Skip to main content

Listunova and the rest

 If you can make your way to Viktoria Listunova’s Instagram site, you will be able to see her practising FX and BB.  I’m not sure where her D values stand - earlier this year the RGF was advertising them as the highest in the world, but then they would, wouldn’t they?  But it pleases my heart to see the quality and line of her work - the beautiful wolf turns, in particular, which Russia transformed at the Olympics. 


I do pray hard for peace in Ukraine and Russia, and I understand on a political level why Russia as a team is banned from competing internationally.  But on a personal, sporting level - wherever will the women’s sport of gymnastics go without gymnasts like Listunova and Urazova and Melnikova?  


It’s plain that America at least has thrown good execution to the four winds, and is putting its trust in high difficulty values to dominate the scores (and they are probably right in thinking that this will see them win gold in Antwerp). 


There is such a lot of hype about them since the Classic - and I understand that they are dynamic, have high levels of difficulty etc.  But with the exception of a few passes in even fewer routines, the quality of the gymnastics is terrible.  It’s a slapdash, sloppy approach to the sport that pays very little respect to its roots of virtuosity and accuracy - and it’s not even particularly safe - Biles feels the need to be spotted during her vault.  


We all have our opinions - this is mine.  Let’s hope that other countries can keep the ‘artistic’ in artistic gymnastics alive.

Comments

  1. I totally agree! It used to be like watching an artistic performance to watch the Olympic gymnastics competition. Nowadays the Americans put on sloppy looking tumbling exercises with supposedly high degree of difficulty that the lay person can’t distinguish anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what's sad? I can't even enjoy Simone's gymnastics anymore. Once the novelty of whatever crazy upgrade she's pulling wears off it's hard not to notice how she's gotten worse too. Like you said, she represented the pinnacle of what is worthwhile about American power style gymnastics. So if even her gymnastics can't hide the ugliness, I think it's time to revamp the sport.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ban them. Ban England too. The same rules need to apply to everybody

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Simone and the others - results and reflections

In the end, it was as predicted : Simone and the others, with Simone's teammate, Alexandra Raisman, providing the back up.  I do not need to point out that, by definition, the Americans are scoring significantly higher marks than the rest of the field.  Congratulations to them! Aliya Mustafina finished in third place.  The 2012 bronze medalist led the competition after vault and uneven bars, but had a very nervous outing on beam that might have taken a less experienced gymnast out of the medals.  A bravura performance on floor brought Aliya back though to confirm her third place all around.  From her senior debut in 2010 to today, Mustafina has continuously set high standards of grace.    It is the first time since 2000 that a gymnast (Amanar) has medalled in the all around at two consecutive Olympics, and  if Aliya can medal on Saturday's uneven bars final, she will once again be Russia's biggest medal winner of the women's gymnastics.  Russ...

Viktoria Komova - apology

Viktoria wrote some hasty words last night in the heat of the moment.  We all have such times, when hurt feelings lead us to behave uncharacteristically.  It is not important what she said; it is important that Vika has reflected and wants us all to read this message which she published on VK.com this morning. "Dear friends! I want to apologize for my statements about American girls, about drugs, all my words were spoken on emotions. Of course I haven't any proof and didn't really mean it and so on... I am so sorry. I want to apologize for my character to all of you". Vika, we are still with you every step of the way.

Russia defend team silver medal in Rio

It was an emotional performance and an emotional reaction at the end - but Russia is now second in the world in both MAG and WAG! The team did well, exploiting its strengths on bars and vault, and holding its own on beam.  Seda Tutkhalyan really showed her maturity and mettle with an almost perfect showing on beam and a solid, if not faultless, display on floor.  Maria Paseka did her best ever Amanar vault.  Aliya Mustafina ... was Mustafina.  Taking her fifth Olympic medal here, she scored over 60 in the AA.   The best work did come from the 2012 veterans, although Seda on beam and Daria on bars do have that special mark of Russian innovation and skill.  Angelina Melnikova looked perhaps a little overwhelmed at times - though I personally love her emotion - but this was only her first Olympics and I am certain she will be back for more.  Should she have had her personal coach on the floor with her?  It might have given her more assurance.  I...

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more