Skip to main content

No Olympic tickets ;-(

Well, since it now seems highly likely that I won't get tickets for the gymnastics at the Olympics, I thought I would provide a link to I-Gym's blog which provided a very useful set of pictures of the 02 arena.  Just so I can remind myself what a wholly unsuitable arena this is for a gymnastics competition, if you are a spectator with any interest in the sport at all.  I shouldn't feel disappointed at all to miss that aspect of the Olympics!

Goodness, your view could be very limited indeed if you are in the back seats.  In fact, I attended some of the World Championships there a couple of years ago, and I must say it was very difficult to get any 'feel' for the competition at all.  The gymnasts were exactly like little dots and you couldn't follow facial expressions or any of those small details that make attending a live event so special.   So I do have mixed feelings about not spending £450 on two hours' entertainment that might involve the use of binoculars. 

Nevertheless, I would have liked to be there.  Just for the experience.  I guess I might bid for some of the cheaper tickets for Greco Roman wrestling or something in the second round.  Perhaps Mr Mustafin will be there, and maybe he could be persuaded to bring his daughter along to demonstrate some handstands or something. 

Echoing a post on Stoi!, has anyone who reads this blog managed to secure tickets for any of the Olympic competitions?  I know of nobody ... not even friends of friends of friends of somebody posting on the Outer Mongolia gymnastics message board.  In fact I probably know more people likely to qualify to compete at the Olympics than those who have tickets.

Oh well, this is 2011 after all.  The easiest way to get there is probably to smarm up to some disinterested corporate sponsor and see if they can get you in, or let you have their seat while they have a snooze in the bar.  Or you could become a celebrity for a day.

Comments

  1. I got some tickets for qualifications, but I don't know which subdivision :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Queen Elizabeth14 June 2011 at 13:44

    Congratulations, Albert! Thanks goodness one of us got tickets!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Virtual tour of Lake Krugloye

Ksenia from Russia wrote to me as follows : 'I decided to write about a little update on this site .  Suddenly you do not know but you may be interested in "The virtual gym" where you can see the training center for gymnastics at the "Round Lake" A very interesting thing if you want to look into what's inside.' She is right - it is fascinating - with tours of both the men's and women's gyms, pictures of the coaches and gymnasts, and all the different areas, including a reception with displays of awards and the rehabilitation and recovery facilities.  Take some time to click on the arrows and try out all of the different features.  It is in Russian but the tools are reasonably intuitive and if you have a basic grasp of the Cyrillic alphabet you can make sense of the whole. Scrolling round the panorama makes me feel a little bit dizzy and also gives a slightly distorted perspective to some of the views, which I think is a characteristic...

Simone and the others - results and reflections

In the end, it was as predicted : Simone and the others, with Simone's teammate, Alexandra Raisman, providing the back up.  I do not need to point out that, by definition, the Americans are scoring significantly higher marks than the rest of the field.  Congratulations to them! Aliya Mustafina finished in third place.  The 2012 bronze medalist led the competition after vault and uneven bars, but had a very nervous outing on beam that might have taken a less experienced gymnast out of the medals.  A bravura performance on floor brought Aliya back though to confirm her third place all around.  From her senior debut in 2010 to today, Mustafina has continuously set high standards of grace.    It is the first time since 2000 that a gymnast (Amanar) has medalled in the all around at two consecutive Olympics, and  if Aliya can medal on Saturday's uneven bars final, she will once again be Russia's biggest medal winner of the women's gymnastics.  Russ...

Mustafina, Melnikova and Afanasyeva - Russia’s three divas train together to the tunes of Michael Jackson

M elnikova, Mustafina and Afanasyeva take creative control at Round Lake.     You can see the video on Angelina Melnikova’s YouTube channel. They are discussing a new floor routine for Angelina; she wants to dance to Michael Jackson. Afanasyeva, 2012 Olympic medalist and a world champion on the floor, has been a choreographer for the national team for a few years now.    She says, ‘Gel, first we need to understand the plan—what we’re actually doing.’ They discuss how many tumbles Angelina will perform, and where the tumbles will come in the routine.    Angelina says, she likes ‘Billie Jean’, it’s her favourite … But Afanasyeva has other ideas, linking into the dance shapes she has seen in a video: ‘Thriller . Start with  Thriller . It begins with that image, right from the beginning when it starts.’    She shows us the dance. ‘I suggest taking a 1.5-minute or 1-minute segment of the dance directly.’ They promise to be in touch by email. ...

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more