Skip to main content

Pictures, pictures, pictures ... and an Alexandrov update

2012 Olympian Maria Paseka competes in January 2013



As you may have seen, Gym Blog Brazil has confirmed that Alexander Alexandrov will be remaining in Russia for the time being.  Apparently the Brazilian Federation were unable to strike an appropriate agreement at this moment in time.  There is the possibility of further negotiations later in the year.  But my personal feeling is, given Alexandrov's bond with his personal athlete, Russia's World and Olympic Champion Aliya Mustafina, it seems unlikely that he would leave Russia. 

Let's just hope that Alexandrov is given the appropriate professional freedoms at Lake Krugloye.

I have been building a small gallery of Olga Korbut images drawn from the excellent RIA Novosti archive.   Olga Korbut is where gymnastics began for me at the age of 12.  It's impossible to write enough about this iconic champion, a few pictures say so much more.  You can view the gallery here, at RRG's Facebook page.

Lifje has also provided a link to a wonderful picture archive of Moscow competitions, including pictures from last December's Voronin Cup, and from January's regional championships.  The picture of Maria Paseka at the top of this post comes from that resource.

Comments

  1. Nice that Alexandrov is staying...for now.

    Thanks for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Virtual tour of Lake Krugloye

Ksenia from Russia wrote to me as follows : 'I decided to write about a little update on this site .  Suddenly you do not know but you may be interested in "The virtual gym" where you can see the training center for gymnastics at the "Round Lake" A very interesting thing if you want to look into what's inside.' She is right - it is fascinating - with tours of both the men's and women's gyms, pictures of the coaches and gymnasts, and all the different areas, including a reception with displays of awards and the rehabilitation and recovery facilities.  Take some time to click on the arrows and try out all of the different features.  It is in Russian but the tools are reasonably intuitive and if you have a basic grasp of the Cyrillic alphabet you can make sense of the whole. Scrolling round the panorama makes me feel a little bit dizzy and also gives a slightly distorted perspective to some of the views, which I think is a characteristic...

Simone and the others - results and reflections

In the end, it was as predicted : Simone and the others, with Simone's teammate, Alexandra Raisman, providing the back up.  I do not need to point out that, by definition, the Americans are scoring significantly higher marks than the rest of the field.  Congratulations to them! Aliya Mustafina finished in third place.  The 2012 bronze medalist led the competition after vault and uneven bars, but had a very nervous outing on beam that might have taken a less experienced gymnast out of the medals.  A bravura performance on floor brought Aliya back though to confirm her third place all around.  From her senior debut in 2010 to today, Mustafina has continuously set high standards of grace.    It is the first time since 2000 that a gymnast (Amanar) has medalled in the all around at two consecutive Olympics, and  if Aliya can medal on Saturday's uneven bars final, she will once again be Russia's biggest medal winner of the women's gymnastics.  Russ...

Aliya Mustafina - 'each medal is very special'

'I'm very happy that everything turned out well today  ... Each medal is very special.  The UK team made mistakes, so there was a wide margin [of victory]... But naturally, [what I did] is not enough for the Olympics.  I prepared well for beam and bars but I am not ready for floor, I stepped up to help the team. ... To be honest, I did not look at the scores [when asked how the team reacted to the 6.5 gap before the final apparatus].  Gelya (Melnikova) is a good girl, she did everything and did not falter ... Seda fell on quite a complex element.  There is more work to do, but everything else went well.' [About a protest taken by the coaches on her beam score]. 'I am used to my protests being rejected, everything is normal!' Via vk.com I n other news , the UEG has confirmed that Spiridonova will replace Melnikova in tomorrow's bars final. No reason is given, but it is generally considered that Dasha has a better chance of gold.  This decision also means tha...

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more