Skip to main content

Alfosov’s opinion on the MAG results at Sochi so far

TASS reports : 


Senior coach of the Russian men's team Valery Alfosov summed up the all-around competition at the Russian Cup


đź’¬ “We stated earlier that we have a young gymnast Marinov growing up, who can become the leader of the national team,” said Alfosov. “And this happened, this year we have had a certain change of generations. Today young gymnasts are very serious competitors to their elders and to more experienced comrades on all apparatuses and even in the all-around. And the fact that at the Russian Cup all-around medals were won by young gymnasts cannot be called an accident, and I am very pleased with the progress of our youth."

“Of course, they still make a lot of mistakes, they still need to work on a lot. But the guys show modern combinations of the international level in order to be competitive in the world,” the coach added.


đź’¬ “After the final in the men’s individual all-around, the audience, I think, is disappointed with Dalaloyan’s performance,” said Alfosov. “But Arthur today made a grave mistake by performing only seven elements in the pommel horse exercise, and in principle there should be at least ten of them. This failure led to a very huge deduction, and Arthur himself dropped out of the fight for medals at the very beginning of the final. And the fact that he did not break down and worked through the entire all-around competition evokes respect for this athlete."

“Dalaloyan is not in the best shape, he devotes a lot of time to social activities. The situation with our non-admission to international competitions, which is going on for the second year, also negatively affects both his mood and the psychological state of other experienced gymnasts. The guys are adults and understand everything. But the fact that they are trying to stay in shape is also true,” the coach added.


đź’¬ “I’m a little surprised by how Vanya Kulyak performed in the all-around,” Alfosov admitted. “This gymnast had a very serious injury, we didn’t see him at the national team training camp for a long time. But he found the strength to recover and perform with dignity. Kulyak after this start has every chance of returning to the national team

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pongo’s predictions for Russia MAG in Rotterdam

Pongo is my AI assistant.  Read here his calculations of who might make the best Russian MAG team at the World Championships in October.  Please do feel free to disagree audibly, in the comments and note that Pongo admits, even he makes mistakes.  I don’t generally write such statistical material, so this may be a one off. With apologies for any errors, mine entirely and I wrote the brief.   Yes. I’ve treated this as a genuine team-construction problem , rather than simply taking the six gymnasts with the highest AA scores. For the calculation I used the most recent strong competitive score available for each gymnast: the Spartakiad scores for Yakubov, Novikov and Kisel , and mainly European Championship team-final/final scores for Dukhno, Marinov, Zaika and Sieedin , supplemented by Russian Championship scores where a recent European score was not available. That matters because Dukhno and Marinov, for example, were substantially stronger in Zagreb than some earlier...

Russia - back to training

Valentina Rodionenko reports that the men's team is in full training at Lake Krugloye. Denis Ablyazin hasn't needed a break and is training 'at full strength' - (and if you subscribe to his Instagram account you will see him practising routines on p bars and high bar). David Belyavski joined training a little late, as he has been abroad on his honeymoon. Maria Paseka is returning to training on the 4th December after taking treatment for a back injury. Rodionenko says that Aliya Mustafina is excused training for the time being - Liubov Baladzhaeva helped with the translation here.  Apparently the gymnasts, as salaried athletes, cannot just take time off without permission from the Federation.  I understand that this means no change to Aliya's competitive status, ie she will not be training or competing for the time being, until such time as she gets bored and decides she wants to make a comeback!  From her Instagram account, Aliya is currently suf...

Olga Mostepanova - from beautiful daydream to World Champion

Young Olga in her white leotard and orange hair bows, at her first international competition in Wembley, 1980 I had only been in the Olympiski Stadium, Moscow, for a few moments when it happened: I found myself surrounded by a little army of tiny children, excitedly chattering away in Russian, a language I don't speak.   I strained my ears and heard the names : Aliya, Nastia, Ksenia; I was swept along by this blizzard of pigtails, giggles and pretty eyes; and suddenly I lost myself, and started looking for Olga Mostepanova amongst them.  She might have been there, but (now in her forties) it is more likely that she was hard at work in her own gym, helping a young gymnast learn how to do a walkover on beam. Mostepanova was always like that, even as a child: her gymnastics appeared like a beautiful daydream, but the reality was infinitely more prosaic.  The exquisite plasticity that made her a Champion, the beautiful line for which she is famous, were the product ...

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more