Skip to main content

Mustafina, Grishina, Paseka, Afanasyeva - four for Moscow

Anastasia Grishina at the Russian Championships in Penza earlier this month.  Picture courtesy of RGF
Nominative registrations are now out for the upcoming European Championships in Moscow.

Women : Aliya Mustafina, Anastasia Grishina, Maria Paseka, Ksenia Afanasyeva

I'm delighted to see Afanasyeva on the team - to me, she is the natural selection over the still developing Evgeniya Shelgunova, whose selection could really only be justified on developmental grounds - and perhaps this could be seen as rather indulgent given the current competitive climate in world gymnastics.  Afanasyeva really adds clout to what is a mature and classy Russian team.  She was also looking on good acrobatic form at the French International recently - perhaps less focussed on her dance, but then since when did this really matter to the scores?

Aliya Mustafina is reportedly competing at the Stella Zakharova Cup in Ukraine this weekend so we shall have a chance to see how her preparations are going.  Both Anastasia Grishina and Ksenia Afanasyeva have put in convincing showings at recent competitions, with Grishina looking much stronger and more confident than in London, in my opinion a legitimate contender for the all around gold, and Afanasyeva hopefully able to fight for a European floor gold to add to her World medal from 2011.

But remember what happened last time Europeans were staged in Moscow - 1987?  There the graceful young Daniela Silivas came in and stole the all around title from young pretender, Alleftina Priakhina, leaving veteran Elena Shushunova with a bronze medal.  I would love to see Romanian Larissa Iordache make a similar impact at this competition and compete closely for a medal in the all around.  European gymnastics needs and deserves a higher profile than it gets and a beautiful podium of Grishina, Mustafina and Iordache would really emphasise the classical artistry that is still so much a characteristic of the sport in these parts of the world.

The Russian men's team includes Denis Ablyazin, David Belyavski, Alexander Balandin, Emin Garibov, newcomer Matvei Petrov and Nikita Ignatyev.    Belyavski and Ignatyeva are going for the all around.

Enjoy Anastasia Grishina's gold medal winning beam routine from last weekend's Cottbus Cup.



Appreciate Ksenia Afanasyeva's floor routine from the French International of two weeks ago:




Comments

  1. Really pleased with Grishina this weekend! While during the Olympics cycle I liked her, I wanted Komova and Mustafina in the AA. But now, I would really like to see Grishina develop into a consistent performer and shake things up in Russia. Haha, as much as I like her I will have a hard time rooting for her to beat Komova or Mustafina this cycle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was obvious that Afan would get picked.

    Europeans will be interesting. Hopefully everyone can hit,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grishina looks good! A little lack of difficulty tho, but that can be added later for important competitions. No point in getting hurt now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw Grishina's performance in Cottbus, I think she's getting along with her new coach and more confident than before... but I think she penalized severely on UB Final, I mean 8.275 E-score for that routine is just unfair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted Nabs to be selected. I don't know how she is doing now, but why hadn't she made it? Did they just don't need her or was she not good enough?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too believe that Tanya should be selected for every national team on grounds of her entertainment value.

      However, I think she is in training for this summer's Universiade rather than in contention for the first team for major competitions. Valentina R has reported that she is training hard with this goal in mind.

      Tatiana is eligible for the Universiade as she attends the Lesgaft Institute. The age restrictions make such gymnasts as Komova and Grishina ineligible, meaning that competition to reach the team is less fierce than for competitions such as Worlds and Euros. I guess that the Universiade may be Nabieva's last major competition, if she makes it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

30 years in elite sport: Oksana Chusovitina

You've been competing internationally for over 30 years. How has gymnastics changed over that time? Is there anything about your sport that has remained the same for decades? First of all, the age has changed. More mature athletes are competing now, which makes me happy. Secondly, the apparatuses. They've become more comfortable and sophisticated. Gymnastics in general has become more challenging, but in my youth, people performed mostly the same elements as they do now. Back then, this was par for the course, but now it surprises many. It's a bit amusing. Has the nature of the training itself changed? For me personally, absolutely. Now, my life isn't just about my athletic career. I'm involved with the Oksana Chusovitina Academy, which was personally opened by the President of Uzbekistan, Shavkat Mirziyoyev. It has 155 students, both girls and boys. I used to train three times a day, but now I train once. The entire afternoon is taken up with the academy and organi...

Tatyana Nabiyeva on work and love in China

Some highlights from a long interview with 2010 World champion Tatyana Nabiyeva.  Source: Russian team page on VK.com.  Translation - Google translate A big interview with Tatyana Nabieva about the peculiarities of work and life in China, the bright years of her sports career, a little about modern gymnastics and about love. On the Nabiyeva flight — At the same championship, you presented a new element on the bars, which was later added to the rules with your last name (flying over the top bar with a straight body, difficulty group F. — Sport24). How did you come up with the idea to try something new? — Actually, it happened spontaneously, I think. We worked with Vera Iosifovna [Kiryashova] on the purity of the elements on the bars, sometimes I didn’t fly all the way to the Shaposhnikova element. Once I didn’t fly all the way to the bars either and stood on my feet between the bars, bending my legs in flight for safety. Then Vera Iosifovna said that this was a different eleme...

Who will travel to Berne? A Russian mystery

Aliya Mustafina and team candidate Seda Tutkhalyan - both from Moscow Five days left before the MAG European Championships open in Switzerland, and Russian gymnast Nikita Nagorny is posting videos of himself practicing a full twisting Roche vault - I wonder if he will compete it in Berne?  The men's team seems fairly well prepared and ready to travel as announced some weeks ago - Kuksenkov, Belyavski, Ignatyev, Nagorny, Ablyazin.  But the composition of the women's team, who will travel to their first major competition of 2016 next week, seems somewhat undecided.  Will Natalia Kapitonova make her major senior debut in June, or will Seda Tutkhalyan, her dynamic yet unpredictable rival, grace Russia's team?  Or will other gymnasts be brought into play; will further, unexpected, changes be made? If head coach Valentina Rodionenko's recent announcement is to be believed, it is a simple case of replacing the injured Maria Paseka (a vault specialist) with Natalia ...

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more