Skip to main content

Flashback to USA Gymnastics in the 1990s

In my gymnastics collection that is still gathering dust in my spare room, I have a few copies of a publication called 'Flying Squirrels', produced by a freelance journalist called Keith McCaffety.   This photocopied 'All American Gymnastics Newsletter' was kindly sent to me by friends in America; I never subscribed to the publication directly.

The February 1992 edition included a story about international gymnast Erika Stokes and her experiences in elite gymnastics, including a short section on her life at the Karolyi Ranch.  I seem to remember many more similar stories with details of how the gymnasts were treated there.  Remember, the Karolyis defected to the USA from Romania in 1981.  By 1984 they had made an Olympic Champion of Mary Lou Retton, and by the end of 1991 they had their first World All Around Champion, Kim Zmeskal.  The article about Erika was published in February 1992.

The same edition records a threat of legal action from the USA Gymnastics Federation, whose Director, Mike Jacki, did not like newsletter's fair and frank treatment of gymnastics themes, from injury and abuse to selection procedures.  It is clear that as far back as February 1992 USA Gymnastics preferred to cover things up rather than address problems, and their tactics included coercion and threats.  Nothing much has changed, has it, really.

You can view a PDF of the February 1992 issue here.


I do not intend to change the focus of this blog away from Russian gymnastics issues and opinions.  But events in America have been overwhelming.  I have lots of thoughts about them, and of course my sympathies are with the survivors.  In brief, I firmly believe that gymnastics as a whole needs to do more, and to take the lead in addressing the problems of abuse in sports.  We have all been mesmerised by the pursuit of medals, and we are all guilty of brushing evidence aside.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Virtual tour of Lake Krugloye

Ksenia from Russia wrote to me as follows : 'I decided to write about a little update on this site .  Suddenly you do not know but you may be interested in "The virtual gym" where you can see the training center for gymnastics at the "Round Lake" A very interesting thing if you want to look into what's inside.' She is right - it is fascinating - with tours of both the men's and women's gyms, pictures of the coaches and gymnasts, and all the different areas, including a reception with displays of awards and the rehabilitation and recovery facilities.  Take some time to click on the arrows and try out all of the different features.  It is in Russian but the tools are reasonably intuitive and if you have a basic grasp of the Cyrillic alphabet you can make sense of the whole. Scrolling round the panorama makes me feel a little bit dizzy and also gives a slightly distorted perspective to some of the views, which I think is a characteristic...

Simone and the others - results and reflections

In the end, it was as predicted : Simone and the others, with Simone's teammate, Alexandra Raisman, providing the back up.  I do not need to point out that, by definition, the Americans are scoring significantly higher marks than the rest of the field.  Congratulations to them! Aliya Mustafina finished in third place.  The 2012 bronze medalist led the competition after vault and uneven bars, but had a very nervous outing on beam that might have taken a less experienced gymnast out of the medals.  A bravura performance on floor brought Aliya back though to confirm her third place all around.  From her senior debut in 2010 to today, Mustafina has continuously set high standards of grace.    It is the first time since 2000 that a gymnast (Amanar) has medalled in the all around at two consecutive Olympics, and  if Aliya can medal on Saturday's uneven bars final, she will once again be Russia's biggest medal winner of the women's gymnastics.  Russ...

Viktoria Komova - apology

Viktoria wrote some hasty words last night in the heat of the moment.  We all have such times, when hurt feelings lead us to behave uncharacteristically.  It is not important what she said; it is important that Vika has reflected and wants us all to read this message which she published on VK.com this morning. "Dear friends! I want to apologize for my statements about American girls, about drugs, all my words were spoken on emotions. Of course I haven't any proof and didn't really mean it and so on... I am so sorry. I want to apologize for my character to all of you". Vika, we are still with you every step of the way.

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more