Skip to main content

Russian Nationals EF - floor, beam - videos UPDATE - medal placings

EF at the Russian Nationals this morning - beam and floor, rather than the advertised vault and a-bars. Mustafina did not compete on floor - rather wisely, I think.

I will post results as soon as they become available.

Update : Medallists have been confirmed from sight of the ceremony on streaming video as :

Beam - 1 Afanasyeva; 2 Grishina; 3 Goryunova
Floor - 1 Grishina; 2 Afanasyeva; 3 Belokobylskaya

But the wonderful DanyZ2012 is already posting video grabs of the live coverage this morning. I thoroughly recommend Grishina's floor to you - I think it must be her best routine since the Junior Euros two years ago.



I think she is getting her confidence back ...


Afanasyeva floor


Belokobylskaya floor

Inshina floor


Pavlova floor

Mustafina beam


In my book, Mustafina is allowed a fall.

Rodionova beam

Inshina beam

Afanasyeva beam


Oh glory be to the Goddess Afanasyeva who is even beginning to land vault like Boginskaya.

Belokobylskaya beam

We are playing guess on the scores and final placings for the moment ...

Comments

  1. the results are up. It was finally not Inshina in third (you might have gotten that info from me). http://www.sportgymrus.ru/Admin/GetFile.ashx?get=1&id=16968

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know. I have corrected the post.
      It's a gorgeous day in London and I have been enjoying the sun - will post full updates tomo. x

      Delete
  2. I hope this isnt a stupid question... but I always thought that the Russians trained together at one national training center. But here there were different teams competing against each other. How does that work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are no stupid questions O:-)
      Members of the national team train at Lake Krugloye with the national coaches pretty much most of the time (I'm no expert on this but it's based on interviews and so on). Certainly in Olympic year the gymnasts will be there full time with the exception of planned breaks.
      All the gymnasts began their gymnastics lives at clubs in their home towns. Generally they will remain attached to this home team, their personal coach will be based there and they will return there for training when they are not at the national centre.
      So at Russian nationals the gymnasts compete for their regions. Eg Nabieva would compete for the St Petersburg team, Afanasyeva competes for Central as she hails from Tula and so on.
      If anyone knows any more, please post here ...

      Delete
  3. thank you so so much for your work, again. I hope that it's recognized and widely appreciated. If Russians take gold in London (and I have a feeling that they will), it will be largely your achievement too, since your blog helped us fall in love with the girls and prompted the large number of prayers for their success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's very nice of you to say that.
      I write tge blog for myself to be honest - I love getting comments O:-)
      I also love the Russians, unashamedly - there is no one like them. I've been following them for 40 years and couldn't keep quiet any longer.

      Delete
    2. gymnastics is a sport you live. I grew up living gymnastics, it has made me into a person I am today. I pray that following the journey of these girls inspires you in your own fight.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Virtual tour of Lake Krugloye

Ksenia from Russia wrote to me as follows : 'I decided to write about a little update on this site .  Suddenly you do not know but you may be interested in "The virtual gym" where you can see the training center for gymnastics at the "Round Lake" A very interesting thing if you want to look into what's inside.' She is right - it is fascinating - with tours of both the men's and women's gyms, pictures of the coaches and gymnasts, and all the different areas, including a reception with displays of awards and the rehabilitation and recovery facilities.  Take some time to click on the arrows and try out all of the different features.  It is in Russian but the tools are reasonably intuitive and if you have a basic grasp of the Cyrillic alphabet you can make sense of the whole. Scrolling round the panorama makes me feel a little bit dizzy and also gives a slightly distorted perspective to some of the views, which I think is a characteristic...

Simone and the others - results and reflections

In the end, it was as predicted : Simone and the others, with Simone's teammate, Alexandra Raisman, providing the back up.  I do not need to point out that, by definition, the Americans are scoring significantly higher marks than the rest of the field.  Congratulations to them! Aliya Mustafina finished in third place.  The 2012 bronze medalist led the competition after vault and uneven bars, but had a very nervous outing on beam that might have taken a less experienced gymnast out of the medals.  A bravura performance on floor brought Aliya back though to confirm her third place all around.  From her senior debut in 2010 to today, Mustafina has continuously set high standards of grace.    It is the first time since 2000 that a gymnast (Amanar) has medalled in the all around at two consecutive Olympics, and  if Aliya can medal on Saturday's uneven bars final, she will once again be Russia's biggest medal winner of the women's gymnastics.  Russ...

Mustafina, Melnikova and Afanasyeva - Russia’s three divas train together to the tunes of Michael Jackson

M elnikova, Mustafina and Afanasyeva take creative control at Round Lake.     You can see the video on Angelina Melnikova’s YouTube channel. They are discussing a new floor routine for Angelina; she wants to dance to Michael Jackson. Afanasyeva, 2012 Olympic medalist and a world champion on the floor, has been a choreographer for the national team for a few years now.    She says, ‘Gel, first we need to understand the plan—what we’re actually doing.’ They discuss how many tumbles Angelina will perform, and where the tumbles will come in the routine.    Angelina says, she likes ‘Billie Jean’, it’s her favourite … But Afanasyeva has other ideas, linking into the dance shapes she has seen in a video: ‘Thriller . Start with  Thriller . It begins with that image, right from the beginning when it starts.’    She shows us the dance. ‘I suggest taking a 1.5-minute or 1-minute segment of the dance directly.’ They promise to be in touch by email. ...

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more