova, Ilienko eg) have no Olympic honours.   


The 1987 World Championships were very closely fought.  Dmitri Bilozerchev took the gold, with Yuri in second place by only .025 after three days of competition.  In those days the scores were cumulative, including the averages from the team competition (compulsory + optional) and the AA.  


The Soviet team was incredibly strong.  Valeri Liukin would have qualified for the AA ahead of Yuri but he had to withdraw with an injury.  Yuri’s team mate from Vladimir, Vladimir Artemov, took third place in the AA - and then went on to win the Olympic AA title.  


Yuri missed out on the 1984 Olympics because his country didn’t compete there.  He was on the Olympic team for the 1988 Olympics, but snapped his Achilles tendon a few days before the team travelled to Seoul.  


He was one of the greatest gymnasts ever, and is missed.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simone and the others - results and reflections

In the end, it was as predicted : Simone and the others, with Simone's teammate, Alexandra Raisman, providing the back up.  I do not need to point out that, by definition, the Americans are scoring significantly higher marks than the rest of the field.  Congratulations to them! Aliya Mustafina finished in third place.  The 2012 bronze medalist led the competition after vault and uneven bars, but had a very nervous outing on beam that might have taken a less experienced gymnast out of the medals.  A bravura performance on floor brought Aliya back though to confirm her third place all around.  From her senior debut in 2010 to today, Mustafina has continuously set high standards of grace.    It is the first time since 2000 that a gymnast (Amanar) has medalled in the all around at two consecutive Olympics, and  if Aliya can medal on Saturday's uneven bars final, she will once again be Russia's biggest medal winner of the women's gymnastics.  Russ...

Virtual tour of Lake Krugloye

Ksenia from Russia wrote to me as follows : 'I decided to write about a little update on this site .  Suddenly you do not know but you may be interested in "The virtual gym" where you can see the training center for gymnastics at the "Round Lake" A very interesting thing if you want to look into what's inside.' She is right - it is fascinating - with tours of both the men's and women's gyms, pictures of the coaches and gymnasts, and all the different areas, including a reception with displays of awards and the rehabilitation and recovery facilities.  Take some time to click on the arrows and try out all of the different features.  It is in Russian but the tools are reasonably intuitive and if you have a basic grasp of the Cyrillic alphabet you can make sense of the whole. Scrolling round the panorama makes me feel a little bit dizzy and also gives a slightly distorted perspective to some of the views, which I think is a characteristic...

Viktoria Komova - apology

Viktoria wrote some hasty words last night in the heat of the moment.  We all have such times, when hurt feelings lead us to behave uncharacteristically.  It is not important what she said; it is important that Vika has reflected and wants us all to read this message which she published on VK.com this morning. "Dear friends! I want to apologize for my statements about American girls, about drugs, all my words were spoken on emotions. Of course I haven't any proof and didn't really mean it and so on... I am so sorry. I want to apologize for my character to all of you". Vika, we are still with you every step of the way.

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more