Skip to main content

Mustafina : 'I'm not tired of victories'

Mustafina after winning the bronze medal on floor last Tuesday
Lupita translates a Russian press interview with Aliya Mustafina:

After having won the bronze medal in floor, something that she hadn’t expected, Aliya Mustafina became the most titled gymnast of the Russian team at the Olympics!
 
 
- Аliya did you know that?

- I did, and I am very pleased. You know, I never chase medals, but if I win one, I feel like winning more and more...

- But today did you guess that something like that could happen?

- Neither I nor my coach bet on floor. We only wanted to finish the Olympics on a beautiful note. 

- After your victory on bars, you said that the most difficult thing had been to overcome fatigue. If on that day fatigue was already threatening you, it could have “killed” you in the floor finals.

- Тhis is what happened. My feet sank on the floor. But I made myself concentrate!

- I suppose it was difficult to express emotions if your feet were sinking on the floor.

·- I don’t agree with you. Precisely, I was very pleased with my performance emotionally speaking. I lived those moments with delight.

 - You didn’t watch the Olympic champion Isbaza’s performance. She was the one who could leave you without a medal!

- I didn’t watch her. What for? I had done everything I could. If I had finished in fourth place, I wouldn’t have been at all disappointed.

- In London the same thing happened twice to you. With the same score, the medal went to you. This happened in the All Around, and now the Italian Ferrari is in absolute hysterics...

- In those situations the judges take into account the execution score. Mine was higher than Ferrari’s. 

- Rumour has it that you are going to quit after the Olympics. Is it true?

- Who’s said that? On the contrary, I want to continue. I won’t say anything about the Rio Olympics, we’ll see because that’s long–term guessing. In general, I would like to go to Rio. And I would like to compete and win during the next years, I’m not tired of victories. I think that all this is just starting for me. So I’m very serious about it!
 
 

Comments

  1. Again, thanks for the translations.

    I am happy she will continue. I wonder how long, if she does well she can aim for RIO. It's nice she will continue.

    She has gotten so many new fans because of Olympics, and I don't think she realizes that, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mustafina still has so much to give in gymnastics. I think that we will see her back even stronger next year. Would that both Mustafina sisters could have made it to London 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that she's staying. Also, with the downgrade of Amanar, she can just concentrate on her Mustafina vault since its d score will still be 6.1.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Russia Cup - the road to Nanning!

The Russian MAG and WAG teams take their preparation for World Championships in Nanning one step further this week, as key players compete in the annual Russia Cup in Penza.  There will be team, all around and event finals. The WAG team Last year the gymnasts were rather depleted and suffering the effects of injury; this year the national squad is still short of some of its top members, but has greater diversity and experience up and coming into the ranks, so it will be an interesting time.  Last year saw St Petersburg gymnast and fan favourite Tatiana Nabiyeva lead the all around, ahead of Alla Sosnitskaya, Anna Pavlova, Anna Rodionova, Ekaterina Kramarenko and Polina Fyodorova.  With the individual-only World Championships up coming in Antwerp, I remember writing that Russia might well decide to send a team of only three gymnasts, such was the paucity of available talent.  The final reckoning saw Russia fare a little better than this, although performance lacked depth and re

2013 European Championships move to Moscow!

Russia is hosting the forthcoming men's and women's European Gymnastics Championships, scheduled to appear in Moscow (not Kazan, as originally announced) between 17th and 21st April 2013.  You can find more information at the UEG website.  It is a bumper year for Russian international gymnastics competitions, with the Universiade taking place in the ancient city of Kazan (part of which is a UNESCO World Heritage site) in July.  St Basil's Cathedral, Moscow, by night

Komova, Grishina, Afanasyeva, Kuksenkov on roster for Voronin Cup, 15-17 December

2012 Olympians Viktoria Komova, Anastasia Grishina, Ksenia Afanasyeva, and Nikolai Kuksenkov will compete in the Voronin Cup, Moscow, 15-17 December.   Aliya Mustafina, Emin Garibov, Denis Ablyazin and Alexander Balandin are out with injury or in recovery - expect them back next spring. http://itar-tass.com/sport/1629215

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more